Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried this, but if tempted I'd use the silicone gasket-making material as the sealer.

I'd use a "disposable" K-mount body covered with . . . hmm? . . .

- A 'SaranWrap' -type plastic film trimmed to the mount, or

- If "disposable enough", just Vaseline lub on the body/mount face to ensure separation, and

- Cellophane tape or some such to protect the area of the electrical contacts, etc.

I'd attempt to mold a custom gasket on the periphery of the male lens/TC mounts. A trial run with junker bodies and lenses might be useful. Excess gasket could be trimmed with a razor later.

But first, I'd see if properly sized silicone or rubber O-rings rolled onto the lens and body joints after assembly would provide enough protection just through the elastic fit.

In any case, unless you can attain a compression gasket fit between two smooth surfaces you risk liquid intrusion via capillary action. For this reason, I'd be more inclined to use a weather resistant cloth cover that wicked and diverted liquid away from joints than a plastic material that could channel moisture into a joint.

Consider that if conditions are really bad, the environmental effects will negate any advantage of using a DSLR over a truly weather-proof P&S like the Pentax W-class cameras so you may just be better off to do the P&S thing for piece of mind if your DSLR isn't an "expendable" and insured working tool.

But I'm curious; I can't imagine wanting to shoot something in bad weather/snow/rain that's even viewable at a distance that a TC would be needed on a 300mm tele lens anyway? Sounds like a good time to be enjoyin' a bowl of chili an' a beer in front of the fireplace unless the pay for that shoot is really great.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 09-29-2010 at 09:50 PM.
09-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
But I'm curious; I can't imagine wanting to shoot something in bad weather/snow/rain that's even viewable at a distance that a TC would be needed on a 300mm tele lens anyway? Sounds like a good time to be enjoyin' a bowl of chili an' a beer in front of the fireplace unless the pay for that shoot is really great.
H2
The only pay is enjoyment. The last outing with my friends involved a 10 minute boat ride starting around 6:30am. Along the way it started raining and then hailing. I didn't have my camera out until we got to the island though. After that, knee deep water and trudging around or waiting for photography subjects in my case. I did cross the river at one point to look for interesting stuff to photograph. The photos I got were not that great, but it's fun so I want to continue.

If you know of some way to make money at this, please let me know!
09-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Why not just buy a 18-55mm WR lens and use the gasket out of it for the camera mount end of the TC. The gasket on the 300mm should seal the TC at that end. The only thing left would be to cover the lens lock on the TC with a bit of waterproof tape.

Thank you
Russell
10-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I found some silicone tape that should do the trick. I wrapped the TC 2 times on the lens side and I think 4 times on the camera body side. Both gave a bit of resistance when re-attaching, so I think there is a decent seal going on.

Whether it works... I'll find out tomorrow. A full day out in the elements starting at 4AM!

It's called Nashua Tape Products: Stretch and Seal, Silicone sealing tape. I found it at Home Depot for around $6 in the plumbing section.

It's a bit tough getting a uniform wrap, but I think the compression and nature of the silicone amount of pliability (it's very stretchy, the tape was wider than the TC is wide) should form a pretty decent seal.