Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2007, 03:52 AM   #1

Pentax SMC 300 f4

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just taken delivery of this today and the initial impression is good sharpness and lovely contrast, but boy is it BIG. Mine is the K version and does not have a tripod mount, and while I would have no worries mounting it on my MX, I am a little concerned about my K100D. I think I read somewhere here that Manfrotto do a lens support, but before commiting to a purchase I would appreciate thoughts/advice as to whether I need worry. I mainly use a monopod as most of my stuff is wildlife.

Thanks

09-07-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
baw

I use a selfmade lenssuport, basically an aluminium strip, with on one end a Novoflex quickrelease, to hold the camera, and on the other end a rounded lens support at different distances for my two long lenses.
(Sigma 70-300 and Tamron 18-250)
There are two threads to attach the monopod so the pod is allways attached very close to the centre of gravity for each setup.

See this album for some examples. All panda shots where taken with this setup in pretty low light.
09-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shelob1 Quote
Just taken delivery of this today and the initial impression is good sharpness and lovely contrast, but boy is it BIG. Mine is the K version and does not have a tripod mount, and while I would have no worries mounting it on my MX, I am a little concerned about my K100D. I think I read somewhere here that Manfrotto do a lens support, but before commiting to a purchase I would appreciate thoughts/advice as to whether I need worry. I mainly use a monopod as most of my stuff is wildlife.

Thanks
Regarding tripod mount please see the attached photo (forgive me I took it with a K&%#K point and shoot)

You might notice this has a 1.7x autofocus TC attached. You can make this type of bracket out of 1/8 inch aluminium, epoxy and some rivits. I have 2, one for the K10D and one for the *istD. I found that each camera's geometry and specifically lens centerline to base plate is a little different

As for the images you can get see the photo of a chickadee below. Shot at 1/150th and F8 with the 1.7x AF TC and AF500FTZ flash on my *istD
Attached Images

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 02-22-2008 at 02:47 PM.
09-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
I guess I will have to increase my fabrication skills (currently zip)! Looks like a job for a friend of mine.

Great picture of the bird, looks just like our Long Tailed Tit. Impressive at 1/150so your mount looks like it does it's job.

I shot some photo's hand held at 1/180 which were quite good and that is down to SR I think, but I had to be real careful. I used my monopod and this undoubtly made real world shooting more practical, but I was very wary of the strain on the tripod thread. Maybe I'm being too worried.

09-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I will have to increase my fabrication skills (currently zip)! Looks like a job for a friend of mine.

Great picture of the bird, looks just like our Long Tailed Tit. Impressive at 1/150so your mount looks like it does it's job.
note I used flash for this, and hand held. These things just don't stay still long enough for the tripod. Just thought you would want to see the quality of what you bought.
09-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
I am even more impressed with the shot!

I have the following Penatax gear which, with 1 exception, delivers really good images and why I am prepared to put up with the bulk as I know I will get the quality I want.

SMC M 50 1.7, SMC M 135 3.5, SMC A 200 4, SMC M 80-200 f4.5 and SMC A 28-85 (this is the exception-very loose construction). Also have DA 18-55 & 50-200 but the other half uses these as she is new to the habit.
09-07-2007, 07:29 AM   #7

I have one of these, they are cheap, work well and easily fit in a camera bag.

Lens extension holder support arm for digital SLR - (eBay item 160154149306 end time Sep-10-07 20:48:01 PDT)

09-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #8

Here´s another one that seems pretty smooth:

Tripod socked for SMC Pentax 300 mm 1:4 - (eBay item 230167324746 end time Sep-10-07 21:01:30 PDT)

// Mats
09-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
here's what 1 extra stop does to a 300mm. one's an A*300/4 and the taller one is a takumar300/4. the tamron is only 9''+ but you are seeing it 4'' of hood. fortunately it has a tripod mount.

09-08-2007, 02:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the info and I think another purchase is about to be made.

Roy, you have my lust after lens the A*, but that will need to be for the future as I have 2 kids at University and they are costing me an arm and a leg. That Tamron looks like a real beast, but I guess the IQ makes it all worthwhile.
09-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thanks guys for the info and I think another purchase is about to be made.

Roy, you have my lust after lens the A*, but that will need to be for the future as I have 2 kids at University and they are costing me an arm and a leg. That Tamron looks like a real beast, but I guess the IQ makes it all worthwhile.
i just sold the A* and kept the tak300 for a light weight 300mm. all of the 300/4 are great lenses. all are very sharp wide open. don't put them down.
i'm still learning the tamron.

roy
09-13-2007, 08:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
I bought one of those – they are made of black plastic! When you use the thumb screw, to lock the lens down, the whole ring deforms massively. Not exactly, what I expected! On the other hand, the construction is so easy, I will make a similar one on the lathe myself... from Aluminum, of course.

regards
Ben
09-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #13

Thanks for the heads up, Ben.

See why you´re disappointed when it was plastic. Good luck with the one from your lathe!

// Mats
09-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I bought one of those – they are made of black plastic! When you use the thumb screw, to lock the lens down, the whole ring deforms massively. Not exactly, what I expected! On the other hand, the construction is so easy, I will make a similar one on the lathe myself... from Aluminum, of course.

regards
Ben
Ben, if you are going to make one, and not just because I like the one I made, you should consider copying what I have done.

It provides positive support of the lens if you want to tip the tripod head at a right angle. The one with a thumb screw won't do this.

I formed the ring using a spray paint can. it was just the right size to get the curve I wanted. The ring needs to go just past the cemter of the lens to hold when at 90 degrees. I avoided a full ring because i saw no need.

The ring is lined with leather attached with contact cement, as is the pad under the camera. This prevents scratches.

All aluminium was available at home depot. I used 1/8 inch by 1 inch for the long strut (2 pieces laminated together with counter sunk rivits and epoxy) and 1/8 inch by 1/2 inch for the ring.

The ring fit's around the lens at the focusing distance scale, (another reason not to use a full ring it will obscure the focusing scale).

I also, for the second one I made, fabricated and perminantly attached a foot that is accepted by the Manfrotto tripod head that is on both my tripods. SInce this is a tripod mount, I saw no need to have a detachable foot for my tripod.
09-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Telephoto lens support

Thanks
Here's a link to a thread I wrote a while ago. Exact same lens, I found the lens support at Adorama for about $75 IIRC. The support works quite well, is easy to set up etc. If you have everything tightenened down hard, you will find it difficult to focus, what I do is pre focus to get in the range, and then mount the lens and don't tighten the strap too hard, the sliding lens hood will allow you some leeway in fine focusing. Works for me anyway. I like the lens and hand hold it frequently.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/4522-lba-gas-o.html

NaCl(it's big but certainly hand holdable)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 09-13-2007 at 10:58 AM.