Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
And reading the comments of the many that seem to be ready to jump off the Pentax band-wagon, I can't help but think the supply of good used FA's might increase as these users liquidate. (Unless they are users who haven't purchased FA's and therefore may have inadvertantly contributed to the death of the product line.)
Well, there are always these concerns for where the brand we're invested in is going, but in large measure, I agree, it wouldn't be the end of the world, (Even if this weren't a pretty baseless possibility: I still think that we see a lot of people who come to slag on Pentax, try to kill any enthusiasm etc, whenever there are new models coming out.

Apart from bragging rights when people say, 'You're shooting a crappy brand' or whatever, (Which the Fa ltds definitely provide in spades: they're a prestige line.) Frankly, I think they should be left alone, maybe sneak in a quick-shift focusing mechanism if they have to do anything, and concentrate on where there are gaps in the lineup: at the rate new designs are coming out, why stop selling what works and then maybe take a few years rebuilding with new versions, while those gaps exist?

Anyway, it wouldn't be a *terrible* tragedy for me if there were anything to this rumor: there's always the used market: I'd just need to hope they don't get too expensive by the time I'm in the range of obtaining em.

Basically, they ain't broke. Why do away with them just for the sake of doing so? (And saying, 'They're not making a full-frame, so they should make only APS-C lenses not-very-compatible with some film bodies') is just silly. It's not like these Limiteds are huge because of it, and there's utility there, especially considering that film would seem to be becoming popular again among just the kinds of folks that want those primo, well-built primes.

Pentax may not be making new film cameras anymore, but I think if the day comes when a working old one isn't so easy to come by, Voightlander will probably cheerfully come out with a K-mount Bessaflex. So, there's no point in ditching lenses just for the sake of losing full frame capability when you don't have to, or there's no particular benefit.

Anyway, it's just a rumor.

09-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #107

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
aleon,
I can only get one lens a year. I already got the da21 this year? I looked up on ebay the going price is $1300.
This is 100% the reason why I will never buy an FA Limited, and the same reason why the market for these lenses is so small. It's a niche market and there's no business sense in going after it for a company like Pentax.

It's the same reason why I just don't get the call for them to build a FF body. Why, so they can invest millions of dollars in R&D and production, and then get killed by two established players that have been there for a decade or more?

Sorry, but I'll actually be using Pentax for the indefinite future, and I'd like to see my company continue to stick around for a few more years.
09-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #108
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
This is 100% the reason why I will never buy an FA Limited, and the same reason why the market for these lenses is so small. It's a niche market and there's no business sense in going after it for a company like Pentax.

It's the same reason why I just don't get the call for them to build a FF body. Why, so they can invest millions of dollars in R&D and production, and then get killed by two established players that have been there for a decade or more?

Sorry, but I'll actually be using Pentax for the indefinite future, and I'd like to see my company continue to stick around for a few more years.

But, isn't Pentax a niche company?? Isn't that why we shoot Pentax? I do agree though that they are very expensive. Yes, very much so.
09-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #109
Inactive Account

Rumor equals Rumor until it becomes fact.

I am glad they've produced the lenses, I'm happy to have all 3. I'm also happy I bought all of them before the prices went insane (though I still thought them insane at the time). Pentax has been dead or dying for my entire Pentax life (4 years). The FA50 f1.4 has gone out of production at least a dozen times. A full frame dSLR has been a reality at least as many times.

I'm glad I have the 3 Amigos but if I didn't and couldn't get them, it wouldn't be the end of my world.

Rumor equals Rumor until it becomes fact.

09-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
And you know this financial information how? Maybe you are just making it up on the spot?
So the FA limiteds are making Pentax tons of money, but they're disontinuing them, just to spite *you*? HAHAHA. Funny. I don't know their financial information. I don't even know if this rumor is correct and that the FA lims are indeed discontinued. However, I am able to think logically, which you repeatedly choose not to do, and so I know that *IF* the FA lims are going to be discontinued (without being replaced by new designs), it is 100% *because* it's not making Hoya/Pentax money.

I mean, seriously? How hard is that for you to understand?

QuoteQuote:
Yes, because we made this decision! Obviously!
Boy, does illogical just run in your veins? Again, the raionale is simple.

IF Pentax is discontinuing the FA lims (without replacing them), THEN it's because they're not selling enough of them. THE REASON why they're not selling enough of them is (drum roll.......) because people aren't buying them.

Phew, are you sweating? I know that was a tough one, but I hope you got through it.

Of course you probably didn't, and will continue to be irrational, so I think I'm about done here.
09-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Alright everyone this is way out of hand.

Let me state my position: the next lens I buy will be an FA 77 ltd. It will not be for a long time, because they are very, very expensive, and this is simply my hobby.

Pentax has no plans of a FF, and in this market, I can understand why. If anything, I am most concerned by the 645D, which seems to be a huge risk. I really, really hope that it sells well in europe / NA.

Pentax owns the patents to these 3 FA ltds. If they release a FF camera, you can bet that they will use these optical formulas again. Why would they bother spending money on R&D when they already own acclaimed designs to fantastic FF lenses?

The problem is that the average consumer does not see a major advantage to buying the 77 over the DA 70 for close to double the price. I don't care if you are shooting with the K100D or the K7, the images I have seen do not suggest a massive difference in image quality on ASP-C.

Allow me to digress: I think the FA ltds should be available to consumers because they seem to be near-perfect lenses. However, in the world of ASP-C, the advantage of these lenses is far less apparent, and this likely translates into lackluster sales. In the meantime, these lenses are still available to those who can afford them, and will be available on the used market for a very long time. I only learned how an SLR works a few years ago, and almost every lens I own is older than I am. This is not catastrophic for those who have been saving up for a FA ltd.

One day, Pentax will release a FF, or something akin to that. Why? Because eventually, like all technology, I believe that progress will make FF cameras very affordable. People will begin to buy them when they can be offered in the enthusiast price range, even if they do not need them! That is the way of consumer culture, and eventually Nikon or Canon will release a FF enthusiast DSLR. Within a few years of that event, Pentax will as well, or fail. Don't expect Pentax to do much that Canon or Nikon do not already do, because they don't have the money to do so.

When they do, and leading up to that announcement, they will need to release some FF compatible lenses, or that body will fail. I would expect that these lenses will be re-released, with very similar or identical optical formulas. They are likely discontinuing the FA ltds because they intend to introduce even more new lenses (goodie!) and Pentax can only afford to produce so many lenses concurrently with it's current market share.

I really, really doubt that Pentax plans on halting production on quality glass altogether. I think the problem here is that people have noticed 1) that Pentax has recently focused on releasing consumer-priced goods, and 2) that they are tightening up their line at the top end. While this may seem to suggest that they no longer care about the demanding photographer, I believe that the 645D and K5 are a testament to how limited a view this is.

Besides, why would a camera company with no concern with professional photographers focus on releasing so many weather resistant lenses?

As an aside: I would like to comment on the disparaging comments related to the cute pink K-R toy cameras. People are complaining that Pentax seems to be focused on marketing to teenage girls. This is preposterous. The fact is that Pentax is focused on the Japanese market, which has a very different set of cultural values and spending habits. In general, marketing in Japan is much more "childish" (if you really want to call it that) from the perspective of a North American consumer... and it does not take a marketer to see that. Simply watch some Japanese, Chinese, or Korean commercials. These commercials are not the way they are because of mass immaturity on the part of the entire Asian continent - they simply result from a different culture with a different history and needs. Remember that it is not uncommon to see a businessman in an arcade in Japan after work. Is that childish behaviour, or is it our culture that suggests that? Regardless, Pentax just wants to sell these guys some cameras and will do it any way they can think of.
09-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #112
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
As an aside: I would like to comment on the disparaging comments related to the cute pink K-R toy cameras. People are complaining that Pentax seems to be focused on marketing to teenage girls. This is preposterous.
A Pentax representative has described 13-23 year old females as one of their target groups for a mirrorless camera. Admittedly he was not talking about DSLRs.

QuoteQuote:
Mark Sherengo, Pentax Imaging: We're going to bring to the market a different product, as we mentioned, mirrorless Four Thirds category. We're going to bring something that is just a little bit more individual, flexible, and to really penetrate different kinds of markets from the early adopters of young female, 13 to 23, to maybe the mother segment, maybe to corporations, so it's just something different.
Mirrorless Models Bring New Growth - 2010-08-30 04:06:00 | TWICE

09-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #113
Veteran Member

I agree with some of both sides on this one.

On the one hand, the FA Limiteds represent part of my emotional connection to the brand. I don't think it would be hyperbole to say that I still shoot Pentax and plan to keep shooting Pentax because of them. If they are discontinued, I will be more inclined to switch brands should the need eventually arise, especially since I don't get the sense that Pentax is going to replace them with anything near as high quality. In truth, I'm not even sure what Pentax plans to do.

On the other hand, the FA Limiteds are full frame when Pentax doesn't want to go that direction. They aren't weather sealed. They each have their own quirks that make them an awkward fit on an APS-C camera -- the FA31 is too big, the FA43 is loud and focuses (relatively) slow, the FA77 has purple fringing problems wide open. They all have become prohibitively expensive to most Pentax users. They also are 11 years old now (the equivalent of 1,000 years in modern photo terms), and due for a generational upgrade.

So, if true, it's sort of the end of an era. And if not, they'll probably get discontinued eventually anyway, just like the A* and FA* lenses that existed before I started photography were before my time. Sad true, but it's sort of how it goes.
09-26-2010, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

Chill guys!

Everybody should take a time-out and chill big time.
I met representatives from my local Pentax agent on Saturday, as did about 50 other local Pentax users and I didn't get any indication that the FA Limiteds were being axed. What I did get was info on how to pre-order the new K-5 and the K-r and when it will arrive locally, plus a special deal on the K-x and a number of lenses. Don't know why everyone's so negative but we're really upbeat...
09-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
Actually, if you're not one of the giants of the industry, it's a good niche or three that you *want.* You've got to be providing something no one else does, rather than trying to beat bigger companies at what *they* do. The scheme they've been going with (Apart from branching out the entry-level market, which probably makes sense all over: that's such a big market that they can get some) actually covers quite a few niches: they could get the artsy market, and the 'niche' they've got coming along pretty well: there's the old school, serious enthusiasts and off-duty pros who *want* the few top-quality primes, smaller bodies and glass that get, and the hiking/outdoorsy set, (anyone who does this without a sherpa. ) ...frankly, a lot of things that people could do quite well with a small, serious, durable film body or two and three or four little primes: no one's providing that better right now.

I mean, if I were a richer person, sure, I'd probably be wanting some fancy zooms and other pieces of niceness, but I'd still have been likely to choose Pentax *because*cause I can have two or three of the really nice little primes in a great little range of 'odd' focal lengths. Come down to it, I could go to *any* brand if I wanted a stew-can sized standard 2.8 zoom and a big camera body just to have the durability and seals.

Me, I just want a few lovely fast primes (preferably as unimposing as possible) and the rest, well, as nice as can be obtained. So if I had a few grand to drop on a camera system, well, most of it'd go to those wonderful primes, and the body and anything else would come with *those.* Covering niches can be good. The more jobs a system can do, the better, of course, but if you provide something to a market segment that no one else does, then you have customers. And they'll buy the other stuff to go with.

(As for the general mood, it's kind of hard times, and I think that affects things, maybe even fixing on negative rumors when people might otherwise be psyched to buy stuff.)

(And as for K-xes in silly colors, well, as long as people like em, I guess. Easy to do and not really hurting anything, that. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-26-2010 at 10:38 AM.
09-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Everybody should take a time-out and chill big time.
I met representatives from my local Pentax agent on Saturday, as did about 50 other local Pentax users and I didn't get any indication that the FA Limiteds were being axed. What I did get was info on how to pre-order the new K-5 and the K-r and when it will arrive locally, plus a special deal on the K-x and a number of lenses. Don't know why everyone's so negative but we're really upbeat...
I think the important part of that paragraph is you met with Pentax representatives who are positive about Pentax. For most people in the world, including the U.S. (I know two other Pentax users in the state where I live) there isn't this support, so these people tend to feel more vulnerable I think.

Are you guys getting the K-5 and K-r soon? I look forward to hearing your impressions.
09-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing that makes it hard for me to believe in this rumor is that Pentax would first bother to upgrade the K-7 (on peoples demand...Pentax listens to their users) in firmware 1.03 to include the FA ltds in the lens correction and then only a few months later discontinue them.

"Lens Correction (Distortion, Lateral chromatic aberration) is settable for below FA limited lenses.
smc PENTAX-FA 31mmF1.8AL Limited
smc PENTAX-FA 43mmF1.9 Limited
smc PENTAX-FA 77mmF1.8 Limited"

Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
09-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #118
emr

That's a good point, Douglas. But it wouldn't be the first time that different departments of a company or other institution would do separately things that make little sense together.
09-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #119
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
One thing that makes it hard for me to believe in this rumor is that Pentax would first bother to upgrade the K-7 (on peoples demand...Pentax listens to their users) in firmware 1.03 to include the FA ltds in the lens correction and then only a few months later discontinue them.

"Lens Correction (Distortion, Lateral chromatic aberration) is settable for below FA limited lenses.
smc PENTAX-FA 31mmF1.8AL Limited
smc PENTAX-FA 43mmF1.9 Limited
smc PENTAX-FA 77mmF1.8 Limited"

Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Sure, good point, but also people who bought K-7 probably have a fairly good chance of already owning FA ltds. No??
09-26-2010, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #120
Veteran Member

Not going anywhere.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115904-i-sent-email-pe...ml#post1198470
Closed Thread