Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #76
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, if this is confirmed then it's kind of mixed emotions for me...
FA ltds as great as they are, have been holding the Pentax DA line up back for a while now. The new DA ltds are great but slow. And DA*30 has been killed off in planning stages because of the FAltd (I'd bet on this). At the same time the FA ltds are 1/2 slower than top dogs of the competition. Killing them off will finally pave way for the new set of DA*s (hope 30/1.4, and 23-24/1.8-2).
It will close another chapter in the book of SMC glass... but then hey, look at Takumars, Ks, A*.... and the FA* and FAltds are built to last just as long (IMO).
So yes, it's sad news but I hope they will be replaced some nice new DA*.
At the end of the day it would make sense. DA ltds will small, slow(ish), non sealed and portable while DA* will be big, sealed, fast.... hope it'll unfold that way!

09-26-2010, 04:08 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
My thought...do you want to spend a lot of money aligning yourself with a pink lens dispensed from a gumball machine?

I have hope that in 6 months we'll see something released from Hoya that shows some thought beyond an uneducated sales department. If not.....it will prove that Pentax has become quite "dumbed down".

Listen to yourself. You're complaining about a product segment (K-m/K-x/K-r) that is bringing in TONS of money to Hoya, which was the basis for the R&D to produce such gems as the 645D and K-5.

Who's uneducated again?
09-26-2010, 04:13 AM   #78
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote

1) Is Pentax abandoning the high end of the market? This success of K-x may have put them in that frame of mind, or that this was the segment of market they were after all along, and they finally hit it. They seem fixated on entry level folks.
What is high end?
To finally catch up in AF and offering one of the best high ISO (K-5) is high end for some people.
645D is high end, wouldn't you say so?

2) Sure, K-5 looks fine, to me it is half ass. Well over a year from K-7 and that is all they can do??
Let's see now what has happened since K-7:
WR 18-55 and 50-200.
A WR macro 100mm
K-x
645D
First new 645 lens in a long time
The 35mm is back, allthough as f2.4, but inexpensive to seduce newcommers into primes.
K-r
WR 15-135 zoom
K-5

You certainly look very pessimistic on things.

3) No FF for sure now, for the next couple of years. Well, fine.
Agree.

4) Zeiss also ditched ZK mount. We are running out of options in terms of fast primes. Legacy lenses are great, but I feel they can only go so far in the hands of mortals like me.
When Zeiss see how well K-r and K-5 will sell, they will regret this premature decission.

5) VULGARITY DELETED BY MODERATOR

6) FA ltds will probably go up in price, kind of like it did a few years back when the rumor of their demise was rampant. But, I am not sure if they would hold their value. Too many of them around. But, FA ltds are FA ltds. They are (were) great. So, do some of you plan to go ahead and still plan to buy them even though no FF in horizon?
They will never go down in price. Unfortunately.
The 31 is on my shopping list (and the one of these that I think they will need to replace with another fast APS-C "normal").
The 43mm is pointless without FF.
The 77mm, I would buy it unless I already had the A*85 (same optics). Pentax are already offering enough other portrait options: DA*55, DA70ltd, DA*50-135, so the lens line can do without it.

7) Is this the end for some of us?? What does this mean to all of you?? Does this change your feeling towards Pentax? It sure has for me. It makes me wonder for the first time if I should sell everything I have and just go ahead and get 645D.

Buying the 645D may be a good idea for you. I already know some people selling of their K mount stuff to save up for the 645D.

8) To me this is a sad development.
I agree.

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-26-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: edited quoted post
09-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
And DA*30 has been killed off in planning stages because of the FAltd (I'd bet on this). At the same time the FA ltds are 1/2 slower than top dogs of the competition. Killing them off will finally pave way for the new set of DA*s (hope 30/1.4, and 23-24/1.8-2).

Exactly. While there was the FA31, it would've been utterly meaningless to make a DA*30/1.4. And while a DA*30/1.4 may not be the ideal, modern version of the FA31 lim, because it'd probably be more like the big and rugged 55/1.4, there is more than a good chance that it will perform better on modern APS-C DSLRs than the FA Lim. Not to mention it being 1/2 stop faster.

This reminds me of the first iMac, and the outroar against Apple ditching the floppy disk. Not exactly parallel, but the situation is similar, in that in order to move forward, some things need to be cut off and left behind.

The good news is, unlike floppy disks, FA limiteds were always aftermarket addons. And so long as Pentax doesn't ditch the K-mount (which other manufacturers are known to do every now and again–––but I guess some people here would rather align themselves with those camera makers than Pentax now ), you will have the choice to get one or all of the FA limiteds for a while yet.

09-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #80
Veteran Member

To me, the issue is entirely different, not that quite simple, and goes way beyond that. Those of you who understand it, you understand it. If you happened to not get it, well then that is ok too. We all have different needs, different brain mass. That is why pictures we take with similar equipments vary so greatly from one to another.

Oh brilliant. Those who don't agree with you "don't get it" and have less "brain mass" than you Great way to argue your point. No way anybody can top that :-DDD

Actually, I can top it. If you think that "lens availability" is the only, or even the *main* points that your opponents are arguing about then.. well, let's just say that that tells me which way that brain-mass scale is tipping right now.
09-26-2010, 04:31 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I'll report in "my" thread what my reserach to verify this conversation snippet will deliver.
Done now -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1198008-post492.html
09-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Pentax are already offering enough other portrait options:
I'd like to point out that Pentax do not offer anything below USD 500 in portrait lens category. Competition offers 85/1.8 which albeit old are still very capable lenses. This, in my person view, is rather the omission on Pentax part.
09-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #83
Site Supporter

Thank you, Falk. The information you bring is very valuable.

09-26-2010, 04:50 AM   #84
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

43 I am not that interested. I would think that on this forum, because many are enthusiasts, you will find many people owning FA ltds.
Yep, me too. And if you tried the 43 yourself, you would be pleasantly surprised. I went on for some years thinking the FA 50/1.4 was more than the 43 would ever be for me - how wrong I was when I eventually gave it a try - the FA 50/1.4 was sold not long after, no regrets...
09-26-2010, 05:00 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Exactly. While there was the FA31, it would've been utterly meaningless to make a DA*30/1.4. And while a DA*30/1.4 may not be the ideal, modern version of the FA31 lim, because it'd probably be more like the big and rugged 55/1.4, there is more than a good chance that it will perform better on modern APS-C DSLRs than the FA Lim. Not to mention it being 1/2 stop faster.

This reminds me of the first iMac, and the outroar against Apple ditching the floppy disk. Not exactly parallel, but the situation is similar, in that in order to move forward, some things need to be cut off and left behind.

The good news is, unlike floppy disks, FA limiteds were always aftermarket addons. And so long as Pentax doesn't ditch the K-mount (which other manufacturers are known to do every now and again–––but I guess some people here would rather align themselves with those camera makers than Pentax now ), you will have the choice to get one or all of the FA limiteds for a while yet.
ASIDE
I can remember when floppy disks were aftermaret add-ons. All hail magnetic tape!
/ASIDE
09-26-2010, 05:07 AM   #86
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I'd like to point out that Pentax do not offer anything below USD 500 in portrait lens category. Competition offers 85/1.8 which albeit old are still very capable lenses. This, in my person view, is rather the omission on Pentax part.
Sure, but the 77ltd is not that lens you are missing.
09-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Considering the stuff up with the K-5 launch, why would anyone in their right mind think a rep in germany has any idea of what pentax are planning in japan.
Pentax does seem to listen to what people want,
People keep saying they want the FA ltd with quick shift and weather sealing,
2+2=
09-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Well, they are still making the DA Ltds, correct?

If they don't make 35mm bodies anymore, neither have a FF body, it makes sense to drop the production on FA Ltds.
Agree. It is an historic milestone but perfectly logical and not the end of the world. It certainly puts an exclamation point on Hoya's repeated statements that a FF Pentax DSLR is not going to happen. I know that's a serious disappointment for some but I'm fine with that and I'm looking forward to upgrading to the K-5.
09-26-2010, 05:20 AM   #89
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Sure, but the 77ltd is not that lens you are missing.
Nope, I am not missing it. I own it and use it from time to time.
09-26-2010, 05:27 AM   #90
Veteran Member

And your *call* to Pentax to produce more FA Liimiteds, is one of the most illogical, irrational things one could do, when, again, Pentax doesn't have, and as far as we know, has no plans of making, a full frame DSLR. It has everything to do with FF. If you learned a little more about cameras, you would have a clue.
Sorry, my call has nothing to do with digital full-frame. It has to do with lens quality. It has to do with leveraging existing resources. It has to do with filling gaps in the focal length line-up. It has to do with appealing to the art photographer. And much more besides.

Oh great way to debate; twist my words to make me sound like some uncompassionate jackass.
Sorry if you understood it that way, but I was not twisting your word. I was using my own words. Nothing I wrote was an attempt to explain your ethos but rather mine. I think you are letting your passions cloud your understanding.

What does being able to recommend it to other people have anything directly to do with what *YOU* choose to use? That's another absurdity from you.
I guess you don't understand community or sharing. It's all "absurd". Oh well, have fun with that attitude.
Closed Thread