Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I found this out from my good friend emr today. Blonde8 has reported in Falconeye's photokina thread that FA ltds have died, and nothing in plan to replace them.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115076-pentax-photokin...k-lumo-27.html

This needs to be talked about.

1) Is Pentax abandoning the high end of the market? This success of K-x may have put them in that frame of mind, or that this was the segment of market they were after all along, and they finally hit it. They seem fixated on entry level folks.

2) Sure, K-5 looks fine, to me it is half ass. Well over a year from K-7 and that is all they can do??

3) No FF for sure now, for the next couple of years. Well, fine.

4) Zeiss also ditched ZK mount. We are running out of options in terms of fast primes. Legacy lenses are great, but I feel they can only go so far in the hands of mortals like me.

5) VULGARITY DELETED BY MODERATOR

6) FA ltds will probably go up in price, kind of like it did a few years back when the rumor of their demise was rampant. But, I am not sure if they would hold their value. Too many of them around. But, FA ltds are FA ltds. They are (were) great. So, do some of you plan to go ahead and still plan to buy them even though no FF in horizon?

7) Is this the end for some of us?? What does this mean to all of you?? Does this change your feeling towards Pentax? It sure has for me. It makes me wonder for the first time if I should sell everything I have and just go ahead and get 645D.

8) To me this is a sad development.
With all due respect to folks like Blende and Falconeye, who seem to be the only two people REALLY knowing what's going on (happened) with these Photokina announcements, I am again somewhat sceptical about ANY such "news", until they are confirmed by Pentax.

Let's face it: the announcement of the K5 specs were just about all over the place with different data. I agree that Pentax has done a poor job with this.
The high ISO bandwagon went running wild until some real tests came out just these past few days.
Then, there is conclusion that the K5 AF is not any better than that of the K7 .... no tests reviews on that as far as I can see.
Now, the FA limited's are going to disappear .... where is the confirmation of this happening?
Is this again a bunch of rumours?

It is becoming so darn annoying to read through threads "assuming" this or that, without providing evidence that such and such annoucement(s) is(are) real or rumour(s) only.

Can someone please provide proof that pentax has axed the production of Limited's?

Thanks.

JP

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-26-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: edited quoted post
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

And then if the rumor is that Hoya is setting up to sell Pentax to whoever wants to buy it, why and how do they do that? puzzling....
09-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
While I understand the sentiment about the FA limiteds, I just don't see how their discontinuation will lead to the death of Pentax. I'd bet that less than 5% of new Pentax users (i.e., those that became a Pentaxian after, say, the K-7 and K-m) have every bought an FA limited lens. And it makes sense; why would they spend $$$ on lenses with dated designs (definitely not designed for digital sensors), that are large and heavy compared to the DA limiteds? The answer is, they wouldn't.

The simple fact that they are discontinuing the line is the proof. They had to raise the price of FA limiteds across the board, and they *still* are going to discontinue them. What does that mean? It means the FA limited weren't selling. At all. So, contrary to what the marketing experts here think, it's the *continuation* of the FA limited line that would put Pentax in financial jeopardy, not the other way around.

Regarding replacements; I think it's going to be one or the other. They already have a pretty impressive lineup of DA limited primes (15, 21, 40, 70) and non-limited DA primes (14, 35, 100 macro). The only thing really missig are the super-fast primes. For that, there will be the DA* primes. Currently there's only one, 55/1.4, which effectively replaces the 77/1.8 (and 1/2 stop faster to boot). I think at some point, they'll make a DA* 30/1.4. Frankly, I don't think there's much else that's needed.

I never meant to say that this would the death of Pentax. From financial standpoint, I am sure that they have recouped R and D cost of this line up. Continuation of this product line in line with a degree of demand cannot possibly bring down a company like Pentax, especially with backing of a huge corp like Hoya.

Although, I have to say that if Pentax is to go out of business, I am not sure if it makes that much a difference for me. I am not what it is, but after hearing about FA ltds, all of sudden survival of this company does not seem all that important. Hell, I will switch to another brand, and life will go on . . . . .
09-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Can someone please provide proof that pentax has axed the production of Limited's?

Thanks.

JP
If I understood correctly, they stopped producing FA Ltds (full format lenses). They will keep doing the DA Ltds.

Now there's a bunch of people in this thread sensing the "doom of Pentax" once again because, "OMG, they are not making the Ltds. anymore, there's nothing I can use to brag against the CaNikon users anymore."

Seriously, how many here own a FA Ltd. (and most importantly, are willing to buy more)?

09-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
If I understood correctly, they stopped producing FA Ltds (full format lenses). They will keep doing the DA Ltds.

Now there's a bunch of people in this thread sensing the "doom of Pentax" once again because, "OMG, they are not making the Ltds. anymore, there's nothing I can use to brag against the CaNikon users anymore."

Seriously, how many here own a FA Ltd. (and most importantly, are willing to buy more)?

I have 31, and used to own 77 and sold it (yes I regret it). I am willing to spend what it is worth to re-acquire 77. 43 I am not that interested. I would think that on this forum, because many are enthusiasts, you will find many people owning FA ltds. I am sure of it. DA ltds are great, but the build quality and IQ - I am not sure if they are a match to FA ltds, and I have all of the stupid DA ltds. Just my opinion.
09-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, so they stopped making the FA Limited's ... where can I check the confirmation of this.

Personally, I don't feel the doom and gloom of Pentax disappearance but I do care about the Limited's (FA's) being out of production. Too bad.

I will most likely buy the one FA limited that is missing from my "collection" ... the FA 77.

JP
09-25-2010, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I still don't understand why people will want to dump Pentax because of this development (if it's true).

(1) The FA limiteds are still out there. You can still buy all of them new. You can buy all of them used for pretty good prices. So, why not just go out there and buy them, and be happy

(2) There is absolutely NO way anybody could have reasonably expected Pentax to design *new* FA limiteds. That's absurd. They don't have a FF DSLR, and as far as we know, they don't plan to have one any time soon.

(3) *IF* Pentax releases a FF camera in the future, which I guess is something some of you are worried about (what will we do without FA limiteds when they release that unicorn camera I mean FF Pentax DSLR??): well, duh, *then* they'll bring out new FA limiteds with modern designs, made for digital sensors.

So really, I fail to see how this can be an issue to *current* Pentaxians. I guess one could argue that near-future Pentaxians might be missing out on legendary glass, but seriously, that's reason you'd abandon a brand?

I mean, I don't care what people do (hell, I'm currently not a Pentax DSLR shooter), and if you want to go to Nikon or Canon or Sony, you should just go right ahead, but I think if you're going to do that, it's not because Pentax is discontinuing the current FA limiteds. You wanted to do so anyway, and you were looking for an excuse. I just wish you wouldn't use something like this as the excuse, and in the process make it sound like Pentax is being extremely stupid, because they're not. It really makes perfect sense.

09-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

With all due respect to folks like Blende and Falconeye, who seem to be the only two people REALLY knowing what's going on (happened) with these Photokina announcements, I am again somewhat sceptical about ANY such "news", until they are confirmed by Pentax.

......................................................Can someone please provide proof that pentax has axed the production of Limited's?

Thanks.

JP
+1....................................
09-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #24
emr

There are rumors and there are rumors. But I have complete trust in blende8 and if he was told face to face by a Pentax representative at Photokina that the lenses are discontinued, I take that as a truth until proven otherwise.
09-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This is nothing more than a signal that Pentax has no plans for a FF.
I second that.
09-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If the 31mm limited goes, that means Pentax has no fast standard in production at any price, I think? In my opinion, the FA limiteds have a problem compared to the more modern lenses of slower and noisier AF (from what I have been told), but their IQ sounded very high.

I don't have an issue with them going if more modern ones are introduced, but all the latest lenses have been at the lower end of the scale.
09-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

OK, so they stopped making the FA Limited's ... where can I check the confirmation of this.

Personally, I don't feel the doom and gloom of Pentax disappearance but I do care about the Limited's (FA's) being out of production. Too bad.

I will most likely buy the one FA limited that is missing from my "collection" ... the FA 77.

JP
JP, I kinda expected that sooner or later, they have to stop the production of FA limited since the first sign of it is not MIJ anymore; and second, if and when FF body is in the making, they will likely have to have FA limited equivalent lens but with improved SDM.

Then the question is: would the price of FA limited of existing stock goes up since they don't make them any more? As long as the future Pentax models support screw drive, it might, but if they stop supporting screw drive, then it is hard to say.

I have collected the three amigos before the price hike, don't think that I am going to let them go any time soon.
09-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For anyone discerning about the rendering quality of lenses and what they can do for your photography, Pentax had one thing to offer that no other company or brand did... the FA Limiteds. Their desire to drop the most distinguished series indicates to me that they are not the company I need to ally with in my photographic journey.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
If this is true, I am extremely disappointed in Pentax. No FF? no big deal. I've never wanted to go full frame. But to discontinue the crown jewels, the rock stars, of your lens line up is beyond stupid. Maybe I should re-think my loyality. It's obvious that they don't care much about the photo enthusiast.
Exactly. The tradition of Pentax is over, IMO.

Well, they are still making the DA Ltds, correct?
Those equate to the FA Limiteds how exactly? They offer nothing other brands do not offer.

Please do not presume to judge or understand me, since obviously you cannot. Your pathetic attempt at insults is noted, but beyond that you have an awful lot to learn about photography. Owning these lenses is not about bragging -- it's about taking better pictures. Duh!

I own the DA 43 Limited and the FA 77 Limited even though I live on less money than 99% of people in this forum (I can safely say). This is because I value what they can do for my photography and that is damned important to me. So please take your disparaging comments elsewhere.

I still don't understand why people will want to dump Pentax because of this development (if it's true).
If there is no future in the brand I will stop putting any money into it. I have already called on Pentax to produce more FA Limiteds. If instead they stop what is their signature lens line, I have lost interest. Sure I'll keep the lenses I have, sell off the junk or average stuff and buy someone else's products. No, this is nothing to do with full-frame. If you learned a little more about the lenses we are talking about you would have a clue.

I guess one could argue that near-future Pentaxians might be missing out on legendary glass, but seriously, that's reason you'd abandon a brand?
Yep. Because I care about other people and live my life through conviviality and community. How can I write about and recommend a product that others do not have reasonable access to?

I mean, I don't care what people do (hell, I'm currently not a Pentax DSLR shooter), and if you want to go to Nikon or Canon or Sony, you should just go right ahead, but I think if you're going to do that, it's not because Pentax is discontinuing the current FA limiteds. You wanted to do so anyway, and you were looking for an excuse.
You think incorrectly.
09-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #29
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
There are rumors and there are rumors. But I have complete trust in blende8 and if he was told face to face by a Pentax representative at Photokina that the lenses are discontinued, I take that as a truth until proven otherwise.
I second that.

However, I am still being hopeful. Here is a link to Pentax Japan site, where they list discontinued lenses. FA ltds are not on it (not yet anyway).

????????????????????????????PENTAX
09-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I can't believe this. The FA31 is the best AF lens ever made. It even competed very well with the 35mm summicron. Very sad. This makes my future ownership even more of a dream now!
Closed Thread