Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Must-Have Lens List

I was thinking we needed a list of must-have lenses for this forum. Lenses that every Pentaxian should at some point experience or add to their collection as a part of the LBA that we all undoubtedly have at this point. So lets make a list!

Add the name and a couple of your best photos taken with the lens, it doesn't need to be Pentax, just a good lens in general that works on Pentax's mount or M42.

I currently don't have much besides the kit lens, so someone else will need to start us off...

10-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll add these two: SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm F1.4 [IF] Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
SMC Pentax-FA* 200mm F4 Macro ED [IF] Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

Almost all of my photos have been taken with that combo over the past year - so I think that speaks for itself

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Collection: Lenses

10-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe also add a bit about why they are must have's, like because of their sharpness or their color rendering, etc.

10-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax SMC FA 77mm 1:1.8 Limited is a magical lens.

Whether you must have it or not? your pick
10-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

"Must have lens" depends on the type of shooting. For landscape shooting, the DA 12-24 is de rigueur, not merely for it's border to border sharpness and its wonderful color rendition, but for its ability to get those wide shots in tight corners where zooming with one's feet is not possible (because, for example, there is a lake or a cliff or heavy brush in the way).

For nearly any style of shooting, another must have lens is any fast Pentax 50 (or 55) lens, f1.2 to 1.8. Given that the 55/1.8 or the MF version of the 50/1.7 will often sell for under $50, there's no reason not to track one down.
10-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will agree on the 50mm, I currently have a A mount 1:1.7 and it is far and away a better lens than the kit as far as sharpness goes, so long as you learn to do MF on something with that thin of a DOF.
10-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A comfortable zoom (like the Sigma 17-70)
A fast 50
A fast, small wide prime (like the DA21)
A tele zoom, depending on your tastes
A fast tele prime
A macro if you're so inclined.
A WR lens if you're so inclined.

I think that list represents the must-have kit. Then you modulate according to your shooting tastes. If you look at my sig, you'll see that's what I use

10-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I shoot all primes and am extremely pleased with my DA* 200mm f-2.8, DFA 100mm f-2.8 (more for how it renders at 100mm than for the macro and my DA 35mm macro Limited f-2.8 (expecially for macro and close ups), but the most magical and creative lens I've ever used is my DA 15mm Limited.
I have some other lenses, including some FA and M lenses, but the above are the ones I use most.
10-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
I was thinking we needed a list of must-have lenses for this forum. Lenses that every Pentaxian should at some point experience or add to their collection as a part of the LBA that we all undoubtedly have at this point. So lets make a list!
From pure LBA perspective the likes of FA 31, 43, 77 Limited lenses are high up there. Also 50/1.2 (either K or A variety). There is a lot of people who swear by their DA limited lenses, 15, 21, 35 macro, 40 and 70 mm.

Does it mean that you really ought to buy any of these lenses? Decidedly not. Everyone has their own path. Some prefer very long lenses for sports/birding/etc. Others like very fast lenses for razor thin depth of field. Others yet like very wide lenses, such as 10-17 fish eye or DA 12-24/4 zoom.

If you want to see my photos (mostly taken with A 50/1.2, but not exclusively so) you can click on the blog link in my signature.
10-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Must have my vary to huge degree according to user's needs. But I'll agree on one. The cheap 50 is a must try for any Pentaxian. Be it K55 (any version) or any of the 50/1.7 incarnations. These are truly great lenses worth having/trying. I personally owned K55/1.8, A50/1.7 and F50/1.7. If budget would not be my limit I would have kept the K & F. Even compared (IQ wise) to ltds or stars or whatevers these hold thei ground! Probably the best learner lenses and best bang for the buck lenses ever!