Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Classic case of blaming the equipment. Remember this well, my friends, it will be on the exam.

10-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
well, these pics sure would convince me to get this lens
nice
thanks stanic, i am trying a lot the last days to accomplish some good results, think my girlfriend is little pissed off

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
This lens shines most brilliantly at around f-11. It's a scenic gem, best on a tripod with mirror-up function. Try putting an interesting foreground object close to the lens in your scenic shots.
yes, many of my scene shots are around f11-14. But with mirror up object havent tried yet.Thanks for tipp! As for the interesting objects, had my self and gf in but didnt want to publish it
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'd be interested in seeing comparisons if you have the time.
will come to that as well, just need to finish work early and find sun in this country, else will make in the weekend some tests comparisons

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
It is really no wonder, you are more satisfied with this second set of images: you have brilliant light with nice contrasts, which brings out the colours beautifully. Also, sharpness is heavily reliant on contrast.

Your first series was taken under dull light (= low contrast = low sharpness or accutance) and against the brighter sky. You cannot expect a compelling image under these circumstances, but exactly the results you complained about.

Ben
I suppose your right, was too fast to judge the lens by the dull light conditions, i am really more happy now. Just need to make the final comparison with the 16-45, so the topic of selling the lens and getting a 12-24 is over
10-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Classic case of blaming the equipment. Remember this well, my friends, it will be on the exam.
just trying to find the correct light and learn to use it with my equipment
10-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd be interested in seeing comparisons if you have the time.
hey audiobomber, i took today two pictures with my two lenses, unfortunately i didnt had my tripod so its not so accurate

Here the 16-45

and the 15mm

10-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the photos. They look very close, with the DA 15 showing a little more contrast. Some 100% crops would be interesting.

There's enough light that a tripod probably wouldn't matter. What were the aperture, shutter speed and ISO?
10-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

ddamski:

At first I thought your greens were blown out, which is very hard to do. Green is unlikely to blow out.

Then I looked and saw you're from Switzerland.

Now I understand.
10-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The 15 seems to have more vibrant colors to me, not a LOT more, but it is noticeable, at least to my old eyes
10-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The shots taken with the 15 also have better detail, but the thing I love most about the 15 is the way it renders. This is the first lens I've used since going digital that give me a richness of color and contrast reminiscent of Kodachrome.
To see what I mean, Google Ron Kruger and click on any link to Photoshelter, then click on Ozark Scenic. Most of these shot were taken with the 15.

10-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Some great shots there Ron, I have been to a lot of those places. Do you live down in that area? I'm near St. Louis, but my dads best friend had a place near Ironton, ( closest town is Roselle ) and I used to go down there all the time as a kid. May just make my way down that way before the weekend is over.
10-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Stratman, I live in Arcadia, Mo. This is a great area. I spend quite a bit of time around the Current River as well; it's only about an hour away. Black and St. Francis get a lot of my attention too.
Come on down this weekend. They're having a music festival on the square, and I'll probably display some of my photos at the coffee shop (Perk On The Plaza) in Ironton. Stop by and introduce yourself.
10-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Ahh, small world. I remember calling my parents from the pay phone outside of Andys restaurant to tell them I killed my first turkey back in '81, haha. Arcadia is a beautiful area. When is the next Civil War reenactment there at Pilot Knob? I would love to come down for that and take some shots. My pop also used to have some lots at Lake Killarney, but basically just gave them back to the admins there. No one really went there anymore from our family, so he just said, here, they're yours, haha. We used to eat at the Cozy Corner restaurant too, they had some awesome chicken fried steak !!

Last edited by Stratman; 10-07-2010 at 01:34 PM.
10-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The Civil War took place last week. I went there early to get some good light shots of camps and such, intending to go home and return at 1:30 for the reenactment, but I kept finding interesting subjects. Spent from 8:30 to 3 p.m. taking pics, hundreds of pics. It is such an interesting scene, the participants take it very seriously and the reenactment was a "really big shooo." I was impressed.
I'm very picky about what I keep, but I saved almost 60 shots from the day. I've posted a few of them on Pentaxworld.
It was such a photography smorgasboard, I intended to go back the next day, but bad weather moved in. I think any photographer would love this reenactment.
10-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the photos. They look very close, with the DA 15 showing a little more contrast. Some 100% crops would be interesting.

There's enough light that a tripod probably wouldn't matter. What were the aperture, shutter speed and ISO?
ok i posted the crops..here you can see that the picture from the 15mm is little shaked thats why the comparison is not quite precise.

aperture:F/11
iso 100
speed:1/50with 16-45 and 1/60 with 15mm

the first image is from the 15mm and the second from the 16-45
Attached Images

08-16-2011, 03:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It would be good to see a non-shaky comparison!
08-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
It would be good to see a non-shaky comparison!
If I had these lenses I'd do a proper comparison. I wouldn't be surprised if ddamski's DA 15 is actually decentered.

Here are some ugly test shots from my copies:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100586096103361553535/Comparo?authkey=Gv1sRgCLOD9LjmoOKTlAE#

To see full size, click on the photo, then the magnifying glass, then move the slider in the bottom corner to the right. No tripod, but speeds were ~1/200s.

There's also a couple of DA 18-135mm shots, with and without polarizer.