Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2007, 01:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I need lens and am on a tight budget

Hi all,
Here I am again, asking for information and experiences.
I am in need of a kit replacement. I like kit lens, but it is not fast enough for me. Unfortunately, I also have very limited funds - 350USD (give or take a few).

There is also one other, both fortunate and unfortunate, thing - I will delegate my cousin in the USA to buy lens.Fortunate because lens are cheaper in the States and there are some rebates going on. On the other hand, I am afraid of letting her buy Sigma lens due to their quality control reputation (I was thinking about 17-70). (Sigma lens here in Croatia are ridicilously expensive).
There is a possibility (although unlikely) to go and buy Sigma in Austria or somewhere else (Matjaz, is it possible to buy Sigma lens in Slovenia?), so if you have positive experience with Sigma lens, please share them.
Branimir
P.S. Sigma 17-70 lens, at which focal length does it stop being F/2.8 ? And If someone could tell me how does this progress?

09-06-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

For $350 you can get a whole bagful of very nice M42 lenses. For well under $350, in fact.
09-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Unfortunately, not in Croatia, and I would like to be present when buying "old"/used stuff.
09-06-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
rdc

The Tamron 28-75 2.8 is about 350 and gets lauded by people everywhere. The high end Sigma's also have a good reputation.

As for used lenses I always buy mine online, both B&H and keh have a good reputation for thier lenses being in good condition (assuming you don't buy one that is listed as not being in good shape)

09-06-2007, 03:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

hello Branimir, you can buy sigma lenses with pentax mount in slovenia. I don't know if they are cheaper than in croatia. you can check it here:
fotomarket.net - katalog izdelkov: za Pentax
this shop is in ljubljana and you can try every lens on you camera before buying.
17-70/2.8 is also interesting lens for me. but I'm waiting for pentax version..

and I'm sure you know for this site if you are planning to buy it in austria:
Sigma Objektiv AF 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 DC Asp IF Makro für Pentax (669960) Preisvergleich @ Geizhals-Preisvergleich :: Österreich

Last edited by kjask; 09-06-2007 at 04:02 AM.
09-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanx kjask,
Unfortunately, I need lens in next month or two and Pentax 17-70 has no date on lens roadmap, therefore it is impossible to tell when it will be released.
Maybe I'll go to Ljubljana, maybe to Austria, who knows...
09-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
rdc, thanx for the info.
I'll look into Tamron. The only problem with it is that it starts at 28, and not at 17. It's a big difference...
For what is worth, I'll look in keh and B&H, but from their today's stock, I think I'll have to go to Austria...
09-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know you mentioned a dislike of Sigma, and I also have no personal experience with this lens (other than the serious intention of purchasing one soon), but they make an 18-50mm f/2.8 EX lens for around $370 US. I thought you might have overlooked it and just wanted to toss that out there, since it's almost a direct replacement for the kit lens with a constant aperture.

Edit - if you did get it, make sure you get the new one (dc or dg I don't remember which, as the old one doesn't have the better coating for digital).

09-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #9

Original Poster
My dislike for Sigma comes from their reputation - bad quality control. Therefore I would like to try out lens before I buy them.

Last edited by Branimir; 09-06-2007 at 10:41 AM.
09-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Branimir Quote
My dislike for Sigma comes from their reputation - bad quality control. Therefore I would like to try out lens before I buy them.
During past year I have read in various forums WAY MORE reports about broken SR-buttons and banding in K10D than defective Sigma 17-70 lenses. And 17-70 is definitely popular lens and there should be loads of those out here.

Then again, if you have no way of returning it conveniently I can understand your worries. Sometimes it pays to pay extra (higher price instead of ordering from USA) to have just-in-case insurance.
09-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it a little puzzling when I read that you feel Sigma has a quality control problem. If anything I think their QC is as good as Pentax and Tamron.
I have the 17-70 Sigma and can highly recommend it. A very versatile lens with very good results.
09-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
Maybe 17-70 is nice and factory that produces it has a good quality manager or whoever is responsible for quality control. I cannot say. However, Sigma has reputation (unfortunately not unjustified) for front/back focus problems.
To ship lens from Croatia to USA and then back several times until I get OK lens, I think I could've gotten myself DA* lens. (There were such unfortunate souls here in Croatia)
The problem with local dealer is that he thinks he will fool a person or two into buying lens from him and get huge profit out of that. That is the only explanation for the price of 565USD for 17-70.
I am aware that prices in Europe are higher than in USA, but even there price for 17-70 is from 290EUR ~ 395USD.
Now, do you understand my predicament? I WILL NOT buy owner if that shop installment for his new yacht.
B.

Last edited by Branimir; 09-06-2007 at 02:01 PM.
09-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Branimir, I have little doubt that you will take this the wrong way, but get a grip, and get real.

I'm as guilty as anyone of posting a thread and promptly shooting down all the suggestions I got. I'm also intimately familiar with wants numbering way way way outside my means (and guilty of whining about that too.)

I'm sorry you live where you do, and sorry your local dealer can't give you what you want at the price you want it for. Frankly, I think my local guy is in cahoots with your local guy, because I'm in the same boat. I'm also sorry that the internet has made us paranoid that if we order a lens, it might instead be a piece of junk delivered to our front door.

But such is life. (And yes, life sucks.)

Just make a decision. Roll the dice on an "unproven" item, or suck it up, reclassify needs as wants, and save your pennies until you can buy what you really want. I'm grudgingly doing that, so at least you will have company.
09-07-2007, 02:10 AM   #14

Original Poster

Yes, life sucks. I agree.
I will save pennies, and go abroad to buy myself lens. For the price of the lens here, I get lens and a whole day trip. I look at it that way.
I hope I am not shooting all suggestions down, that was not what I intended. Thanks again for pointing out keh and b&h. I will check them regulary to see if anything that would be statisfactory comes along.