Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #1

Sears Manual Lenses - Input?

I was able to pick up two mint sears lenses dirt cheap, both manual lenses.

28mm f2.8 & 135mm f2.8 (k-mount)

Hard to find a review on these things since they're so old, but does anyone have experience with them and can offer their input as to how they rank? Just curious if they are a decent lens.

(My current lenses are the kit lens 18-55mm and a quantaray 70-300mm. I've had several people tell me the kit lens is crap quality. I just wonder how the sears lenses rank next to the kit lens.)

10-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mishmatta Quote
sears lenses . . . 28mm f2.8 & 135mm f2.8 (k-mount)

( I've had several people tell me the kit lens is crap quality. I just wonder how the sears lenses rank next to the kit lens.)
I believe you'd be best served by using your lenses and determining for yourself if they meet your needs rather than relying on the somewhat controversial opinions of others. There are thousands of images from both the Sears and kit lenses on the web if you search for them by name in the various photo display sites.

Try this as well: Sears Lens Club

IME, the Sears lenses, like Vivitar's or ProMasters, are re-branded optics from major manufacturers (including Asahi and Ricoh among others) and excellent bargains - often comparing well with the comparable Pentax lenses of the same era.

Here's an example from a Sears (Ricoh) 28mm/F2.8 macro I converted from Minolta to PK mount. It serves my purposes quite well.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 10-01-2010 at 01:15 PM.
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Be carefull. If they have the P (A) setting on the aperture ring then they have the dread Ricoh pin and may get stuck.
10-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Search a bit within this discussion section and you will find the Sears Lens Club which is filled with images and short discussions on Sears lenses.
I myself have a 28mm f2.8 and it simply will not meter properly using the stop down Green Button on either my K10 or K-7. The lens has very interesting qualities in what is out of focus; especially when in close focus macro. Aside from that I may end up giving mine away ultimately. It really is losing it's appeal to me.

10-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
I did check out the sears lens club thread - more images than reviews actually. I'd like a sharp lens, at bargain prices. ha.

But so far, I'm happy with them - they're great in low light!!!
10-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mishmatta Quote
I'd like a sharp lens, at bargain prices. ha.
That's an attainable goal.

Hire an otherwise unemployable kid to follow ya around and whap ya up side o' the head with your tripod any time you attempt to make a picture with too slow a shutter speed or without checkin' that you (or your AF system) actually focused on what you intended to be sharp.

It's amazing how ALL of your existing lenses suddenly become much sharper. And the effect increases exponentially with increasing focal length too.

H2
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are at least two different 135mm f2.8 sears k mount lenses. One of them has an "A" setting on the aperture ring. Do not mount this lens on your camera before removing the Ricoh pin. Once removed however, it is a wonderful lens, with some very interesting qualities!

This is a thread describing the above lens.

The other sears 135 that I am aware of (and own) is the one with the built in sliding hood. It is also very good for the money, but not quite as good wide open as the one with the A setting.
10-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #8

I don't know anything about Sears 28mm lenses. However, I have a 135mm with the A setting; when I purchased the lens I was ignorant about the Ricoh pin. I was lucky, though: the pin did not stick the Sears to my K200D when I mounted the lens, and a simple purchase of precision screwdrivers and a search on google were all I needed to remove the pin and have the lens in full working order. I haven't made much use yet of the 'macro' setting ring (down to 1:4; not real macro), but I am pleased with the lens as a crop-adjusted 200mm telephoto at a reasonable price; it also works fine with my Pentax 1.7x AF TC.