Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
If the death of the trio means new better primes than im all for it
Which better primes would those be?

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
If Pentax doesn't have a FF body, it makes no sense to produce lenses for this format, right?
Wrong. Not if they are the best lenses in the line-up. FF is a red herring.

Perceptions of quality have more emotion thrown in than anything else.
Wrong.

(In all modesty, because I really have a lot to learn about photography, and apparently I'm incapable of understanding your photographic holiness)
Please try harder. It's not that difficult.

09-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
If the FA limiteds are such a treasure, why haven't you guys gone out and bought them all already?
So, if you haven't spent two grand your opinion on this matter is invalid! Does that automatically make all of us who have bought the lenses more knowledgeable or correct? I would think not.

How can you expect them to bleed money to continue a line...
And you know this financial information how? Maybe you are just making it up on the spot?

But there's really nobody to blame but yourselves.
Yes, because we made this decision! Obviously!
09-26-2010, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
And if you tried the 43 yourself, you would be pleasantly surprised. I went on for some years thinking the FA 50/1.4 was more than the 43 would ever be for me - how wrong I was when I eventually gave it a try - the FA 50/1.4 was sold not long after, no regrets...
Indeed. The FA Limiteds will not appeal to everyone, only those who want the best rendering. A lot of people do not want or need the best rendering; they have other priorities. I have no problem with this.

But then these people turn around and literally insult us for our love of the best lenses. That is quite incomprehensible!

The FA Limiteds are not better by magic. They are better because they were specifically designed that way. And none of the other Pentax lenses, nor even those from other brands (that I know of) were. Which makes them unique. This is not opinion -- it is fact. Ask Jun Hirakawa if you don't believe me.
09-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The FA Limiteds are not better by magic. They are better because they were specifically designed that way. And none of the other Pentax lenses, nor even those from other brands (that I know of) were. Which makes them unique. This is not opinion -- it is fact. Ask Jun Hirakawa if you don't believe me.
I agree with that. Pentax FA limited lenses are very much like any other top of the line product from any company - outstanding characteristics with appropriate price. One may even say that they are potential path for upgrade of Pentax newcomer. Or at least this is how they are/were perceived.

When I (re)started in still photography in 2002 Pentax was called Pentax Optical or some such. It seems it is no longer true. I am not saying it with any sadness or happiness, just making a statement of the fact here. Let everyone be their judge here.

09-26-2010, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Good Lord. As some know, I'm shooting both Nikon and Pentax now and cruise the Nikon forums regularly. What is it with Pentax shooters on this and other forums? Every week the sky is falling. This is a totally unsubstantiated rumour from a member whose been wrong in the past more than once. Why do you give one member this much power?

Nikon got nearly nothing out of Photokina. One camera, no D700 replacement, no D300s replacement etc etc. The forums are calm and happy over there. No complaints no bitching, no calling the CEO/product guys/whatever an idiot.

Here, we get 2 new cameras, 2 new lenses a worldwide release of the 645D and every second thread I read is negative, doom and gloom crap. When it's official, then go jump off a bridge. Until then, this is a rumour that has no basis in fact and IMO

WAS TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE TO BE POSTED IN THE FIRST PLACE BY A MEMBER (Falk) THAT JUST WANTS TO LOOK IMPORTANT BUT SHOULD KEEP QUIET FROM NOW ON UNLESS HE HAS SOMETHING POSITIVE TO SAY OR VERIFIABLE FACT.

Quote Falk: Ok, I was able to obtain this much of verifyable information:

The new German dealer price list from Pentax lists the FA Ltds. as "EOL" (end of life).

Every German dealer should be able to confirm. Maybe, dealers from other countries can report what information they got.

I refrain from interpreting the exact meaning of this information.

So you refrain from interpreting the meaning yet you post it as fact. Calling it verifiable. In doing so I consider you the single most irresponsible member of this forum. You are no more than a gossiping fear monger who has taken some very positive news and twisted it into a way to scare people off.

*If I was anyone from Pentax, I'd never speak to him again on the threat of getting fired. The rumour might be true. That's doesn't matter. Creating this scare thread is BS. I’d also ban you from the booth and make sure you can’t talk to or see anything.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-26-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Removed 2 words profain
09-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Perceptions of quality have more emotion thrown in than anything else.
I agree..take a look at leica photographers...and chuck in a konica hexar RF amongst them and watch the film fly!

though Pentax moved their lens manufacturing to vietnam, the FA limited lenses are being assembled there.Wouldn't it have made more sense for pentax discontinue a lens line when they made the shift in the first place? instead of prolonging the FA limited lenses demise like this? they could have stopped production when they sold off their japan based manufacturing operations. but they didn't, why?

i'm not going to debate and squabble over this if they are gone, they are gone. i'm content with my Pentax MX with a 31mm f/1.8 limited and some T-max 100, ahh the joys of full frame.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-26-2010 at 06:39 AM.
09-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #97

Actually Peter It was blende8 who first mentioned the discontinuation of the Fa Ltds just in case you didn't read the whole thread. Just scroll down until you come to blende8 giving a list of specific things he found out at Photokina. Falk merely gave a little clarification.

09-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #98
Dan
Pentaxian

The FA limiteds will still be available!

I can certainly understand why people value the FA limiteds so highly. But please keep in mind that the lenses are still available, and will continue to be available long after production ceases. They have had a long production run, and a very large number of these lenses are out in the world. They are quite robust, and most users seem to treat them with kindness. In short, it is very easy to find used Limiteds in great shape. This should continue to be true long after the stock of new lenses has been exhausted (which should itself take some time).

I would not want to buy into a camera system that does not have lenses such as these available. But this is hardly a reason to switch, since once production ceases Pentax will continue to be the only system for which you can mount FA Limiteds and use them with their full functionality.

Dan
09-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Conversations such as those above took place when Pentax discontinued production of the screw mount in the early 70s and K series lenses in favour of the diminutive M series line in the early 80s. There was a lot of gnashing of teeth then as now. Pentax survived these transitions and I imagine it will survive the discontinuation of the FA series as well.

Tom G
09-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #100
emr

After some consideration I conclude that if the FA limiteds are really being discontinued, it means that some members have been right all the time predicting that Pentax will never go FF. If it was only Pentax lenses one could think that they're being replaced by another series, but considering the Zeiss and CV announcements I think that Pentax big shots have made a long term decision. Oh well, I guess we can live without one.
09-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #101
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Good Lord. As some know, I'm shooting both Nikon and Pentax now and cruise the Nikon forums regularly. What is it with Pentax shooters on this and other forums? Every week the sky is falling. This is a totally unsubstantiated rumour from a member whose been wrong in the past more than once. Why do you give one member this much power?

Nikon got nearly nothing out of Photokina. One camera, no D700 replacement, no D300s replacement etc etc. The forums are calm and happy over there. No complaints no bitching, no calling the CEO/product guys/whatever an idiot.

Here, we get 2 new cameras, 2 new lenses a worldwide release of the 645D and every second thread I read is negative, doom and gloom crap. When it's official, then go jump off a bridge. Until then, this is a rumour that has no basis in fact and IMO

WAS TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE TO BE POSTED IN THE FIRST PLACE BY A MEMBER (Falk) THAT JUST WANTS TO LOOK IMPORTANT BUT SHOULD SHUT UP FROM NOW ON UNLESS HE HAS SOMETHING POSITIVE TO SAY OR VERIFIABLE FACT.

Quote Falk: Ok, I was able to obtain this much of verifyable information:

The new German dealer price list from Pentax lists the FA Ltds. as "EOL" (end of life).

Every German dealer should be able to confirm. Maybe, dealers from other countries can report what information they got.

I refrain from interpreting the exact meaning of this information.

So you refrain from interpreting the meaning yet you post it as fact. Calling it verifiable. In doing so I consider you the single most irresponsible member of this forum. You are no more than a gossiping fear monger who has taken some very positive news and twisted it into a way to scare people off.

*If I was anyone from Pentax, I'd never speak to him again on the threat of getting fired. The rumour might be true. That's doesn't matter. Creating this scare thread is BS. I’d also ban you from the booth and make sure you can’t talk to or see anything.
I don't know what's going on with Peter Zack, but a verbal abuse like this coming from a Senior Moderator reduces significantly my respect for him.

Last edited by emr; 09-26-2010 at 10:45 AM.
09-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
I can certainly understand why people value the FA limiteds so highly. But please keep in mind that the lenses are still available, and will continue to be available long after production ceases. They have had a long production run, and a very large number of these lenses are out in the world.
Dan
And reading the comments of the many that seem to be ready to jump off the Pentax band-wagon, I can't help but think the supply of good used FA's might increase as these users liquidate. (Unless they are users who haven't purchased FA's and therefore may have inadvertantly contributed to the death of the product line.)
Every model has a shelf life. (I can no longer get leaded gas for my old '66 Pontiac, but I still enjoy it even though I understand the need for new technology.)
09-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I don't know what's going on with Peter Zack, but a verbal abuse like this coming from a Senior Moderator reduces significantly my respect from him.

Agree
09-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #104
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I don't know what's going on with Peter Zack, but a verbal abuse like this coming from a Senior Moderator reduces significantly my respect from him.
I recall lead toxicity being discussed somewhere. It can be devastating neurologically, as you know.
09-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #105
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You know what? I don't really care. I'm not here to build up some false internet reputation. What I do care about is thread titles like this full of crap and BS. I still shoot Pentax.

Pentax right now doesn't offer me all I need for my business. I hope someday to have a 100% Pentax system again. I am here because I want the company to succeed. I'll complain as much as anyone else but only on existing truth, not false rumour.

I highly suspect that a number of other members here are in the same situation. Many don;t own Pentax gear right now but are still very active here. Why bother? Because they want to come "home" at some point. That is if people who relish in cutting the company down, don't undermine it to the point of disappearing.

What I do care about strongly is some new potential customer coming to this forum all excited about getting a K-x or a new camera and hearing this stuff being spread around.

Has anyone who posted this information here done anything constructive to support Pentax? NO. They have taken pleasure in hurting Pentax.

I posted this message on another thread and got similar replies. So here's the reply I posted there:
QuoteQuote:
No I'm not going to chill out and if the other mods, Adam or Ole want to issue an infraction, fine so be it. I speaking as any other member. I deserve absolutely no special treatment.

What I'm sick of is how certain members just relish is posting completely unreferenced and unverified rumours that have no basis in fact. At some point they might drop the Ltd's, but right here and right now they haven't. Maybe tomorrow, they will officially announce that the line is gone. But posting that one second before it really happens is completely and undeniably irresponsible.

I notice the people who posted this misinformation haven't taken me up on the challenge to post an official release or any other backup info. It's interesting they are silent and others have spoken for them.

To claim otherwise is foolish.

Look at it this way. You're a reporter for the Wall Street Journal, you report that Apple has decided to discontinue the iPad. You have nothing to back it up. You know it's probably not true. But you heard it from some guy who heard it from some other guy and now report it as fact. Apple stocks drop, there's damage to the company and their reputation.

How is that story any different from some self-important member posting rumours and BS on this or any other forum. The internet has huge power to raise and lower a company.

Those that do this without any proof or links from verifiable sources do not deserve to be listened to or debated. They enjoy some status as "in the know" even if they can't back it up.

Guess what? I am as well. I've shot for 30 years and continue to shoot Pentax. I've had a 20 year relationship with the Pentax and the regional rep. Have a look at my web site. Pentax allows me to advertise their brand. I've gotten sneek peeks and gear to review for EtL. There are no hints yet from them that the Ltds are gone. Now that doesn't mean they are or are not. It means, I can't post news about them that I can verify. So as someone who would like to be responsible here, I'm not posting anything.

Go ahead and post "I want" lists for new gear. Post we should have gotten threads. Complain all you want. But when totally unsubstantiated rumours are posted that can only serve to hurt the brand we call home, Then I'll use capital letters.

Ban me go ahead. But when you do, ban them too.
Closed Thread