Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Cosina S 50mm 1:2

Hi guys,

I was browsing online and saw one of these for sale. It seems cheap too. As it's so cheap I thought i might get it just for playing around with. Any opinions?
COSINA COSINON S 50mm1:2

09-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not in our lens database yet, so if you do get it, could you please add it? cosina Lenses - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

50mm F2 lenses are generally very cheap - a Pentax M 50mm F2 can typically be acquired for $25, if not less (usually the steals are when you buy camera kits for ebay).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just bought it. Can't wait to get it and play with it now

I will certainly add it once I have tested it and gotten some nice photos out of it!
09-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michelleans Quote
I just bought it. Can't wait to get it and play with it now

I will certainly add it once I have tested it and gotten some nice photos out of it!

It is a classic in this forum. Not as popular as Pentax equivalent in A or K 50mm f/1.2. Its cost is less than half of the Pentax but I doubt if the Pentax is twice as good.

The Cosina has something funky in my own copy as in oval shaped blades opening leading to bokeh with oval ringed lights in background. I don't mind it at all as I find it a charming character. I especially like to use it on film gear with black and white.

It is one of the lens that I like in MF lens. It is best bought with a metal rounded lens hood that I recommended with ebay seller heavystar. I will later update the link for you.

Last edited by hinman; 09-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.
09-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The lens hood looks like this with 58mm round metal lens hood from heavystar in ebay. Unfortunately, I don't see the seller stocking the similar items, you may need to look somewhere else

Cosina 55mm f/1.2 accessories
09-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was looking at your lens pics, hinman, and thought "funny, my (two) Cosinon 50/2s don't look like that", then I noticed that it was an f1.2!

Do you know, that's the second time within a couple of days on this forum that someone's looked at "1:2" and read it as f1.2! (I'm not being critical here, it's very easily done!)

I bet it's a nice lens, since my f2 versions perform very well - as you'd expect, looking at these test results:

Pentax K fit 50mm's Photo Gallery by Steve Flynn at pbase.com

The only problem with my copies is that they both suffer from dryish focus ring lubrication.
09-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I wish I could get my hands on an f1.2 Cosina 55mm but i cant seem to find one!

09-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There are a number of variations on the Cosina 55 1.2. Mine is a Cosinon-S, and has a completely different grip from that shown in Hin's photo. There are a number of different lenses that are Cosina, 55mm and F1.2.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-26-2010 at 04:23 PM.