Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
trick, or treat? Sakar 28-200mm f/4?

I've won a Goodwill bid, perhaps an early Christmas present but more likely a Haloween Trick-or-Treat. Hard to say with certainty, but I'll know soon.

Submitted for your inspection: two lenses - one Canon mount, one Pentax-A. One a Kiron 28-105 (quite well thought of), one a Sakar 28-200 (a what?). Both with 67mm filters attached, and both imaged indetail up close - too close to be sure which is which! In one image the Kiron looks a bit taller, less so in the other - I can tell because one 67mm filter is a Prinz skylight, the other a Hoya UV. Lettering suggests the UV is on the Pentax, the Skylight on the Canon. Finally, a 28-200 closeup seems to show "HOY.." filter - so now (I think) the truth is out.

Well.. drat. I really had hopes that I was snagging a PK Kiron, but perhaps its condition will be valuable to a Canonite. My experience with a Tamron 28-200 wasn't great on my A200, but -
this claims to be a 28-200 f/4. Impressive with a 67mm filter size. Does anyone recognize this lens, by any name? Can't find one in the database at a fixed f/4. Online searches reveals one other: an M42 version in Argentina. Seems a bit rare to run an assembly line for 2 lenses

More sleuthing to come, and I predict some semi-rigorous testing in my future.

Let's not forget that they both might be in less than stellar condition; Goodwill looks these over with varying degrees of expertise before posting. Their images on this bid are worthy of some e-bay dealers, detailed images that fail to convey what they seem to convey
For the price I paid though, I was willing to chance which holiday is coming. Suspense and adventure, for less than $20!

--
jim in Oregon: /K-7, 16-45, 55-300 + Rikenons/

09-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update - found some shots on photobucket of this lens.
Oh my, 810g! That's one massive lens. Any clues to its origins appreciated..
06-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #3

Wanted to see how you like your Sakar 28-200 lens? I have a chance on getting one. Please let me know and any links to pix taken with the lens if you have any.
06-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's better than I expected, that's for sure. Image quality is quite good - but oh my it's heavy! Given the scale of this beast, and its 4-5.6 aperture (despite what shows on the nose), and the DA50-200wr that I already own.. it just doesn't see any use. I've tried to sell here with no luck.

180mm wide open and handheld - quite the torture. Sharpness is decent, the wires are a bit fringed though. I put my review in the pre-made Focal slot under 3rd-party/miscellaneous zooms - see https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/FOCAL-28-200mm-F4.0-5.6-Macro-for-Pentax.html

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 06-18-2011 at 09:48 AM.