Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 191
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
looks pretty good IMO. but I would like to see the 18-135mm lens.
It needs its own topic I think, but some findings and opinions:

- Well build
- Compact
- No distortion at wide end
- No distorion at tele end
- Seems to be sharp.
- The aperture is 4.5 at 70mm

All the things above together with WR made me want to change my 17-70 to 18-135.


Last edited by Jyrkira; 09-26-2010 at 04:16 PM.
09-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
sharpness seems quite good wide open, and the OOF--surprisingly lovely.
09-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kobe/japan
Posts: 510
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
looks pretty good IMO. but I would like to see the 18-135mm lens.
yepp thats the hitch. My wife have been telling me why domp you buy one zoom and done with it. If quality is acceptable then might leave this and buy 18-135mm. The main thing with 35mm is that it is cheap so i can buy it from pocket money about 18-135 i might have to inform home ministry that i am going to buy it.
09-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
It needs its own topic I think, but some findings and opinions:

- Well build
- Compact
- No distortion at wide end
- No distorion at tele end
- Seems to be sharp.
- The aperture is 4.5 at 70mm

All the things above together with WR made me want to change my 17-70 to 18-135.

here are my impressions to what you stated,

1.> well-build - nice
2.> compact - great, expecially for travel
3.> no distortion at wide end - the main thing that I hated with the kitlens and other zooms at the wide end. glad that Pentax seem to have this fixed. otherwise, some precious time wasted during post-process. distortion can really be a PITA.
4.> no distortion at the tele-end - I think I expect this already.
5.> seems to be sharp - it needs to be sharp, otherwise, fail.
6.> f4.5 at 70mm - the 17-70 is a goner. probably same for the 16-45 and 16-50 even perhaps.
7.> WR - nice additional feature.

09-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
It's not just about the sharpness, that can be done in PPing, contrast and colours too... but look at those OOF backgrounds! Terrific for low end lens IMO! I may have to get one of these with excuse that it'll be for my wife
I strangely also desire one even though I have the FA31, too. The FA31 is just a little overkill on casual travel and it'd be nice to have a little plastic fantastic substitute.
09-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
It's not just about the sharpness, that can be done in PPing, contrast and colours too... but look at those OOF backgrounds! Terrific for low end lens IMO! I may have to get one of these with excuse that it'll be for my wife
Agreed - the bokeh in these photos is very pleasing.

I can see myself owning the DA35/2.4 *and* DA18-135WR in the not-too-distant future!
09-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I strangely also desire one even though I have the FA31, too. The FA31 is just a little overkill on casual travel and it'd be nice to have a little plastic fantastic substitute.
do you wanna sell it?
09-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 258
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
It's not just about the sharpness, that can be done in PPing, contrast and colours too... but look at those OOF backgrounds! Terrific for low end lens IMO! I may have to get one of these with excuse that it'll be for my wife
my husband got me a high end flashlight for my birthday last year, and a glock for christmas... I have a husband who "gets a present for his wife" LOL

but boy wouldnt it be nice if he actually did get me the 35 for christmas... anyone want his email *wink wink*

but in all seriousness, thanks, I was curious to see a few pics from this lens.

09-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
do you wanna sell it?
Nah. For some casual photography it may be overkill, but for other situations it is just the right amount of kill
09-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
my husband got me a high end flashlight for my birthday last year, and a glock for christmas... I have a husband who "gets a present for his wife" LOL

but boy wouldnt it be nice if he actually did get me the 35 for christmas... anyone want his email *wink wink*

but in all seriousness, thanks, I was curious to see a few pics from this lens.
I'll send mental vibes your way. When he wakes up in the morning complaining that he dreamed all night about a dancing 35 mm lens, try to act innocent!
09-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
here are my impressions to what you stated,

1.> well-build - nice
2.> compact - great, expecially for travel
3.> no distortion at wide end - the main thing that I hated with the kitlens and other zooms at the wide end. glad that Pentax seem to have this fixed. otherwise, some precious time wasted during post-process. distortion can really be a PITA.
4.> no distortion at the tele-end - I think I expect this already.
5.> seems to be sharp - it needs to be sharp, otherwise, fail.
6.> f4.5 at 70mm - the 17-70 is a goner. probably same for the 16-45 and 16-50 even perhaps.
7.> WR - nice additional feature.
Sharpness will be essential, and I'm interested to see how nice the bokeh is with the rounded aperture blades. If both turn out nice, this lens could be a winner.
09-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #27
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 191
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
here are my impressions to what you stated,

...
5.> seems to be sharp - it needs to be sharp, otherwise, fail.
There were no much light so most of my photos with 18-135 are blurred due to too slow shutter speeds. But from the few decent images I got it seems to be sharp. We need to wait a bit more to know that.

Some 18-135 images:

EDIT: I moved the images to the following chain:

DA 18-135 WR chain

Last edited by Jyrkira; 09-27-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Wrong chain for 18-135 images I think
09-27-2010, 03:17 AM   #28
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
There were no much light so most of my photos with 18-135 are blurred due to too slow shutter speeds. But from the few decent images I got it seems to be sharp. We need to wait a bit more to know that.

Would you be so kind to download PEF files?
09-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
in japan it will be available in shops sometime around mid nov. There is more than 90% chances i will be buying one in nov or dec.
Not by mid October in kit with K-r?
- That was my intension...
09-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #30
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
Just to stir, now that we've seen a little evidence of what this lens can do, any naysayers care to comment now about how soft its wide open shots are, or how ordinary its bokeh looks or how ridiculous it was for Pentax to release such a slow and cheaply built prime and how bad it will be for Pentax?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax 35mm, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offical K-5 sample pics adamfogerty Pentax News and Rumors 8 09-21-2010 03:52 AM
sample pics ranters Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 07-07-2009 09:58 AM
My first sample pics of DA21mm dsport Post Your Photos! 8 01-02-2009 08:19 AM
Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 sample pics jgredline Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 37 03-08-2008 07:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top