Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is the new DA 35mm AL a ff lens?

According to September 18th issue of Amateur Photographer yes. At APNews they had a brief presentation of Kr and the new DA 35mm f/2.4 AL.
From the article:
" Pentax is set to add a new 35mm fixed-focal-length lens to its line-up with the introduction of a smc Pentax-DA 35mm f/2.4 AL lens that will be suitable for both APS-C and full frame film and digital cameras."
Amateur Photographer is a reliable magazine so i think this is true. Interesting, what do you think?

10-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Forum Member

I guess you mean this one:

Pentax releases inexpensive DA 35mm 1:2.4 prime: Digital Photography Review

It's really inexpensive compared to other "primes". I might even think about buying one!
10-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
I know the lens i am talking about, the thing i did not knew is that it is a FF lens.
10-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gdog Quote
I know the lens i am talking about, the thing i did not knew is that it is a FF lens.
When model is depicted with only one focal lenght value (in this case - 35mm), that means the lens is FF.

10-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
When model is depicted with only one focal lenght value (in this case - 35mm), that means the lens is FF.
Um, no, that means it is a prime lens.
10-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Excuse me if i did not make my self clear with FF i mean full frame not fixed focal.
10-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a DA lens. That means it is not a FF lens. If it was full frame it would be a D FA.

10-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Doesn't matter what Amateur Photographer said, all that matters is what Pentax said.

They are branding the lens a DA lens (meaning Digital only). As boriscleto said, if it were suitable for full-frame digital it would be branded D FA (Digital and Film).
10-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
Well this is the title of the article " Pentax optic to fit APS-C and full frame" Amateur Photographer is one of the oldest and more reliable magazine in Great Britain so i think they do know what they are talking about.
10-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well DA*300 DA*60-250 and DA*200 are full frame lenses but they are DA not DFA.
10-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a full frame lens, by all accounts patterned off of the widely praised FA 35 f2. Until falconeye or someone else has tried to shoot it on film, we can't be certain, but I would say that it would cover full frame without problem.

All this doesn't really matter since Pentax isn't planning full frame digital in the near future.
10-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Well this is the title of the article " Pentax optic to fit APS-C and full frame" Amateur Photographer is one of the oldest and more reliable magazine in Great Britain so i think they do know what they are talking about.
The New York Times gets stuff wrong, too. They're one of the oldest and most reliable newspapers in the USA.

And regarding your post directly following this one, some of the DA* lenses do cover full frame; you're right. That doesn't make them full frame lenses.

There are 4x5 lenses that can cover 5x7, sometimes even 8x10, but they're not made for those formats. They're still 4x5 lenses.

Trazodone, an antidepressant, is much less effective as an antidepressant than newer drugs. But it's very useful as a sedative, so most prescriptions for it are to help people sleep. It's still an antidepressant, but it has other qualities that help some people.

All of this is called "off label" use. Not a bad thing, but it's wrong to say a DA Lens is full frame when by definition it isn't.
10-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
The New York Times gets stuff wrong, too. They're one of the oldest and most reliable newspapers in the USA.

And regarding your post directly following this one, some of the DA* lenses do cover full frame; you're right. That doesn't make them full frame lenses.

There are 4x5 lenses that can cover 5x7, sometimes even 8x10, but they're not made for those formats. They're still 4x5 lenses.

Trazodone, an antidepressant, is much less effective as an antidepressant than newer drugs. But it's very useful as a sedative, so most prescriptions for it are to help people sleep. It's still an antidepressant, but it has other qualities that help some people.

All of this is called "off label" use. Not a bad thing, but it's wrong to say a DA Lens is full frame when by definition it isn't.
You do have a strong point but a label "DA, DFA, FA" does not tell us always the truth. If DA 35 AL uses the same optical formula with the FA 35 then propably it is a full frame lens.
10-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You do have a strong point but a label "DA, DFA, FA" does not tell us always the truth. If DA 35 AL uses the same optical formula with the FA 35 then propably it is a full frame lens.
There is no evidence that it uses the same optical formula as the FA 35. Pentax says it was designed specifically for DSLRs.

smc PENTAX DA L 35mm F2.4 AL - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
10-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #15

Original Poster
Then we wait for someone to test it. Falconeye maybe.