Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
touche

Note my closing remark of post 8.
"I would not build a kit like this, but that is another story. I still think you need to cover as wide a range of focal lenghts as possible unless your photographic needs are so narrowly defined that you can do it all working between 35 and 105mm"

It is his choice. And while some people are really sure of what they need and don't, if he was really that sure, he would not be asking should he sell the lenses.

Having said that. He has all the options and issues in front of him, and it's time for him to step up and decide what he wants to do.
Yep, I saw it.. Not arguing with anyone here, just pointing things out. I'm probably the wrong one to be giving advice and thrifty lens spending anyway. I buy whatever speaks to me on any given day. The next day, I'll resell it because I don't speak the language. That said, the 35-105 would be the last of that list I would sell. It's a very versatile lens IMO and If I had to give up ALL of my manual lenses but one, that would be the one I would keep (after they pried my fast fifties out of my cold dead hands)..

09-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #17

Original Poster
Well, thanks for all your replies so far. That was some reading and has been very helpful. I agree that several of my lenses cover the same FL (or at least they overlap), but I do tend to think that the each serves a different purpose. I have found the A35-105 is excellent at city scapes and gives a beautiful 3D effect, whilst the A50 is great at indoor portraits, and the F70-210 has proved to be the big surprise for me, providing some nice shots of wildlife and some great family pics too, great versatility, although I suspect the K7 plays a big part in this too.

Just to add a bit more info (and by the way I think I should perhaps stick with what I have for now) I have three young kids so family portaits are quite common, also some AF ability is a must (for those of you that have kids will know what I mean).

Here's a flickr link, it'll give an idea of where I'm at.

Flickr: Chillibones' Photostream
09-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Who is the Canon shooter? Your wife? I notice a few Russian lenses in there after browsing several pages back and I'm left wondering, what, other than AF, you think the DA70 is going to add for you? In my experience with kiddie shots, there are several types.

Stay still and pose (K20d DA*16-50)

Stop Action followed by "Let Me See!" (K20d FA31 Ltd)

The rather Silly pose (K20d FA77 Ltd)

The I'm going to show this to your 14 year old boyfriend when you get older (K10d Sigma 17-70)

The portrait(ish) pose (K20d FA77 Ltd)

Candid Concentration (K7 DA12-24)

Group Anticipation (K7 DA12-24)

The last two were taken at one of those pizza party joints and it absolutely sucks for taking photos. Don't know if you have them where you are. It's the type of place where you pay too much for a greasy pizza, there is no waiter service. It is filled with arcade cames that kids pump dollars into to win pennies worth of prizes. Purple walls, no real ceiling, shitty mixed lighting, argh! I'm not yet experienced at handling this particular setting (and probably won't get the chance as their parents say this was the last time there (thank God!)). However, it is that type of situation you'll want some sort of wide angle. These Are all AF setups but I doubt any of them are anything you couldn't capture with your current setup. I am all for spending your money, Just a little more to think about.

09-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Considering what you're selling off & what you're keeping, I bet you'll absolutely love the DA70. One of the best lenses I've used - I still miss mine quite fiercely! It's one of those lenses that I'll re-purchase as soon as I possibly can

10-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #20

Original Poster
The Canon shooter was myself, it was my second DSLR (450D) before that I had an Olympus e420. The russian lenses were a carryover from my rangefinder days, I loved the russian lenses, so when I switched to digital I purchased some soviet lenses to use with the Canon, but when I purchased the Pentax I actually found it too much hassle to keep taking the adapter on and off the camera so I decided to sell them.

The A100 2.8 arrived this afternoon, and it seems like an excellent lens, its in like new condition with a pentax case in similar condition and I can't believe the size of it, its a very similar size to the A50 1.7, works very nicely with the K7.

Maybe this is what I need and I'll leave the DA70 for the future.
10-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter

That was going to be my advice, reading through the rest of the thread. Shoot with the A 100mm for a while, and see if it works for you. If it does, probably no need for the DA70. If not, maybe that should go.
10-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you that replied.

I've decided to stick with what I've got and explore their capabilities, and then I'll reassess which way to go.
10-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chillibones Quote
Thanks to all of you that replied.

I've decided to stick with what I've got and explore their capabilities, and then I'll reassess which way to go.

Probably a good call.

Many times I've tried to pull the trigger and part with some of my old glass but I just can't do it. I've only sold one. I've always regretted selling my M 100/2.8 to get an A 100/2.8 macro. Still miss that old M 100 from time to time. A gut can never have too many lens - right?

Tom G