Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
F/FA Lens Repair

Anyone have a good reference for someone who might do F/FA lens repair?

I purchased a lens recently that has just a very smallish hitch in the focus mechanism. Nothing serious. When manually focusing it binds ever so slightly at the infinity end. In AF, sometime I can hear it slightly if it focuses to infinity. It does not effect speed or auto focus, but I'd like to make it right.

Thanks in advance.

woof!

09-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I had a similar issue with my DA21. I got it fixed at Service Camera pro in Quebec city. Wonderful and fast service. You can also search the forum for Eric, a well-regarded Pentax repairman.
09-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi-jacking the thread a bit (excuse me):

How hard is the disassembly of those non-SMD lens (M, A, FA, etc..)? Any specific tools? Is it possible to service it at home and still reassembly without render it useless (losing alignment, etc.)?

If anyone knows material (forum posts, sites) about that, or is experienced with and got any tips, I would be grateful.

I ask this because there's a plentifulness of used lenses on the used market here, but not many places for repair work. Today I was forced on not taking some fine M f/1.4 home from the flea market by $15 simply because it was full of dust inside.
09-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There are a few threads on the forum about dissasembling your lens. It's not for the faint of heart, you do need non standard tools (or creativity to use household items as replacement tools) but it can be done.

09-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Anyone have a good reference for someone who might do F/FA lens repair?

I purchased a lens recently that has just a very smallish hitch in the focus mechanism. Nothing serious. When manually focusing it binds ever so slightly at the infinity end. In AF, sometime I can hear it slightly if it focuses to infinity. It does not effect speed or auto focus, but I'd like to make it right.

Thanks in advance.

woof!
Email Eric and see if he will look at it.
09-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Nubi

Let me hijack it too. I am sorry.

I just took my FA 50 apart because I dropped it some months ago and focusing ring became very tight. I now have no idea how to put them back together. I saved all the pins and screws and all the parts. Can Eric put that back together too?
09-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Let me hijack it too. I am sorry.

I just took my FA 50 apart because I dropped it some months ago and focusing ring became very tight. I now have no idea how to put them back together. I saved all the pins and screws and all the parts. Can Eric put that back together too?
You will have to ask him. He does AF gear on a case by case basis.
09-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You will have to ask him. He does AF gear on a case by case basis.
Thanks! I guess I will ask him about that. But, I since bought ZK 50/1.4. That was why I took it apart anyway. Yes the focus ring was tight, but I could still take pics . . . .

09-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Blue... thanks... I did. He said he'd look at it. So I guess that's the route I'll take.

Last edited by woof; 09-27-2010 at 01:23 PM.