Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 vs SMC Pentax-M 85mm F2, which one to choose?

Hello,

I'm looking for a 85mm lens. I don't mind for it to be manual but I only have $250 to spend including shipping.

I just missed by a few minutes to buy the SMC Pentax-M 85mm F2 from eBay at that price. I have looked around and for that price I could get a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4.

Can anyone help me with the decision? Is it better to wait to find a Pentax M 85 or can I go now with the Rokinon?

Thank you for your help,
Yael

10-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this really belongs in the lens forum, but you should look up references to Samyang, vivitar, bower, pro optic, et. al

they are all samyang lenses rebadged. the only change to all but the vivitar is the name plate details, the vivitar has different cosmetics to keep in line with the old series 1 product.

there are also some great lens reviews of this lens against many others.

I can't comment on the SMC-M 85/2, but I have also the supertak 85/1.9 and the vivitar holds up very well indeed. it is very sharp below F2.5 and the speed makes it a pleasure to use.
10-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the comment. I've seen the SuperTak 85/1.9 and if you say that the Samyang 85 (and the other brand) is similar, that sounds good.

Does anyone has a Pentax M 85 would could give me his point of vue?

Admin: sorry about being in wrong forum, please move this post to the Lens forum.
10-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you need the focal length, than get whats available

Both are fantastic lenses according to just about everyone on the forum so you can't really go wrong with either.

I went with the M 85mm and haven't looked back whatsoever. Its a lens I have a very special relationship with I may not shoot it nearly as much, but I do get a big smile when ever I pick it up

some food for thought:

I'll leave it at that If you want to see more click the flickr link in my signature, click lenses on the right, and click the M 85mm folder

10-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Love your shots! Especially the first one.

At first I was looking only at Pentax lens and found out first the price I wanted the M was the best way to go, but it's so hard to fine.

The Rokinon (and others) look great too, but I (maybe it's just me) feels like they are cheap because of their brand name. Which is pretty stupid, I know that! Maybe I need some encouragement for buying a Riknon, Bower or Samyang.
10-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
The Rokinon (and others) look great too, but I (maybe it's just me) feels like they are cheap because of their brand name. Which is pretty stupid, I know that! Maybe I need some encouragement for buying a Riknon, Bower or Samyang.
They're less expensive, not cheap. They're very well built - you won't be disappointed.
10-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vivitar 85 F1.4

here are a few samples

this is F2.2 if memory serves me correctly

100% crop from this shot

10-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have seen those shots before, thank you.
I might wait until next week to see if anyway as a Pentax M 85 to sale (I also posted something in the Wanted section). If not, I will go with the Rokinon which is the cheapest among all of its brother.
10-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have seen those shots before, thank you.
I might wait until next week to see if anyway as a Pentax M 85 to sale (I also posted something in the Wanted section). If not, I will go with the Rokinon which is the cheapest among all of its brother.
good luck on your quest.

BTW a takumar 85F1.8 went on e-bay yesterday for $181.

It was an old version with the aperture ring at the front of the lens, but was not a preset.
10-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the M85 for a while.
I found it not that good. It is a relatively simple 5-element construction and the color correction is not so good.
Its advantage is the very small size. It almost looks like a 50mm lens.

I am sure that the Samyang/Rokinon is better optically. I had is only for a very short time, but found it quite good.

So, in my opinion it's size vs. optics.
10-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I had bad experience with Rokinon but it's just me and overall I heard good reviews. Anyway, I yet to see super sharp pictures from this lens and whatever I saw so far, fell slightly below my expectations. Having said this, I still want to try one more copy, trying to get luckier

Recently I purchased M85/2 and loving it. Bokeh is awesome and comparable to FA77. It is sharp wide-open and tack sharp starting f2.8. The only downside is CA in the difficult lighting situation (only when wide-open) but I guess that's manageable and common in similar lenses.

M85@f2

Also, have you considered Jupiter-9, though it's hard to find a good copy, if you find one, it's an awesome lens too (my copy is beautifully sharp). Another advantage of Jupiter-9 is closure focus distance compared to M85. Personally I noticed that colors are more pleasing from J-9.

Jupiter-9 shot @f2

Last edited by yusuf; 10-02-2010 at 04:32 AM.
10-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My take: both lenses look really nice... IQ wise I can't really see much difference.

I don't think the difference between 1.4 and 2.0 will be a big deal in most shooting situations, as at that focal length, you will always want to stop the 1.4 down to keep you DOF in check.

The rokinon has an A setting, and that would be a very nice thing to have. Having access to AV mode can really speed up the shooting process (especially since you will be focused on composition and focus in street/spontaneous situations).
10-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry Yusuf you had a bad Rokinon, I know there is some Jupiter-9 85mm on Ebay and with a M42 to K mount adapter it should cost me less than $200. Plus I like close up pictures so that will be good. But you talk about a good copy, how do you know if it's a good copy before you buy it?

Thank you all for your input.
10-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Sorry Yusuf you had a bad Rokinon, I know there is some Jupiter-9 85mm on Ebay and with a M42 to K mount adapter it should cost me less than $200. Plus I like close up pictures so that will be good. But you talk about a good copy, how do you know if it's a good copy before you buy it?

Thank you all for your input.
There are lots of variation and earlier copy I owned wasn't sharp at all at f2. Honestly, one wouldn't know till you use that particular copy. However, as I read in another forum that copies around 1991 are not so good - mine is 195x one. Google for "So which Jupiter-9 is best? Old/New?"

Yusuf
10-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks yusuf, I have looked around and it seems like the Jupiter's are more of a gamble than anything else. So I'm going to let that option go, I don't have the money to gamble and try buying different ones.

I guess I'm back between the Rokinon and the Pentax M 85.