Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Which lens now?

I have K-x with the 2 kits lenses and a and an old manual 50mm 1.7. I love the quality of the shots I get with the 50 but I'm starting to run into some roadblocks because it is a manual focus lens: no low or high angle shots, no shooting from the hip, tough to get people if they're moving, etc.

My question is should I look for a similar lens that is AF, or expand my collection in another direction with another prime (100mm, 40mm, 20mm etc)? Price plays a very large part ($350 max, preferably 200 ish).

10-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're concerned about price but wants a quality lens, the 40mm limited pancake really gives a lot of bang for you buck! I think all the reviews speak for themselves

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'll second the DA40 suggestion. It is an extremely sharp lens with great contrast and colours.
10-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
The store here (Barcelona) has it at 415 euros ($570). From what I see around the internet that is not a very good deal. It sounds like a great lens and it's not too far off from something i know I like.

Any third party lenses?

10-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
And should I be looking only at primes? I'm a relative newbie and I just like my 50mm prime a lot, I don't know if that is a result of primes always being much better quality than zooms, or it's just because my zoom lenses happen to be the kit lenses. And while I know primes have less moving parts and therefore better IQ in general, i'm not a pixel peeper so if there is a fast zoom lens I'd be open to that too.
10-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
also keep in mind that the new dal 35mm f/2.4 will be out soon, that paired with you fast fiffty would be a good light walk around combo. Plus its going going to be pretty cheap to.
10-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

also keep in mind that the new dal 35mm f/2.4 will be out soon, that paired with you fast fiffty would be a good light walk around combo. Plus its going going to be pretty cheap too.
10-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chucuyuco Quote
The store here (Barcelona) has it at 415 euros ($570). From what I see around the internet that is not a very good deal. It sounds like a great lens and it's not too far off from something i know I like.

Any third party lenses?
Price it at bhphoto.com.

10-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes I will have to see about that new 35, I do like that the 40 is tested and true though
10-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chucuyuco Quote
I have K-x with the 2 kits lenses and a and an old manual 50mm 1.7. I love the quality of the shots I get with the 50 but I'm starting to run into some roadblocks because it is a manual focus lens: no low or high angle shots, no shooting from the hip, tough to get people if they're moving, etc.

My question is should I look for a similar lens that is AF, or expand my collection in another direction with another prime (100mm, 40mm, 20mm etc)? Price plays a very large part ($350 max, preferably 200 ish).
The image quality of the kit lens are really not that bad, in fact, it's pretty good. It depends on what you are looking for, but if you can find one available at a reasonable price, I like my Pentax FA50 f1.4. Others have sung praises for their Pentax FA50 f1.7 lenses and I'm sure that their IQ is superb. Another option would be the Pentax DA*16-50.

I have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 that I use as my everyday lens. It's IQ is very good and it stays on my camera most of the time. My subjects range from people to scenery. I like it for in-doors and out-doors as well. For me it has the focal range and the image quality to cover the majority of my needs. My other lens for in-door flash photography, especially grandchildren performing on stage or on the athletic court is the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. It doesn't get as much use as does my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 but it's my go-to-lens for capturing the grand-kids in action.
10-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
I have a 50/1.7 and it is a marvelous lens; AF, fast lens. And the colors are fantastic. Pretty much the same as your MF 50 but with AF and a good deal lighter.

Like the last poster mentioned, you might check out the tamron 17-50 or the sigma 16-50 or DA*15-50, all f2.8 lenses. There's two versions of the sigma, the constant f2.8 gets better reviews by far. Do a bit of searching there is a fantastic comparison of the 3 somewhere, I think the end result was the tammy was best at 50, the sigma best overall and at the wide end. All 3 were extremely sharp.
10-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I use my DA 40 about 75% of the time

it is really a special lens.
10-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

DA 35/2.4 . because it's new.
10-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider an extreme focal length range for your next lens. For forty years I didn't have anything wider than a 50MM. (I considered an 85mm/1.8 the perfect NORMAL lens for a Spotmatic!)

I've explored the DA 16-45 and recently acquired a 10-20mm and the new perspective has an effect far out of context for the relative focal lengths.

H2