Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Tried to focus as closely as I could. My unscientific guess is that I think it was more than an inch, but probably close.
Sorry but I don't think this is a good example. Look at this my gallery:
Fata Morgana 2010: Jarda_Houdek: Galleries: Digital Photography Review
Some shots are made with DA35 or other lenses, but there are few I've done with the DA14.

10-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Sorry but I don't think this is a good example. Look at this my gallery:
Fata Morgana 2010: Jarda_Houdek: Galleries: Digital Photography Review
Some shots are made with DA35 or other lenses, but there are few I've done with the DA14.
What's the difference? Because your photos are prettier? Did you crop some of those photos?

The 100mm WR Macro has a well defined size. It's around 4.25in (108mm) tall.

IMGP1301: Jarda_Houdek: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

That thing must be 4 or more inches long to fill the whole frame...

IMGP1231: Jarda_Houdek: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

That one is more believable.
10-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Threadjack!

I've been studiously ignoring the 14-vs-15 and I-heart-14/15 threads, but I'm starting to think a fast wide rectilinear may be for me. And if I can sell enough old stuff, I might even be able to afford one. Ah, that Zenitar 16/2.8 was only US$170... Anyway, a fast 14 appeals more to me than does a not-quite-so-fast 15.

At first scan on the bay, I see the DA14 in the US$500-600 range. But I'm leery of more DA's, since such aren't so usable on FF (d)SLRs. On the bay I also see other 14/2.8's (I haven't checked details yet) badged as Tamron, Samyang, Falcon, Rokinon, Bower, et al in the US$400-500 range. I've yet to check KEH or equivalents. So questions arise:

* Are any of these guys anywhere in the same IQ league as the DA14?
* Are any of these guys notably ahead in the bang-for-the-buck race?
* Can anyone here tell me horror stories about any of these guys?

In other words, if/when I can afford a fast 14, can anyone here convince me that any specific one will keep me satisfied? How much does eternal happiness cost?
10-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I've been studiously ignoring the 14-vs-15 and I-heart-14/15 threads, but I'm starting to think a fast wide rectilinear may be for me. And if I can sell enough old stuff, I might even be able to afford one. Ah, that Zenitar 16/2.8 was only US$170... Anyway, a fast 14 appeals more to me than does a not-quite-so-fast 15.

At first scan on the bay, I see the DA14 in the US$500-600 range. But I'm leery of more DA's, since such aren't so usable on FF (d)SLRs. On the bay I also see other 14/2.8's (I haven't checked details yet) badged as Tamron, Samyang, Falcon, Rokinon, Bower, et al in the US$400-500 range. I've yet to check KEH or equivalents. So questions arise:

* Are any of these guys anywhere in the same IQ league as the DA14?
* Are any of these guys notably ahead in the bang-for-the-buck race?
* Can anyone here tell me horror stories about any of these guys?

In other words, if/when I can afford a fast 14, can anyone here convince me that any specific one will keep me satisfied? How much does eternal happiness cost?
I was in a similar boat to you, and I recently picked up a used Sigma 14mm EX f/2.8 lens, which is a full-frame rectilinear autofocus (screw-drive on Pentax mount) lens. I haven't shot a ton with it yet, and there are no reviews in the lens database here, but based on my research I knew that it had excellent construction and good image quality (moreso on APS-C where the center sweet-spot would be used). Downsides are that any 14mm full-frame lens will be considerably bigger than any APS-C 14mm lens. I would also guess that as good as Sigma's modern coatings are, they're probably not as good as Pentax's, but since Pentax doesn't make a full-frame 14mm AF lens such a comparison isn't possible, with the only real competitor being the Tamron 14mm, and my research led me to conclude it wasn't as good as the Sigma 14mm. The Sigma does allow the use of gelatin filters, and it comes with a little metal template you can use to cut a gelatin filter to fit the holder in the back of the lens (a feature useful if you want to get a long exposure on a tripod with it using ND filters, or if you're shooting film and want effects filters). The Sigma has an interesting hood design, where it's two pieces, a circular ring that has an inner 72mm thread that holds a standard 72mm lens cap. I haven't tested yet whether the ring vignettes the lens on APS-C, but if it doesn't, it could mean that I could reduce flare by using it as an additional hood, and then potentially use 72mm front filters (otherwise it's kind of an odd design choice, and doesn't hold much use for film cameras unless you want to intentionally vignette a photo by keeping the ring on with the cap off while shooting). If I had to guess, I'd also say that the large curved front glass won't be as scratch resistant as say Pentax's DA 10-17mm Fisheye curved front (which Pentax says has a special scratch-resistant hard coat), so I plan to be extra-careful and watch the front of the Sigma lens. It can focus as close as 7 inches, which I hope to be able to use to get some creative shots.

Unfortunately I don't have any direct experience with other 14mm lenses (full-frame or APS-C) to compare it to... the closest thing I have is a Tokina 17mm f/3.5 manual lens (a much smaller lens), but the difference between 14mm and 17mm is big enough to make any comparison between those not that valuable.

10-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
What's the difference? Because your photos are prettier? Did you crop some of those photos?

The 100mm WR Macro has a well defined size. It's around 4.25in (108mm) tall.

IMGP1301: Jarda_Houdek: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

That thing must be 4 or more inches long to fill the whole frame...

IMGP1231: Jarda_Houdek: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

That one is more believable.
Exactly. I always prefer to show pretty images to show what the lens is capable of. I checked andon the photo you suspect cropping I actually did some. But not much as you can deduce from the original image resolution. These tropical butterflies are often even larger than 4inch.

For the FF 14mm beasts - I actually like to use filters in front of the lens, also the FOV is wide enough for me. I wouldn't know how to use 14mm on film camera.
10-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Uploaded a few more photos I had taken on my first use of the 14mm:
sjwaldron's Album: DA 14mm f2.8 - PentaxForums.com

10-07-2010, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

Who cares about macro?

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Distance from the front element doesn't matter (and actually shorter working distances are often held as bad in macro photography). What matters is magnification, which is the distance from the sensor taking into account the focal length (mind you some lenses decrease their focal length to focus closer).
I am confused about why we are talking about the macro capabilities of this lens. This is not a macro lens.

In my opinion, the beauty of its close focusing ability is for street photography. It is great for getting in crowds, it makes you feel like a participant instead of a voyeur. The pictures feel like you are submerged in the scene.

This is a truly unique lens, one of Pentax's best offerings.
10-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
I am confused about why we are talking about the macro capabilities of this lens. This is not a macro lens.

In my opinion, the beauty of its close focusing ability is for street photography. It is great for getting in crowds, it makes you feel like a participant instead of a voyeur. The pictures feel like you are submerged in the scene.

This is a truly unique lens, one of Pentax's best offerings.
They were talking about the perspective you get from focusing close, which is directly related to the macro capabilities and minimum focus distance, not distance from the front element.

In your situation, yes the 14mm will let you see a bit more, but the 15mm will be much less conspicuous.