Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #1

Will Arax/Arsat 35mm T/S physically mount on Pentax?

Hi all, been a while since I've been around here, good to drop by again.

Background:
I'm seriously considering a 35mm tilt-shift lens. For the tilt more than the shift, since although I'm (almost) an architect, it's not for buildings, instead I want the creative focus capabilities. And since I'm loving my current 30mm f1.4, I figure a 35mm T-S is broadly similar in a walk-around sort of way, similarly useful etc. (being almost a 50mm equivalent)

So choices are the Hartblei Super-Rotator 35mm, which is pricey and out of stock at the few places that sell it. So, I'm looking at the Arsat/Arax 35mm instead.

My question is...

If I can find a copy of the Arsat/Arax 35mm TS for sale in K mount, will it physically mount? I ask because, I see here (Shutterbug: The Wide And The Wierd) that it's rather tight on Nikon body because of the front 'prism bulge' over the lense mount clashing with the TS mechanism.

So I guess I'm hoping someone here has one or has encountered one, and can tell me if it will likely mount on my K100D Super, (and hopefully ergo any future Pentax upgrade I might do). I don't want to spend an age trying to find someone with stock of the K mount version if it's touch and go whether I could even use it!

I did consider the adapter-plus-pentacon-six-lens route, but there aren't any rectalinear lenses wider than 45mm available, I really want a 50mm equivalent or wider (ie <or=35mm), and I want tilt, so no bodging of an olympus 28mm TS lens either.

So yeah, any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

09-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There will be some restrictions, e.g., you won't be able to rotate the lens 360˚ while it's fully tilted. But if I remember correctly, there wasn't a position you couldn't get to.

In terms of optics, it's pretty much the same as the Hartblei; it's just limited mechanically.
09-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
MrA

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
There will be some restrictions, e.g., you won't be able to rotate the lens 360˚ while it's fully tilted. But if I remember correctly, there wasn't a position you couldn't get to.
Excellent, that sounds fine then. Many thanks for such a quick response!

QuoteQuote:
In terms of optics, it's pretty much the same as the Hartblei; it's just limited mechanically.
That was what I'd inferred from the few web reviews of each; the hartblei is more flexible in its rotating capabilities, but also bigger and heavier, and more expensive it seems.
09-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not only are Hartblei's more expensive, e.g., the 35mm one is nigh impossible to purchase these days, they're so rare. In the past 2 years I've been watching Ebay (and I keep a very close eye), I've seen a used 35mm go on sale three times. I purchased two of them (LOL).

There is a seller selling "NEW" Hartblei 35mm for $1400-ish, which I think is outrageous. I think $700-800 is the fair pricepoint for the lens.