Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Sigma 30mm HSM doesn't exist for Pentax correct?

Despite the fact the Lens Review Database and retailers list it? All copies are screw drive correct?

09-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I know that is correct. You can check the specs out here...it says J type for Pentax. For other brands it lists as HSM.
09-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That is correct. Pentax k-mount version is screw-drive only. Still a nice little lens and better than it gets credit for.
09-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I chose the fa 31mm limited over this lens based on a lot of reviews and detail on these forums. Specifically the resolution and the bokeh seem superior on the fa. The sigma seems to underperform in these areas and is only a half stop faster.

10-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sigma 30/1.4 or FA31

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I chose the fa 31mm limited over this lens based on a lot of reviews and detail on these forums. Specifically the resolution and the bokeh seem superior on the fa. The sigma seems to underperform in these areas and is only a half stop faster.
If I had the dough I'd be tempted by the FA31 too - of course I would. Still, at something like 1/3 the price I think the Sigma is a good offer, screwdrive or not. Its weakness is corner sharpness, but that's usually not important when shooting at wide apertures. And that's what you do with a f1.4 lens.

Actually, I guess I do have the dough for the FA31, but I don't think I'm skilled enough to appreciate its qualities. So I'm getting a used FA35/2 instead.

Regards
--Anders.
10-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Despite the fact the Lens Review Database and retailers list it? All copies are screw drive correct?
Correct, only screwdrive for Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Do you think anybody cares in this topic what lens you purchased? Btw center resolution of the Sigma is better, bokeh is subjective and there's nothing wrong with the Sigma's bokeh. Oh, and I shot both lens, so my opinion is not based on what random guys wrote on the internet.
10-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Do you think anybody cares in this topic what lens you purchased? Btw center resolution of the Sigma is better, bokeh is subjective and there's nothing wrong with the Sigma's bokeh. Oh, and I shot both lens, so my opinion is not based on what random guys wrote on the internet.
Well, there is this guy who appears to put these lenses through substantial tests: Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4 EX DC (Pentax K) Review / Test Report

His conclusion:
QuoteOriginally posted by photozone:
A quite strange design priority but there're applications for this. This is a pretty interesting lens if you want to isolate a (near-centered) object from the rest of the scene using an ultra-large aperture setting. The quality of the bokeh (out-of-focus blur) depends somewhat on the background/foreground structure - it can look "smeary" close to the image borders if the scene is a bit nervous. This is probably a side effect of the low resolution here. In coarse structured scenes the bokeh can be quite smooth and buttery though.

Can you use this lens for general purpose photography ? Well, naturally you can but at comparable apertures any good standard zooms can produce a more even resolution distribution across the frame specifically in the extreme corners.

So did it beat the real thing (Pentax SMC FA 31mm f/1.9 Limited) ? No, it did not.
is quite clearly biased in the direction of optical perfection.

There's also the numerous examples on the internet of triangle highlight bokeh, especially in the corners. Subjective? Sure. Bizarre? Definitely.

But then what do I know? I've never shot with the Sigma 30/1.4 because all the research this random guy (me) did strongly suggested that in this case, you get what you pay for.