Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My first wedding. It was possible to use only three Limited primes

Hi folks,

a teammate asked me for taking pics on his wedding.
I never did that before, so I told him that I only can try it but can not guarantee for anything...

So last friday I used the DA21, the FA43 and for the church a little FA77.

Also I borrowed a second K7 from forum member and friend tzcobretti (thanks a lot Thomas my friend!) because I had no zoom lens.

Its not a perfect work, but I think its OK.

The Metz flash 48 was very good in a team with the K7 and the Limiteds. It was a hard work and my respect for the boys and girls who did wedding photography for a living grows a lot.

Here a few samples:

The famous FA43 at f1.9!!

The FA77 in the church. I must use Iso 1600 and in the postprocessing I used the LR3 denoise a lot. But I think thats no problem. To miss the pic with the ring would be more tragic than a little grain...

It was a great experience and I feel a little more a little photographer...

Best,
Rainer

09-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Some definite good shots in there. Were you the only shooter at the wedding? I would be scared to death knowing that my shots were the only shots the couple would have of their wedding...hats off to you!
09-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your warm words.
You are right. I was not the only shooter on the wedding. Annother teammate with a Canon 50D and L-zoom lenses was at the start. I´m looking forward to see the result of his work...
I cannot understand his workflow. He shoot in Jpeg and not in Raw. I had to figure the whitebalance on nearly every pic. I cannot understand how he will do?!?!

Rainer
09-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Thanks for your warm words.
You are right. I was not the only shooter on the wedding. Annother teammate with a Canon 50D and L-zoom lenses was at the start. I´m looking forward to see the result of his work...
I cannot understand his workflow. He shoot in Jpeg and not in Raw. I had to figure the whitebalance on nearly every pic. I cannot understand how he will do?!?!

Rainer
Many times getting white balance "good enough" is fine in the field, I'm sure he will spend a good amount of time in post processing adjusting it.

To many photographers shooting in JPEG is a better choice; you can fit more images on a card, they don't need to be processed to show the family, etc.

A lot of people shooting weddings will also do RAW + JPEG; JPEGs to show the family at the reception, for example and RAW to do all the editing with back at the ranch.

09-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I couldn't imagine shooting a wedding with 3 primes unless they were mounted on 3 separate bodies!

Nice pictures, and good flash work on the outdoor scenes.
09-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
If these are your first wedding pics, I would say you could definitely have a future in that business if you want one.
09-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh bigdave56 thanks a lot. You made my day...
Yes this was my first wedding as a photographer. I must say thanks to all people here with their fantastic pics I can learn from. That helps so much that with a little luck and a fine Pentax camera I can do the job.

09-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
I couldn't imagine shooting a wedding with 3 primes unless they were mounted on 3 separate bodies!

Nice pictures, and good flash work on the outdoor scenes.
What he said.
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice shots, were the customers also happy with the results?
09-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

congratulations on your first wedding and kudos for using prime lenses.
Us old school guys from the steam age always used primes, manual focus too.
Back in the day I used a 50mm for most everything and a 35mm for larger groups and close-in stuff like exiting the wedding car. Fill in flash for outside shots and bounce flash indoors, all manual. D**n, we had it tough eh!
Will you do more weddings now you got the bug?
Go on, you know you want to.....
09-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you have the right personality to shoot weddings it seems, i'm sure your team mate is happy with your images of their special moment at the time.
09-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you enjoyed yourself also.
They cooperated well with you as well.
You did OK - it does get difficult relying solely on primes for events like weddings when you do need to change FL quite often - so as much as I love primes, I tend to leave them home and use two zooms on two cameras (with at least an ultrawide zoom in the bag) to get everything I need with them both.
09-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Nice shots, were the customers also happy with the results?
Yes he is. I gave him yesterday the DVD with 250 OK pics, and 52 Best Off pics and he was very pleased. My Co-Shooter the Canon man always gave him a few pics on a cd. His indoor shots were good, the Canon 50D did a very good jpeg job with the indoor light. Outside many pics were burn out in the lights and no change in the deep. Outside Raw seems to be a must.

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
congratulations on your first wedding and kudos for using prime lenses.
Will you do more weddings now you got the bug?
Go on, you know you want to.....
Thanks a lot.

Before I did that job I couldnt imagine doing more wedding shots. Now I can say I liked it very much. I dont know how to find new wedding shot jobs. There are so much wedding photographers around, it must be difficult to find jobs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
They cooperated well with you as well.
You did OK - it does get difficult relying solely on primes for events like weddings when you do need to change FL quite often - so as much as I love primes, I tend to leave them home and use two zooms on two cameras (with at least an ultrawide zoom in the bag) to get everything I need with them both.
It was good that I knew the guy. So I had no reasons to be shy and could gave a lot of commands how they should act and so. That trained me well. I think next time I can also act with unknown people.
When I would find a payed wedding job I would buy me a good zoom lens like DA17-70. This plus my FA43 and FA77 sounds like a good team for jobs like that.

Rainer

Last edited by TKH; 09-28-2010 at 01:02 AM.
09-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #14
Forum Member

Well done, nice shots.
I also have done my first paid wedding using only da 15 and fa 43 and it turned out fine. Didn't feel constrained at all, although da 21 would be more useful than da 15.

Marcin
09-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

My wedding kit consists of 15LTD (specialty use for inside the Limo, otherwise it sits in the bag), the 21LTD (also limited use), the 31/1.8, DA*55/1.4, 70/2.4 and 85/1.4.
I also have two bodies in use during the service. I could cut out the 21 and 85 most of the time, and 70 all of the time if I was so inclined.