Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Thank you very much Lowell, this has given me "closure" on something trivial that surprised me over the summer. I already had an SMC-A 35mm but my brother-in-law gave me his old SMC-M 35mm since he doesn't use it anymore. I was playing with some long exposure testshots using both of these and I was surprised at the difference between the two in purplification. Your explanation makes total sense.

Thanks again.

-Nass
+1 to props to Lowell. This actually informed a lot about the differences between lenses made during the B&W era and now . Something I actually was wondering to myself throughout the years.

now my question is - how does green and purple fringing affect a B&W image? My guess is it can create a soft glow around some subjects. Or does it generally disappear once reduced to true B&W? Is this seen in some older black and white photography?

09-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #17

Original Poster
Since this is opened - I am curious of any 35mm lenses (takumar or not even) which have a similar dreamy bokeh to compliment my 50 and 135.

thx
09-29-2010, 01:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's the same as Lateral Chromatic Abberation. I just call it Out Of Focus Fringing because most people then immediately recognize what I'm talking about.

Even superb lenses such as the FA77 have this problem
Asahiflex is correct in not calling it an abberation, because scientifically those "abberations" are only defined in the focus plane. Only if you see those colors in the in-focus area, it is an abberation.

Almost all lenses show Out Of Focus Fringing to some extent.
Normally, the wider the opening the more problematic.
As Lowell Goudge already noted, older lenses, dedicated for B/W only, may show this more.

I would try a 35/2.0 lens.
09-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Pentax lenses started being aprochromatic?
pentax are still making non-apochromatic lenses - DA*200mm f/2.8 is a good example. Some of the OOF fringing I have seen from that lens is absolutely abhorrent.

09-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's the same as Lateral Chromatic Abberation. I just call it Out Of Focus Fringing because most people then immediately recognize what I'm talking about.

Even superb lenses such as the FA77 have this problem
The K105 2.8, widely regarded as a superb lens, has it big-time at 2.8 on contrasty edges - foliage under strong sunlight is the worst. The fringing closer than the focal plane tends to be positively reddish rather than purple. Green behind.
09-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
The K105 2.8, widely regarded as a superb lens, has it big-time at 2.8 on contrasty edges - foliage under strong sunlight is the worst. The fringing closer than the focal plane tends to be positively reddish rather than purple. Green behind.
What is going on here? Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 OR Rokkor 58mm 1.4?

It seems the SMC Takumar is outperforming the Super-Takumar. Are they possibly not using the original makes with the 8 elements?

Is the Super-Takumar wanted mainly for its Bokeh effect with the elements?