Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Handholding this lens is not terribly difficult as long as it's moderately bright. Here's a link to quite a few shots taken with the 300 hand held (some with other lenses but all are labeled). As you can see as long as you are careful with your basics, you can get some pretty good shots handheld.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/5813-kites-lots-images-some-replies.html

NaCl(there are quite a few more shots around, it's a popular lens in this forum)H2O

09-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I don't disagree with hand holding, BUT, when used with the 1.7 AF TC you are discussing holding a 500 mm f/6.8 lens and usually (except when I use a flash on my *istD) there is never enough light.

ALSO the Adorama bracket supports the lens under the lens hood, which is flimsy, or directly uner the lens front group with the hood extended. This part moves when focusing, and as a result it cannot really be easily relied on for a firm mount.

Remember this is not an IF lens. The front group moves with focusing
09-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #18
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i wouldn't worry about it. the lens isn't that heavy. when i had the A*300 i hung it and my DS almost everywhere .. the zoo, the back country, just everywhere. it's a little heavier also and i never had a problem. the 300/2.8 actually has strap attachments on the lens.
09-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't disagree with hand holding, BUT, when used with the 1.7 AF TC you are discussing holding a 500 mm f/6.8 lens and usually (except when I use a flash on my *istD) there is never enough light.

ALSO the Adorama bracket supports the lens under the lens hood, which is flimsy, or directly uner the lens front group with the hood extended. This part moves when focusing, and as a result it cannot really be easily relied on for a firm mount.

Well I do not use a TC with the lens so available light usually isn't a problem with the kind of shooting I do with it. Also as I said in my post, I pre focus the lens before mounting it so that there is only minor fine focusing needed after mounting. I've had no problems with this proceedure.

NaCl(but it's not used all that often, mostly the lens gets hand held)H2O

09-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #20
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
IALSO the Adorama bracket supports the lens under the lens hood, which is flimsy, or directly uner the lens front group with the hood extended. This part moves when focusing, and as a result it cannot really be easily relied on for a firm mount.
that was the A*300s problem.. even if you wanted to add a ring or rest there was no where on the lens that did not move
09-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
that was the A*300s problem.. even if you wanted to add a ring or rest there was no where on the lens that did not move
Roy

Go back to my photo of the bracket.

This one does pick up the only non moving point (relitive to the lens mount) on the SMC-300 f/4.0. I would need to look at the SMC-A & SMC-M and other varients to see if they have a similar point
09-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #22
roy
Inactive Account

lowell, if it could be made, i'd have done it.. i'm a real DIYer. there a BIG difference in the configuration between the two. yes. i may make one for my tak300.