Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #1

Pentax DA*300 2.8 w/TC Tamron AF 1.4x or Sigma "Bigma" 50-500 OS HSM?

Hello all,

I 'm lurking to find lens w/perform better over fl 300mm for quite long.

1. I impress w the result of Pentax DA*300 f4 but it looks to short for my need. I'm thinking to get TC of Tamron AF 1.4x which some users report it will works on Pentax lenses w/ SDM.

2. Sigma just offered their revised Bigma 50-500 w/ added feature of their own lens SR (OS). So, as Pentax users we have oppurtunity to choose between of these feature.

What I want to know are,

a. Is The TC of Tamron AF 1.4x work for Pentax DA*300 f4?
b. Which one can deliver better performance above fl400?

Many thanks,
RTOGOG

09-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have wondered the same thing. I have the older model Bigma without HSM or OS. Got it last year for Xmas. Since I have owned this lens for 8+ months, I have noticed my pictures becoming sharper and sharper. I attribute that to learning better technique and learning the lens itself. I have almost put it up for sale a couple of times but I hesitate because of the need of finding a 300 f4 used AND a teleconverter which Pentax does not make at the present time. I wish they did.
The Sigma is heavy and needs at least a monopod for best results on wildlife. The DA* 300 is unquestionably sharp and is lighter. I bought the 55-300 to go with me when I feel the Bigma too large to tote around and am very happy with the results I get from it. I too would like to hear some additional input regarding the IQ of the DA*300 with converter vs the Bigma.
09-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I remember correctly my 2x Tamron TC of the similar flavor does Not operate the SDM. In fact, it's kind of finicky with the DA*300 all together. Unless you have to have complete AF, the best option I've used is the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter. Simply get the lens Close, press the shutter button and it snaps right into focus. Easily 3 or 4 times as fast as the SDM is on it's own.

09-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If I remember correctly my 2x Tamron TC of the similar flavor does Not operate the SDM. In fact, it's kind of finicky with the DA*300 all together. Unless you have to have complete AF, the best option I've used is the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter. Simply get the lens Close, press the shutter button and it snaps right into focus. Easily 3 or 4 times as fast as the SDM is on it's own.

I also have TC Pentax 1.7x AF and like to know some samples from combination w Pentax DA*300 f4. Many thanks, RTogog

09-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have tried my beloved da*300/4 with 3 TCs. Although it the AF works (mostly) with the Tamron Pz MC4 1.4x, I tested it enough to decide the loss of AF speed and some IQ left me with results NO BETTER than just cropping from the lens alone.

This is reversed with the Pentax F1.7x TC that has given me some superb 510mm shots.

So, play with the 1.4x on a da*300 and get it out of your system so you can find a good 1.7x and make using a TC worthwhile.
09-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #6

I was just trying to make a similar decision. I was looking at the 150-500 HSM OS vs 300 DA* f/4.

Here's the thread I had on the topic: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/109714-advice-...ml?src=subsct2

I decided on the 300mm f/4 after reading a good bit about the various sigma options and the DA*. I'm getting a Kenko 1.5 TC this week, which reportedly allows SDM to function, though I don't know how well yet.

I haven't had the lens long, but here's what I've taken so far: Flickr: Search Mike Moss' photostream
09-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #7

Oh, tcom/dominique has a bunch of sets up that compare some of these lenses: Collection: Lenses
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I was looking at the DA* 300mm f/4 prime, but the cost here was $500 more than the new Bigma with OS. I also liked the images from the Sigma 100-300 EX f/4 a little better than the DA*300.

Overall, I'm quite happy with my Bigma with OS, it's a very versatile lens, the 1:3 macro mode @ 200mm and great, and the ability to use 400-500mm often (and i usually do) are something i could not be without. HSM, OS are a nice bonus. I wish it had a focus limiter however.

My main problems with Bigma, is the speed... 6.3 or (f/8.0) where i generally try to stay makes shooting with fast shutter speeds a constant challenge to avoid high ISO. In bright light it's fine, but anything else is a challenge.

I noticed that Sigma have announced a 120-300 f2.8 WR lens with circular aperture blades. If this is available on a Pentax mount, i will likely add this at some point, as that one with a TC seems like a much better bet to me. However i don't think an F/4 would be enough of an advantage, so i await the f/2.8 Sigma.

09-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RTogog Quote
I also have TC Pentax 1.7x AF and like to know some samples from combination w Pentax DA*300 f4. Many thanks, RTogog
The young lady in the picture is my second cousin (my cousin's daughter). The only reason I'm showing that picture is because she has sunglasses on and is over 18 otherwise, I wouldn't be publicly displaying it. I do have more samples but they are of extended family member's kids that don't belong to me. Something I rarely show. I would however be happy to go take more photos when the weather clears around here. Stay tuned if you can wait (though I'm sure other people have this combo as well)..

09-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
The young lady in the picture is my second cousin (my cousin's daughter). The only reason I'm showing that picture is because she has sunglasses on and is over 18 otherwise, I wouldn't be publicly displaying it. I do have more samples but they are of extended family member's kids that don't belong to me. Something I rarely show. I would however be happy to go take more photos when the weather clears around here. Stay tuned if you can wait (though I'm sure other people have this combo as well)..

Many thanks for the picture. Is this taken w Pentax DA*300 f4 + Pentax TC 1.7x AF? It looks sharp ! Wherecan I find the Exif data? RTogog
09-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Many thanks for the picture. Is this taken w Pentax DA*300 f4 + Pentax TC 1.7x AF? It looks sharp ! Wherecan I find the Exif data? RTogog
Yes it is taken with teh combo of DA*300 and the 1.7x AF adapter..

Exif
Camera Pentax K-7
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/6.7
Focal Length 500 mm
ISO Speed 125
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire
X-Resolution 240 dpi
Y-Resolution 240 dpi
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
Metering Mode Spot
Color Space sRGB
Sensing Method One-chip color area
CFAPattern [Blue,Green][Green,Red]
Custom Rendered Normal
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Manual
Focal Length In35mm Format 750 mm
Scene Capture Type Standard
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Normal
Subject Distance Range Macro

Subject distance states Macro but I was in fact, 20+ feet from her (close to 7m)
09-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #12

Original Poster
Yes it is taken with teh combo of DA*300 and the 1.7x AF adapter..

Exif
Camera Pentax K-7
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/6.7
Focal Length 500 mm
ISO Speed 125
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire
X-Resolution 240 dpi
Y-Resolution 240 dpi
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
Metering Mode Spot
Color Space sRGB
Sensing Method One-chip color area
CFAPattern [Blue,Green][Green,Red]
Custom Rendered Normal
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Manual
Focal Length In35mm Format 750 mm
Scene Capture Type Standard
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Normal
Subject Distance Range Macro

Subject distance states Macro but I was in fact, 20+ feet from her (close to 7m)
Many thanks,

I impressed w this combo to deliver such kind details on that focal length. This combo is equivalent Bigma wide open, but I'm not sure whether Bigma can dig such details.

RTogog
09-28-2010, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Many thanks,

I impressed w this combo to deliver such kind details on that focal length. This combo is equivalent Bigma wide open, but I'm not sure whether Bigma can dig such details.

RTogog
I guess only you can decide, but here are two from my Bigma, the 2nd is 500mm (750mm @ f/8.0) I can get full crops if it would help you. (Keep in mind the first is ISO1600, so may not be the best example)

09-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
I guess only you can decide, but here are two from my Bigma, the 2nd is 500mm (750mm @ f/8.0) I can get full crops if it would help you. (Keep in mind the first is ISO1600, so may not be the best example)

Very sharp!
This make me abit tough to choose between 2 of them.
Where can I find the original file (crop area cn the the focus point)
09-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I've put up a few more photos using the 300/1.7xAF on my flickr page.

Pentax DA*300mm SDM - a set on Flickr

The first 8 you see in the set are from today.

A few things worth noting here.

If you want a Zoom, go with the Bigma. Nothing wrong with it in my limited experience with the one I had. The Bigma IS about twice the weight (or it seems that way) as the 300/TC combo. If you are looking for a fast action lens, get the Bigma (between the two). The SDM lens does not focus itself at all but you have to estimate (sort of) your focus and then let the adapter take over. For a moving subject nearby, it's next to impossible to catch any action. By nearby, I mean 20 feet or less.

With the 300mm and the adapter, you will easily be $1200 into the set. The adapter can be used with other lenses but to get a 500mm prime, it may be more than you want to do. OF course, the DA*300 at 300mm is just fantastic.

There are going to be trade offs either way you go so good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by JeffJS; 09-29-2010 at 06:19 PM.