Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
40 vs 43?
If 40 would be f2 it would be better lens technically than 43 but the FA has little something that DA just lacks... And I can't exactly put my finger on it...
simple. f2 aperture.

10-05-2010, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

40 vs 43?
If 40 would be f2 it would be better lens technically than 43 but the FA has little something that DA just lacks... And I can't exactly put my finger on it...
You answered your own question mate, its the aperture ring you cant put your finger on beacuse its not there on the DA!
10-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh the temptation!

Pentaxor, go for both! You won't regret. 43 will stay at bay everytime you take your 50ish option along as 31 pairs up much easier. But as small, portable one lens line up 43 is very hard to beat
I know you're thinking about it Pentaxor! It only took about a week to sell off both my F50/1.7 and FA35, which perfectly paid for a brand-new FA43 from B&H...So far it has not disappointed! The build is so much better than either of those two, sharp from wide open, and MF is sooo nice. Like Axl says, you won't regret!
10-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Best lens ive used so far..

10-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
I know you're thinking about it Pentaxor! It only took about a week to sell off both my F50/1.7 and FA35, which perfectly paid for a brand-new FA43 from B&H...So far it has not disappointed! The build is so much better than either of those two, sharp from wide open, and MF is sooo nice. Like Axl says, you won't regret!
what worries me a lot is the focal length. 35mm was just about right for 3/4 shots for close-ups or under tight spaces. I'm sure the IQ of the 43 will be great and the build and MF as well. if the FA31 was only selling for $1,500, that would had made my decision much easier.

getting both would just be great, but I just can't seem to justify or afford having both, especially I'm saving up for another priority lens (85mm) and another body. if I weren't only saving for those two, I might have considered it by now.
10-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Ah...understandable. I upgraded from the K10D, to the K20D, but skipped the K7; however the K5 has pushed my buttons and saving up for that is going to be a priority for now, as well.
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Ah...understandable. I upgraded from the K10D, to the K20D, but skipped the K7; however the K5 has pushed my buttons and saving up for that is going to be a priority for now, as well.
yeah, difficult isn't it? aside from that, I'm also considering or would it be worth it to sell my macros (70,90,90,100) for the Sigma 150/2.8 macro for Full-Frame use or would it be better if to use the shorter macros with a TC? I haven't seen how my macros would perform with a TC on them and I'm still waiting for my TC to arrive to give it a try and see if they would be enough (IQ rendering and focal length distance). I wanted more distance when shooting macros now.

anyway, have you tried using your 100 Macro with the TC?

10-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #38
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
simple. f2 aperture.
it's not about the aperture.
The rendition of the FA43 is just different. It kind of feels more cosy, or warmer, yet not too yellow... DA40 is more of a brute IMO. True to life contrast and colours but that's it. Very cold ....
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #39
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pixie dust, X-factor, call it what you will - there definitely is a distinct difference between the 43 and the 40 or any of the fast fifties that cannot be quantified. I believe the same concept exists between the other FA ltds and their non ltd equivalents.

Simply enigmatic.
10-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #40
Veteran Member

it's not about the aperture.
The rendition of the FA43 is just different. It kind of feels more cosy, or warmer, yet not too yellow... DA40 is more of a brute IMO. True to life contrast and colours but that's it. Very cold ....
having said that, did you remember that Pentax said that the DA LTDs are optimized for their APS-C dslrs? I believe that could be the reason why the colors of the DA LTDs are richer.
10-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #41
axl
Veteran Member

having said that, did you remember that Pentax said that the DA LTDs are optimized for their APS-C dslrs? I believe that could be the reason why the colors of the DA LTDs are richer.
yes, but to my eye the DA colours are tad less pleasing...I like the warmish glow of FA ltds...
10-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

anyway, have you tried using your 100 Macro with the TC?
Uh, yea I actually messed around with it a bit but since the camera doesn't "recognize" the TC, there's no way I could go back and find any given photo in my files with LightRoom (maybe I should've used keywords for it at least), unless I specifically remembered the shots. Nothing I worked on seriously but as I recall the IQ was still pretty good. Sorry Pentaxor! I'd shoot some samples for you but I haven't had a lot of spare time for photography, period, lately.
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #43
Veteran Member

yes, but to my eye the DA colours are tad less pleasing...I like the warmish glow of FA ltds...
+1 to this.
The DA range may have better contrast but imo just can't match the color rendition from the FA lenses.
The FA 43mm Limited is a lens with a split personality... simply a different animal when used at the wider apertures and altogether different when stopped down.
It is just that much better than the DA 40mm Limited imo.

Last edited by creampuff; 10-06-2010 at 08:23 AM.
10-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #44
TKH
Veteran Member

...I like the warmish glow of FA ltds...

Rainer
10-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #45
axl
Veteran Member

now this is exactly what I was talking about!
But I have to say that this colour tones seem to be available on other FA glass, not just FA ltds.
I had FA100macro, which had excellent colours (to my eye) very similar to the FA ltds and now I have FA*24 which pretty much the same too....it seems that the coatings used for FA generation were pretty much the same, and in one word terrific