Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
Soon to have a DA 14mm f2.8

I noticed a local realtor employee selling their DA 14mm f2.8, and made an offer and eventually accepted their counter offer. So I should be picking it up tomorrow.

Quite the impulse buy, but considering they are a legitimate seller and the price it's not something a Pentaxian with LBA can pass up.

My only issue is that it isn't FF capable. Otherwise I will be enjoying it with the K-7 for sure. The only other wide angle lens I have is the 10-17mm fisheye. I'm looking forward to having some rectilinear wide angle! I hope for the day I can justify the cost of a 31mm Limited though... haha

I do actually like graduated vignetting in photos, but from the FF tests I've seen it's a seriously quick light fall-off. Well it's pointless to think about at the moment as I don't have a film and digital FF doesn't exist.


Last edited by sjwaldron; 12-10-2012 at 07:59 AM.
10-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,430
$300.00 isn't bad. I would have jumped on it as well at that price. You could always make your money back and then some if you ever decided to sell it.
10-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
Original Poster
Here is a shot I took after picking up the lens:



Not bad, eh? Having rectilinear wide angle is nice (my other wide is the fisheye).
10-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,455
Looks like a great buy. and a nice shot

I know a lot of folks prefer the DA 15 to this lens but the extra speed of this one is pretty attractive to me. I understand it also focuses a bit closer than the DA15.

Tom G


Last edited by 8540tomg; 10-06-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo
10-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Looks like a great buy. and a nice shot

I know a lot of folks prefer the DA 15 to this lens but the extra speed of this one is pretty attractive to me. I understand it also focuses a bit closer than the DA15.

Tom G
According to pentaximaging.com,

14mm = 6.72 inches
15mm = 7.08 inches

So it's really not much of a difference in practice I would think. The extra f-stop of aperture is nice, but the 15mm is quite a bit smaller and has better construction.
10-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,198
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
According to pentaximaging.com,

14mm = 6.72 inches
15mm = 7.08 inches

So it's really not much of a difference in practice I would think. The extra f-stop of aperture is nice, but the 15mm is quite a bit smaller and has better construction.
That is distance from the sensor. The DA14 actually focuses ~1inch from the front element. The perspective it gives is amazing.
And the DA15 does not have better construction. On the contrary, the DA14 body is much better made than DA15. Metal as well, but with rubberized focus ring and window for the focus distance.
10-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
That is distance from the sensor. The DA14 actually focuses ~1inch from the front element. The perspective it gives is amazing.
And the DA15 does not have better construction. On the contrary, the DA14 body is much better made than DA15. Metal as well, but with rubberized focus ring and window for the focus distance.
Okay fair enough. I think the manual focus ring on the 14mm feels chintzy in how it rotates though.
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Heart of the Bluegrass
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30
I just picked one of these up from a fellow member, and I am quite impressed with it. I love being able to get so close to my subject.

10-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,455
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Okay fair enough. I think the manual focus ring on the 14mm feels chintzy in how it rotates though.
I was seriously considering this lens a while back. I was quite impressed with the heft and build quality of the one I saw in the store. I opted for the DA* 16~50/2.8 as it was more versatile and almost as wide. In any case I'm sure the OP will enjoy it.

Tom G
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I was seriously considering this lens a while back. I was quite impressed with the heft and build quality of the one I saw in the store. I opted for the DA* 16~50/2.8 as it was more versatile and almost as wide. In any case I'm sure the OP will enjoy it.
Tom G
The OP is me. Thanks though.
10-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,430
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
The DA14 actually focuses ~1inch from the front element.
Anybody have any example of this? I'm still deciding between the 14 and 15. Not that, that would be the decision maker, but after reading the 60+ page thread over the DA 15, I am just curious to see more from the 14.
10-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Anybody have any example of this? I'm still deciding between the 14 and 15. Not that, that would be the decision maker, but after reading the 60+ page thread over the DA 15, I am just curious to see more from the 14.
there are only to things to consider with the DA 15 and DA 14,

DA 14 for it's aperture speed and DA 15 for it's size.
10-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Anybody have any example of this? I'm still deciding between the 14 and 15. Not that, that would be the decision maker, but after reading the 60+ page thread over the DA 15, I am just curious to see more from the 14.
How about this picture I just took for you:


Tried to focus as closely as I could. My unscientific guess is that I think it was more than an inch, but probably close.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 10-06-2010 at 10:18 PM.
10-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
Distance from the front element doesn't matter (and actually shorter working distances are often held as bad in macro photography). What matters is magnification, which is the distance from the sensor taking into account the focal length (mind you some lenses decrease their focal length to focus closer).

Basically, just look at the specs. In this case, yeah, the DA 14mm does get closer at 0.19x (1:5.25) vs 0.15x (1:6.6), but the DA 15 still has good close focusing:


From review database.

Speed and size are the main differentiators.
10-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,430
Thanks! That's what I had figured to be the main differences between the 2. The 15 should suit me perfectly.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
14mm, angle, da, da 14mm, f2.8, ff, k-mount, offer, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamron 14mm F2.8 NaClH2O Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 05-28-2010 08:22 AM
DA 14mm f/2.8 ajuett Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 02-04-2010 06:22 PM
DA 14mm vs DA* 16-50mm avian Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 37 11-30-2009 04:31 AM
For Sale - Sold: FS: DA 14mm Occam Sold Items 5 01-16-2008 05:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top