Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #106
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
The focus shift problem is not about performance stopped down. If you are having out of focus images at f2 or f2.8 it could very well be because the plane of focus has shifted away from the camera

For example, if you focus on a subject's eyes wide open (as you will always be doing unless you stop down) they might be perfectly in focus. However, if when you take the shot the lens stops down to f2 the plane of sharp focus might move away from where it was at f1.4. This means the eyes are no longer in focus--even though you nailed the focus wide open.

This is the problem focus shift creates.

However, if you're having trouble focusing when shooting wide-open, then that's another matter.
Thanks for the elaboration!

I'll check it out for this lens when I want to stop down I'm used to using preset lenses.

I've also heard about problems with the Samyang 85:1.4's aperture sticking in the stopped down position - I realize that that might be a serious problem if I ever stopped down.

I guess my point is that it is valuable to know the limitations of a lens but one should carefully weigh the limitations against one's needs and to factor them in during use. For me the lens' speed was the selling factor - I gambled on its sharpness wide open and am satisfied.

09-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #107

have the same dilemna as with the op, caught up between these 2 lenses and still can't decide which lens to get...
here's my situation and requirements
1) need an 85mm mostly for portrait and low light ( have 70 but too short and tested 90/100mm too long)
2) sharper wide open is better
3) greater bokeh and rendering / 3d / pixie dust / etc
4) easier to focus but not so important as i like to manual focus (owned as much as 25 lenses only 3 are AF)
5) weight can be an issue
now m85 at 250us
rokinon at 310us and
brand new polar at 370us
which way to go?
09-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #108
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A seldom mentioned benefit of the Samyang lens is that it has superb color transmission. See: Colour rendering in binoculars and lenses - Colours and transmission - Lenstip.com (a good article about coatings).

Dave in Iowa
09-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I chose the Samyang 85/1.4 for several reasons:
- reports that it is sharp from 1.4 where the M85 is not sharp at 2
- newer coatings
- all reports are of excellent color rendering (which is true BTW)
- 1.4 vs 2
- Size/weight did not matter to me on a portrait lens

I'm very happy with it. The most amazing portraits of my children have come from this lens. It's a REAL pain to focus <f2.8 but when you hit it - Wow! This lens is the main reason I look at focusing screens.......

09-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
have the same dilemna as with the op, caught up between these 2 lenses and still can't decide which lens to get...
here's my situation and requirements
1) need an 85mm mostly for portrait and low light ( have 70 but too short and tested 90/100mm too long)
2) sharper wide open is better
3) greater bokeh and rendering / 3d / pixie dust / etc
4) easier to focus but not so important as i like to manual focus (owned as much as 25 lenses only 3 are AF)
5) weight can be an issue
now m85 at 250us
rokinon at 310us and
brand new polar at 370us
which way to go?
I had both so I can help you out in figuring what you might prefer.

1.> both are good at lowlight although the Samyang has about 1 stop advantage if that matters to you. but if you have the K-5, I don't think you will have some issues.

2.> the Samyang is already sharp at f1.4 the M85 is also sharp but there might be a few copies that are soft at wide open as mentioned by a few users. I'm not sure though what is causing them nor did I pay any attention to such problem as mine was sharp at wide open.

3.> surprisingly, both have really good bokeh and rendering. although I like the results on the M85 better. despite the blue fringing on the M85, I find it's color more attractively vibrant. the Samyang has a neutral color btw.

4.> the M85 is easier to focus because it is small and light and has a shorter throw. also it has a shorter minimum focus distance which I find more flexible to compose.

5.> this would be the dealbreaker, there is no contest that the M85 wins in terms of weight by a mile. the Samyang is significantly heavy.
09-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #111

Thanks newarts,
i am really more inclined on the samyang and clone lens but am making sure that i wouldn't miss something in the M85 either...

Thanks Dcrwm,
i've seen a lot of wide open samples for this lens (sharp wide open with lovely bokeh) that's why i'm about to ditch my DA70 to get this then i saw the M85 (hence this comparison inquiry)...
Do you have link to your gallery please?

Thanks Pentaxor,
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I had both so I can help you out in figuring what you might prefer.

1.> both are good at lowlight although the Samyang has about 1 stop advantage if that matters to you. but if you have the K-5, I don't think you will have some issues.

2.> the Samyang is already sharp at f1.4 the M85 is also sharp but there might be a few copies that are soft at wide open as mentioned by a few users. I'm not sure though what is causing them nor did I pay any attention to such problem as mine was sharp at wide open.

3.> surprisingly, both have really good bokeh and rendering. although I like the results on the M85 better. despite the blue fringing on the M85, I find it's color more attractively vibrant. the Samyang has a neutral color btw.

4.> the M85 is easier to focus because it is small and light and has a shorter throw. also it has a shorter minimum focus distance which I find more flexible to compose.

5.> this would be the dealbreaker, there is no contest that the M85 wins in terms of weight by a mile. the Samyang is significantly heavy.
If you only have to choose 1 of these lenses, which 1 would you keep and why? (any links to a gallery for these 2 lenses?)