(taken with the M 85mm @ F/2)

I own 2 of the original M 85mm hoods but this works much better
not even the authentic M85 hood. fail.

03-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
not even the authentic M85 hood. fail.
Ive got two of the authentic purpose made m 85mm hoods... but since they are shot on my k7 I can use a bigger hood (as you know). Plus it looks real nice with the hood attached
03-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #93
Pentaxian

I got an M85 hood with my M 100, as it serves for both. I use it for all my M lenses, even down to 28mm with no vignetting. It looks much nicer than a rubber hood.
03-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #94
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So you have one hood for all 28, 50 and 85mm.
How tall is your hood? I could maybe find out who will do the same.

03-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
So you have one hood for all 28, 50 and 85mm.
How tall is your hood? I could maybe find out who will do the same.
It's only about 4cm in length, obviously if it works ok for the 28, it's not ideal for the 50 or the 85, but it's light coming in from wider angles that causes most problems, so it's got that covered.
06-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #96

I have the Rokinon 85mm f1.4. When I get a shot that is in focus, it is quite nice...but my batting average for in-focus shots is not so good....even stopped down to 2.8.
At first, I thought it was just me, as I did not have much experience with manual focus. But then, just for kicks, I picked up a JC Penney 135mm f2.5 on ebay for almost nothing. This has a much longer "throw", and that makes a huge difference, at least for me -- I get a focused shot almost every time...it is *so* much easier.

So then after reading up, I see that most of the old Pentax lenses seem to have very nice focus rings with long throw. I've just ordered a Super Takumar 85mm f1.9. I'll see how that goes, but if it works as I hope, I'll probably sell my Rokinon.
06-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #97
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Thank you Pentaxor for the great sum up.
I'm looking for a lens for portrait, so the bokeh is important.
If I could I would get the M85, but it's hard to find....?
Rokinon 85 @1.4 hand held jpg out of the camera - crop 100% note smooth bokeh.

06-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #98
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks... know that I have my M85, I'm selling it... really nice lens but I switched brand. Nothing against Pentax at all, all my friends have higher models of Nikon (I have a K100D Super and they have D80 and D300) so I went and switch to Nikon as well with a D90 since I wanted a more advance camera. Could have gotten the k7 or K5 but wanted to share lens en flash with my friends.

Good memories with Pentax and I will still recommend them! That K5 silver edition looks so great!
06-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks... know that I have my M85, I'm selling it... really nice lens but I switched brand. Nothing against Pentax at all, all my friends have higher models of Nikon (I have a K100D Super and they have D80 and D300) so I went and switch to Nikon as well with a D90 since I wanted a more advance camera.
you should had gotten a D7000 instead if you wanted a more advanced system, or a D700 if it doesn't break the bank for you.
06-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #100
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the D7000 was going to break the budget, I had to go with the D90.
06-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #101
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let me know when you plan to sell your Rockinon. Would like to try one more copy.

QuoteOriginally posted by victorshoup Quote
I have the Rokinon 85mm f1.4. When I get a shot that is in focus, it is quite nice...but my batting average for in-focus shots is not so good....even stopped down to 2.8.
At first, I thought it was just me, as I did not have much experience with manual focus. But then, just for kicks, I picked up a JC Penney 135mm f2.5 on ebay for almost nothing. This has a much longer "throw", and that makes a huge difference, at least for me -- I get a focused shot almost every time...it is *so* much easier.

So then after reading up, I see that most of the old Pentax lenses seem to have very nice focus rings with long throw. I've just ordered a Super Takumar 85mm f1.9. I'll see how that goes, but if it works as I hope, I'll probably sell my Rokinon.
06-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #102

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before you give up on the Rokinon, give focusing through live view a chance. Much better results in terms of nailing focus vs the viewfinder. I have a distinct tendancy to end up front focusing anything f/2 and wider otherwise. I have a fa* 85mm, and I still have held on to a copy of this lens. It's that good of a value.
QuoteOriginally posted by victorshoup Quote

06-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two comments on the M85 vs the Rokinon 85.

I have owned an M85 for more than 25 years. It has travelled around the world with me, and his served me well. However.... it is not all that sharp at f2. Having said this, I would mention that I have seen other examples of the M85 that were tack sharp wide open. I think that this is simply a case of 'sample variation'. Some examples are (probably because of assembly) just better than others.

The great virtue of the M85mm, though, is its size. It is, in this respect, the perfect lens (at least for me). Though not the sharpest kid on the block, I will not sell mine--ever.

As for the Rokinon, I have not used this lens. But I have heard good things about it from experienced photographers. And what I am told about it is that--despite its construction--it suffers from uncorrected spherical aberation and hence 'focus shift'.

My Zeiss 85mm f1.4 suffers from this too (as do some high speed Leica lenses). So this is not something that is restricted to 'budget lenses'.

The point, though, is this. A proper evaluation of the Rokinon requires that you understand this phenomenon. I think that a proper evaluation requires that you focus *stopped down* at f2, f2.8, and probably f4. A failure to do so (especially when close focusing) might lead to some inaccurate estimates of the len's capabilities.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
06-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #104
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote

The point, though, is this. A proper evaluation of the Rokinon requires that you understand this phenomenon. I think that a proper evaluation requires that you focus *stopped down* at f2, f2.8, and probably f4. A failure to do so (especially when close focusing) might lead to some inaccurate estimates of the len's capabilities.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Good point.. But for me the lens' performance stopped down was not much of an issue - I bought it to use in low light conditions & still have no idea of how it performs stopped down.
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The focus shift problem is not about performance stopped down. If you are having out of focus images at f2 or f2.8 it could very well be because the plane of focus has shifted away from the camera

For example, if you focus on a subject's eyes wide open (as you will always be doing unless you stop down) they might be perfectly in focus. However, if when you take the shot the lens stops down to f2 the plane of sharp focus might move away from where it was at f1.4. This means the eyes are no longer in focus--even though you nailed the focus wide open.

This is the problem focus shift creates.

However, if you're having trouble focusing when shooting wide-open, then that's another matter.