Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I bought a Tamron 70-200/2.8 used here on the forum. It appeared to be in excellent condition. I did not use it too much, but a few months later I noticed a problem with the aperture sticking. Given I was not the original owner, it cost me $275 (I think) to get it repaired by Tamron, and the warranty was then only 90 days.

The good news is it has worked great since (again, I don't use it tons).

My conclusion - buy it new to get the warranty!
This is exactly I am worries about, unfortunately we do not have Tamron service center here so even if I buy new, does not help much. May be Sigma 50-150mm is a safer choice.

Great it worked out for you - let me know if you don't want to use it anymore

09-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good one is worth every cent you pay for.
If you're to get one, get it new and covered by the initial international warranty, and test it out *extensively* for the first two weeks until the problem surfaces (if you know what to look out for). If it's going to happen, it will most likely happen then. Otherwise, spotting a good used copy is just as good.
09-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had mine here for a few months so far. First copy went back because it was way too soft wide open at 200mm, but the second copy is much better. No aperture issues so far.
09-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Must be a Tamron thing.....

My first dslr lens ever was the Tamron 28-75/2.8. IQ and everything very good. I loved that lens...
Then , one day, sticky aperture.

Other Tamron lens the 18-250....
One day, sticky aperture....

09-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The common grouse of the Tamron 70-200mm is that AF can be sluggish, it is easy for dust to find its way inside the lens and the build quality could be better. But for the price and optics, it does offer good value.
09-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Ivor K Hicks: The average review score of the Tammy is not a fair score for this lens. Most of the reviews gave it a 9 or 10 rating. It's average score was appreciably lowered by one reviewer who bought one second hand, got the sticky aperture problem and only rated the lens as a 3.
I think the lens is rated about 9 - 9.5 in my opinion. If and when i write a review i would give it a 10 just to counteract that very poor and undeserved rating of 3.
Yes, the mean is unduly affected by very high or very low scores, which is why many rating systems throw out the high and low. It is not fair one person can do so much damage to a lens' reputation by putting a ridiculously low score. However, if you peruse the database you will see this is a common thing, especially in the 3rd-party ratings.

I only showed the scores to show the 2 lenses are probably comparable. Statistically speaking, the difference in scores in our database is not significant because of the small sampling size and because there is no way to know that each review is actually a real one ie., based on an actual owner's experience with the lens in question.

Bottom Line: I agree with you--my only reason for posting was Yusuf's opinion that the 2 lenses are "not in the same league."
09-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
My first dslr lens ever was the Tamron 28-75/2.8. IQ and everything very good. I loved that lens...
Then , one day, sticky aperture.

Other Tamron lens the 18-250....
One day, sticky aperture....
hmm, something seems to be going wrong in your case, probably an isolated incidence since never heard of this problem for both of these lenses