Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Loose spring in DA* 16-50mm?

Hi all,

after unpacking my suitcase, after a rather long flight, I find that my DA* 16-50 has a nasty sound / resistance when zooming out (exactly where the second sleeve starts moving) It sounds like a spring has come loose. Has any one else experienced this? I ordered the lens with Adorama two years ago, so I guess warranty is over, and where I live there's no repair shop (drawback of living in a developing country) so any advice is welcome!

Thanks

09-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Did you look closely at the barrel for dents or deformations? This would be the most common thing wrong. You did not mention if the SDM is not working or even able to focus properly. Stand the lens, mount cap on, and turn it in the fully extended and retracted positions to see if it is bent or sitting funny. If it was in a case during the trip, was it a soft case or hard?
09-29-2010, 01:13 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. SDM no problem, but when I took it off the camera to check more in detail, two bits of metal came out (about 2 cm long, one messing-like the other more steel) semi circular flat bits with notches at both ends. No idea what they should be doing, but they're obviously not doing it any more
10-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a E clip or snap ring? I've not looked inside a SDM lens, but in a zoom sometimes a spring is used to assist the return of a cam to position. Without it, the action will be tight or stiff or the lens will not travel to full adjustments.