Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Best Lens Hood For a 18-55mm L

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The kit lens I got with my white Kx didn't come with a hood.
What's a good hood for this lens?

By the way, I also have a K7 & tried using the hood that came with the 18-55mm WR lens but that won't fit on the L lens.
(Makes me wonder why Pentax stripped the L version to the point where you can't use the non-L hood? Would it have cost that much more to have the L capable of using the same hood?)

09-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
The kit lens I got with my white Kx didn't come with a hood.
What's a good hood for this lens?
By the way, I also have a K7 & tried using the hood that came with the 18-55mm WR lens but that won't fit on the L lens.
(Makes me wonder why Pentax stripped the L version to the point where you can't use the non-L hood? Would it have cost that much more to have the L capable of using the same hood?)
You are right, the hoods appear to be different for the "L" vs. "WA" models. According to Bojidar Dimitrov's page for the "L" lens, the hood part number is: PH-RBA52. The hood for the WA version is PH-RBC52.

See: DA L 18-55/3.5-5.6 AL
DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 AL WR

That said, have a look at this: Lens Hood for Pentax K2000, K20D,K200D w/18-55mm Lens - eBay (item 390120496732 end time Oct-14-10 19:13:57 PDT)

This lens hood is a direct replacement for the correct PH-RBA52 and is much less expensive than the Pentax version. I purchased a replacement hood for my 55-300mm hood as I dropped it in a field somewhere, and the quality is quite good. On first use it was somewhat stiff going on. But after that it has looked and felt like the real thing, and in fact seems to click into place a little more snugly and positively.

There are a lot of these on eBay. I'd go with something like this as it is purpose built and nearly indistinguishable from the original.
Hope this helps. Kind regards.
woof!
09-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one place where I could just slap Pentax. Supply the darn hood, already. There's no cheaper way to make your brand look good than to provide a piece of plastic like that, and no less-profitable way to make your brand look bad than to not do so.

It's like, 'Hey, let's talk IQ and hope stark beginners decide they want to pay fourty bucks to not be walking around with nekkid kit zooms! ....while they have *no idea why they should even want that fifty-cent piece of plastic..*

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-28-2010 at 02:51 PM.
09-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
This is one place where I could just slap Pentax. Supply the darn hood, already. There's no cheaper way to make your brand look good than to provide a piece of plastic like that, and no less-profitable way to make your brand look bad than to not do so.
I have to agree RML, when a Nikon friend of mine found that the lens didn't come with a hood he asked "how cheap can they get?"

NaCl(it costs what? a dollar to make?)H2O

09-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I have to agree RML, when a Nikon friend of mine found that the lens didn't come with a hood he asked "how cheap can they get?"

Boneheaded capitalism frustrating well-intentioned engineers, is what it is. Entry level cameras should have on their set-up screen, 'OK, you spent like an impounded Honda's ransom on this thing, it's now time to put that piece of plastic on your lens. This should never be removed until you know exactly why. Just trust me.'
09-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

I'm not sure how Nikon works but when I got my Nikon a few years back there wasn't a hood for the kit lens either
09-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I'm not sure how Nikon works but when I got my Nikon a few years back there wasn't a hood for the kit lens either
I, for one, didn't say anyone *else* was being any smarter about that, either. Actually, Canikon's kit lenses are things I've considered just kind of insulting to begin with, never mind something to be hunting down matched hoods for.

09-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I, for one, didn't say anyone *else* was being any smarter about that, either. Actually, Canikon's kit lenses are things I've considered just kind of insulting to begin with, never mind something to be hunting down matched hoods for.
I agree with you. my comment was directed to NaClH2O