Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens questions.

Not sure exactly where to post this, but this seemed the most logical location.

First off, I decided to look at the various lenses and cameras I have currently in storage.

Here are the various Pentax cameras I have.

From left to right: Asahi Pentax S, Pentax P3, Pentax SF10, Pentax K10D.

And here is a photo of what lenses I have from the Pentax S (screw mount), P3 (KM and KA series), and SF10 (KAF series) cameras.

1. Cosmicar MC 28mm 1:2.8 on P3.
2. Magnicon 28-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 AF on SF10.
3. Kiron 2x teleconverter PA/RX
4. MC Hanimex Automatic Zoom c-macro 80-200mm 1:4.5 (no A setting)
5. Soligor Wide 35mm 1:3.5 (screw mount)
6. Magnicon 70-210mm 1:4.5 AF
7. SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1:2.0
8. Magnicon 28-70mm 1:2.8-4.5 AF

Here are my questions?

1. Does anyone know who made the Magnicon lenses? What I do know is that they were made for a Canadian photography store chain called Blacks. Other then that, I have no clue if they are Vivitars, Tokinas, Tamrons, or something other. They are all labeled Japan, and are circa 1989.
2. I have a Cosmicar 28mm lens. I can’t seem to find much info on Cosmicar. Is this made by Pentax? Anyone have and use this lens? Wondering if it is any good. I haven’t tried this one out yet on the K10D.
3. Does anyone know anything about the Hanimex lens? It has no A settings. It has an odd name.

I guess I am curious at some of the old lenses I have in my closet. I have tried the Pentax 50mm, and quite liked the results.

Last edited by Chako; 09-06-2007 at 03:01 PM.
09-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Magnicon are either Vivitar or Tokina, the 70-210 you have i believe is a Vivitar while both the 28-70 are Tokina's... those would be my guesses.

Cosmicar is a division of Pentax iirc.
09-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I googled Cosmicar and found that they only make lenses for video cameras and other applications. I guess they used to make PK mount lenses at one time. Is it right to assume that this lens is inferior to the Pentax branded version, or is it on par?
09-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
vivitar NEVER made a lens. they farmed out their designs..

09-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a Cosmicar f2.8 28mm A series lens. It did appear a little different than the Pentax SMC version and didn't have that multi coating but otherwise was a very good lens. Just a little more prone to flare and didn't render colour as nicely. Avant is right that Cosmicar was a division of Pentax and mostly made CCTV and security lenses. They dabbled in photographic lenses as a cheaper economy brand that never went too far.
09-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, I knew that Vivitar didn't have a plant to make their own.

I did some more research and it would seem the smaller Magnicons are Tokina lenses. I am having a very hard time trying to find the 70-210 f4.5. I can presume that since the focus grip, etc, are similar to the smaller lenses, this might be a Tokina, however, I cannot seem to find any constant f4.5 lenses in the 70-210 that are labeled Tokina. Several lens manufacturers would make a lens to spec of the buyer. So just because it looks like the others, does not mean its of the same lineage. Sigh.

I hauled out the literature that came with the lenses (they just say Magnicon). Not sure if anyone will recognize the OEM from the specs..but worth a try.

NAF/PAF
Aperture: f4.5-32
Construction 12E-9G
Angle of View: 4-11 degrees
Minimum Focus: 1.5M
Filter Size: 55mm
Length: 128mm
Weight: 620 grams
Coating: Multi-coated
Focus System: Automatic
Made in Japan

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I guess I should probably take a few test shots of the Cosmicar on the K10D.
09-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I had a Cosmicar f2.8 28mm A series lens. It did appear a little different than the Pentax SMC version and didn't have that multi coating but otherwise was a very good lens. Just a little more prone to flare and didn't render colour as nicely. Avant is right that Cosmicar was a division of Pentax and mostly made CCTV and security lenses. They dabbled in photographic lenses as a cheaper economy brand that never went too far.
Cosmicar brand was also used for the "new" Takumars. Multicoated but not super multicoated.
Pentax Zoom Lenses without SMC Coating
Magnicon looks to be a "store brand" not a manufacturer so may be anyone.
quote...........
I bought a store brand FD zoom years back. It is Magnicon. What I'm wondering is who made these lenses since Magnicon I dont believe made their own? It was a Blacks Cameras store brand. Blacks took over Kits Cameras years back. I think Blacks may be Western Canada only, but can't be sure. The build quality wasn't bad on the lens I got, but its optics are in question because of the range. It has since been retired, but I can't bare to throw it out either.
Canon FD Forum: How are off brand fd lenes? - photo.net

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-06-2007 at 05:48 PM.