Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
I can't believe this. The FA31 is the best AF lens ever made. It even competed very well with the 35mm summicron. Very sad. This makes my future ownership even more of a dream now!
What do you mean? May be there will some appearing in the market place soon.. you may own one at a cheap price.

09-25-2010, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
If there is no future in the brand I will stop putting any money into it. I have already called on Pentax to produce more FA Limiteds. If instead they stop what is their signature lens line, I have lost interest. Sure I'll keep the lenses I have, sell off the junk or average stuff and buy someone else's products. No, this is nothing to do with full-frame. If you learned a little more about the lenses we are talking about you would have a clue.

I know perfectly well what I'm talking about. I owned an FA 31 Lim and loved it to death. And as much as I loved it, I'm also a *rational* person, who can think, not only passionately about things, like you do about the FA limiteds, I also can think logically about things.

And your *call* to Pentax to produce more FA Liimiteds, is one of the most illogical, irrational things one could do, when, again, Pentax doesn't have, and as far as we know, has no plans of making, a full frame DSLR. It has everything to do with FF. If you learned a little more about cameras, you would have a clue.

QuoteQuote:
Yep. Because I care about other people and live my life through conviviality and community. How can I write about and recommend a product that others do not have reasonable access to?
Oh great way to debate; twist my words to make me sound like some uncompassionate jackass. What does being able to recommend it to other people have anything directly to do with what *YOU* choose to use? That's another absurdity from you.

I've been an Apple/Mac fan since the mid-90s. I loved their philosophy, and I loved their aesthetics. During the late 90s and early 2000s, there was a time that Apple looked like they were going to die at any moment. I continued to use their computers. *However,* I wouldn't have recommended Macs to anyone at that point in time, and indeed, if anybody asked me what they should buy, I would always tell them to buy an HP or whatever.

So, perhaps Pentax will become *unrecommendable* to you. Again, that doesn't explain why you would abandon the brand. You're talking all emotion, zero logic.

QuoteQuote:
You think incorrectly.
Says you.
09-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

aleon,
I can only get one lens a year. I already got the da21 this year? I looked up on ebay the going price is $1300. B&H and adorama are out of stock. What price will it be next year?
09-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Please tell me that this is a bad dream. The discontinuation of the FA Limiteds makes NO sense at all. They fit perfectly on any Pentax APS-C. The 31, 43 and 77 are the best AF lenses ever made. Agan: why discontinue them? If there will never be a FF camera, then why not drop the K-mount (which is a FF mount) altogether. That would be the best way to shatter our dreams forever.

It's OK with me if Pentax-Hoya is ruled by beancounters, but please keep your hands off our treasured Limiteds!

09-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Could this be a ploy to bump sales of the FA LTDs? Viral marketing and all that?
09-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
aleon,
I can only get one lens a year. I already got the da21 this year? I looked up on ebay the going price is $1300. B&H and adorama are out of stock. What price will it be next year?

All I am saying is that the rumors and uncertainty about how Pentax is going to survive without a FF in the future road map; and the "rumor" about discontinuation of FA limited lenses have instilled fears in people's mind that Pentax has abandoned the high-end product lines. For many, loyalty to Pentax has been shaken. Whether it is right move to leave or stay in an individual decision. This also spells opportunity to pick up a premium lens at a decent price if you plan on staying with it.

Last edited by aleonx3; 09-25-2010 at 05:25 PM.
09-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
I've heard of these lenses having "pixie dust" so i guess Pentax is forced to stop production since the pixie is dead.

But seriously, I'm also dissapointed to hear these legendary lenses will be stopped, since I was hoping to acquire the FA77, and especially the FA31 one day. But thinking rationally, i guess the DA70 is a good replacement for the FA77, and if they replace the FA31 with some DA*28 f2 or similar, things won't be that bad in Pentaxland.:ugh:

09-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Its pretty sad if they stop production of the FA LTDS
Ive got the MIJ FA77 and hands down its the best lens i own. And im buying the FA43 LTD next week. So i guess if you are planing to buy them the time is now, ive got a feeling these lenses are going to skyrocket in value.
09-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Well I hope dropping the FA Ltds is just a rumor.

As far as the new lenses go, we'll need to take a look to see what the 18-135 can produce and I'm wondering if the DC motor is the replacement of SDM that everyone has been looking for? The DA L 35 is obviously a kit lens, just a little different being a prime, and it comes in matching colors for the K-r. I doubt there was any expectation that someone would buy one for use on anything other than the K-r.

Pentax needs to release a "proper" lens. I wish they would put out another DA F WR like they did with the 100 macro. Reproducing the FA 600mm in a DA F WR that is metal cased like the 100 would breath some life back into the lens lineup.

As far as the K-5 goes, there were a number of threads started a few months ago asking for a new K-7 with the sensor out of the K-x. The K-5 could be much more than that combination. We'll just need to be patient to see if that is the case.
09-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #40

If true, I expect that they are going to be be reincarnated as DFA* or DFA Ltds, and re-released with much fanfare when the FF is dropped.
09-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Perhaps Pentax is doing us a favor by killing LBA for new lens sales.....
09-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

If the death of the trio means new better primes than im all for it
09-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
With all due respect to folks like Blende and Falconeye, who seem to be the only two people REALLY knowing what's going on (happened) with these Photokina announcements, I am again somewhat sceptical about ANY such "news", until they are confirmed by Pentax.
In all due respect, I don't endorse Wieland's post in this point. I said that in "my" thread. So, please do not quote me in this context.

As I said, I wasn't around when the above was said. But I know who said it ...

I strongly recommend everybody to calm down until the message could be verified.

Wieland's post was rather unfavourate. He should have been a bit more cautious, I guess.

The damage is already produced, however, It's already swapped to other forums like photo.net -> FA Limiteds discontinued?! - Photo.net Pentax Forum

I'll report in "my" thread what my reserach to verify this conversation snippet will deliver.

EDIT:
The remark about being cited incorrectly applies to jpzk's quote, not Nubi's original post. But I thank jpzk for giving me the opportunity to clarify this.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-25-2010 at 06:05 PM.
09-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #44
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
In all due respect, I don't endorse Wieland's post in this point. I said that in "my" thread. So, please do not quote me in this context.

As I said, I wasn't around when the above was said. But I know who said it ...

I strongly recommend everybody to calm down until the message could be verified.

Wieland's post was rather unfavourate. He should have been a bit more cautious, I guess.

The damage is already produced, however, It's already swapped to other forums like photo.net -> FA Limiteds discontinued?! - Photo.net Pentax Forum

I'll report in "my" thread what my reserach to verify this conversation snippet will deliver.

I wholeheartedly agree that we ought to be very careful who and how we quote each other. I was very mindful of that as I chose how to phrase it. I hope you didn't have a problem with how I put it. Sorry if you did.

Thank you again for your injection here. We look forward to hearing from you as to what you ended up concluding.

It maybe just me, but this news rings true to me. It is so in line with what has been going on.

Gee, wait until RH gets a hold of that. Oops, did I say a bad word?? Sorry.

Last edited by Nubi; 09-25-2010 at 10:30 PM.
09-25-2010, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Do we need to get so worked up over the comments of a German member? I had a Pentax user training session yesterday and we had the local Pentax agent present and there was no indication that any of the FA Limiteds were disappearing. I'll believe it when Pentax Japan comes out with a press release...

Everyone can mitigate by going out and buying an FA Limited tomorrow, that way the sudden surge in demand will make the idea of discontinuing the FA Limiteds a bad one.
Closed Thread