Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had 4 shots accepted into the PPG yesterday which were taken with the 70-200mm APO EX MKI.

Not sure where people get the idea the K-7 is rubbish at high ISO either .. first one is ISO 2000

09-30-2010, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
So has any reader of this thread who also owns the 2nd (or is it 3rd) gen of this Sigma lens, specifically with the HSM, used it with the Tamron Pz-AF 1.4x MC4 TC or any other TC with the Pz connection? I seem to remember reading posts that it acutally 'slows down' HSM focusing speed?
Yes, I've tried it with the Tamron TC: it works but really not all that well in terms of AF speed and "lock on".

Also, I suspect (on a purely "after the fact, therefore due to the fact" basis) that using it with that TC may have had something to do with the HSM issues that developed with that lens his year (fixed by Sigma under warranty) so I've decided not to try that combination again. It's no really loss as far as I'm concerned--I'm really after the native zoom range and it performs beautifully there.

Interestingly, the lens seems to be sharper wide open since I got it back from repair--here's a 100% crop:

10-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #18

Original Poster
I've updated the original post with some more photos. I removed the filter like Mike suggested and that seems to have almost totally solved the BF problem!
10-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd love to see some comparisons with the Tamron

10-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Eruditass: Eruditass I'd love to see some comparisons with the Tamron.
Yes, and I'll second that one I hope to pick between these 2, soon.
10-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #21
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Yes, I've tried it with the Tamron TC: it works but really not all that well in terms of AF speed and "lock on".

Also, I suspect (on a purely "after the fact, therefore due to the fact" basis) that using it with that TC may have had something to do with the HSM issues that developed with that lens his year (fixed by Sigma under warranty) so I've decided not to try that combination again. It's no really loss as far as I'm concerned--I'm really after the native zoom range and it performs beautifully there.

Interestingly, the lens seems to be sharper wide open since I got it back from repair--here's a 100% crop:
I missed your reply to my question. Sorry I didn't notice and say thanx sooner.

What you mention about the TC possibly creating a HSM problem is worrisome. I just bought a Tamron Pz TC with the intent of using it with an HSM zoom for more reach when needed. (making the 70-200 act/perform similar to Tamron's 100-300/4 is enticing) ...but now Yikes!

Interesting too regarding the better performance now that you sent it in for service. Sigma USA is just a few miles away from me and I wanted to bring my 300/2.8 to them for a cleaning inside years back. The aperture screws came loose on me when I was in an extremely high dust environment of the Serengeti. I've noticed some front/back focus (not both, just one of the two. I'm just not sure which is which) and what you observed makes me think I would have been happier if I'd done so years back.
10-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
What you mention about the TC possibly creating a HSM problem is worrisome. I just bought a Tamron Pz TC with the intent of using it with an HSM zoom for more reach when needed. (making the 70-200 act/perform similar to Tamron's 100-300/4 is enticing) ...but now Yikes!

Interesting too regarding the better performance now that you sent it in for service. Sigma USA is just a few miles away from me and I wanted to bring my 300/2.8 to them for a cleaning inside years back. The aperture screws came loose on me when I was in an extremely high dust environment of the Serengeti. I've noticed some front/back focus (not both, just one of the two. I'm just not sure which is which) and what you observed makes me think I would have been happier if I'd done so years back.
I should emphasize that both points are fairly speculative. I will say that accessing Sigma service was a no hassle proposition.

03-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I came across the APO EX (non DG) version for little less than 600 USD.

Just wondering... Is that reasonable price for this lens? Is this FF or APS-C lens? Will it work with K-3 without troubles?
03-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ant answer K3 but K5 no issue. The lens holds its value well because except for the latest HSM 2 optically stabalized one is the.sharpest there is. I still shoot my lens every week.
03-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Ant answer K3 but K5 no issue. The lens holds its value well because except for the latest HSM 2 optically stabalized one is the.sharpest there is. I still shoot my lens every week.

Thanks, glad to hear that. So is this FF lens?
03-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Thanks, glad to hear that. So is this FF lens?
Yes. The reason there is no DG designation is this lens came out for film cameras
03-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Yes. The reason there is no DG designation is this lens came out for film cameras

And what about AF performance? I mean is it fast?
03-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
And what about AF performance? I mean is it fast?
In its own ( notTCs ) it is quite good for a screw drive l me, k is a bit slow with a 2x Tc which is how I normally use it
03-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How well does this lens stack up to the Pentax FA* 80-200 f2.8?
03-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone know the answer to my question in the previous post?