Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FA*85mm for FA77mm owner

I recently purchased FA77mm. I am considering to buy either FA85mm or Tamron 70-200mm. What would you suggest?

Also, is buying 85mm worth since I already purchased FA77mm?

Last edited by yusuf; 09-28-2010 at 07:56 AM.
09-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I recently purchased FA77mm. I am considering to buy either FA85mm or Tamron 70-200mm. What would you suggest?
I currently have both the 77 and 85 and personally think they're a little close in focal length to really justify owning both (LBA aside). Between the two, it basically comes down to a little extra speed and IQ (IMO) vs a much, much smaller lenses that is 10x more discrete.

So if you're keeping the 77, and don't already have a fast, long zoom, I think I would suggest the 70-200 over the 85. I've also used the Tamron 70-200 and think it's a terrific lens (like a giant version of my favorite Tamron, the 28-75).

Can't really go wrong with any of the three lenses you mentioned.
09-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This question seems to come up often. In my case I have both the FA77 and the FA* 85. Both have their uses; the FA77 is in the same kit as my FA31 and FA43. Great for travel. If I want uncompromised IQ regardless of the weight then I always choose the FA* 85 (yes, I prefer its output over the FA77 although they are damn close, but the FA* 85 wins IMHO).
09-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does your budget look like? The least expensive FA85 I've seen (in the US) is $1200+. I'd love to have one and If I ever get the chance, will have one. Considering how much I use my 77 though, couldn't Really justify it (couldn't justify the 77 either ). For Practical use, you may be better served by the zoom.

09-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff, budget is not a constraint but again that's not a small amount for me and why to spend if not justified.

@Asahiflex, Thanks. Can you elaborate on 'damm close' - is that sharpness, bokeh, colors?
09-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

@Asahiflex, Thanks. Can you elaborate on 'damm close' - is that sharpness, bokeh, colors?
It's hard to explain. Let's just say it's a combination of focal length, sharpness (my copy of the FA* 85 is already sharp at f/1.4) and bokeh. You could say the same about the FA77, but it's only a bit less. In real world circumstances a casual viewer would not be able to see the differences however.
09-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i wondered the same thing given im liking to muck about with portraits, but with APS-C, the 85mm is getting long... And the 77mm is a LOT cheaper.

if money was no object i'd buy both, but for now the 50/1.4, the 77ltd and DA*50-135 should do me.
09-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's hard to explain. Let's just say it's a combination of focal length, sharpness (my copy of the FA* 85 is already sharp at f/1.4) and bokeh. You could say the same about the FA77, but it's only a bit less. In real world circumstances a casual viewer would not be able to see the differences however.
For what it's worth, I had two copies of the FA*85 recently (long story, but the bottom line is my first copy didn't have an original hood and the only original hood I could find had another FA*85 attached to it ) Anyway, for what it's worth they were both nice and sharp wide-open at f/1.4. From everything I've read, the FA*85's performance wide open is quite good.

Last edited by dgaies; 09-29-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling typo
09-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
For what it's worth, I had two copies of the FA*85 recently (long sroty, but the bottom line is my first copy didn't have an original hood and the only original hood I could find had another FA*85 attached to it ) Anyway, for what it's worth they were both nice and sharp wide-open at f/1.4. From everything I've read, the FA*85's performance wide open is quite good.
Yeah, I saw your adv and before I could decide it was gone

Btw, what makes you keep both 77mm and 85mm, keeping LBA aside.
09-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, I saw your adv and before I could decide it was gone

Btw, what makes you keep both 77mm and 85mm, keeping LBA aside.
Yeah, it sold pretty quickly. Although it didn't have an original hood and had a few chips in the silver paint, it was excellent optically and mechanically so I'm not too surpirsed it sold right away at $950 shipped

As to why I bought both the 77 and 85, I don't have a good answer to that other than LBA (and the fact that I found good deals on the 85 and couldn't resist trying them out). Honestly, the 77 is more lens that I need, which makes the 85 a lot more lens than I need. But as with almost all my lenses, I just got a bit carried away buying, selling and trading lenses and ended up with way more (and better) glass than I need. That said, the reason I still have both is because I don't know how to choose one to let go. I feel like if I dumped the 77 I would regret not having a very compact, fast telephoto lens and if I dumped the 85 I would regret getting rid of perhaps the best lens I own. That and it's not easy to come by a well priced 85 makes me hold on to it, at least for now. Now once I get the inch to try the K5, we'll see what has to go to fund that
09-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

if you are going to ask my opinion, it is a tough one and especially if you don't have a valid or subjective reason to get the FA*85, aside from LBA.

having not known what is the difference between a 77mm to an 85mm is more like saying you love the FA77 but would wish what I can get with an 85. for this, it isn't much different.

the FA77 is a great lens and is wider and what I can say is already perfect, especially for it's size. it can also me used as a pseudo-macro if you want to because of it very sharp rendering.
it can do portraits just as well as the 85mm.

now, as far as preferring an 85 over a 77 is more on a personal preference choice. for most old time photographers, the 85mm has been a regular favorite. reasons can vary from 85mm rendering (which I don't believe you won't even care about), extra speed and subject isolation (can be a reason). but at such difference, you pay an extra premium and added weight and size.

I'm not recommending it unless you really need it or able to afford keeping both lenses. otherwise, one of the lenses would end up gathering some dusts.
10-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for the great insight.