Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
16-50 & 50-135

I picked up both of the new DA* lenses today and shot with them in a trip out to the desert. Unfortunately I came home with no pictures worth sharing. I am so disappointed. The 50-135 is fantastic, as others have said. The 16-50 was a total let down. Back focused more than half the shots taken with it, underexposed a bunch and purple fringing was the worst I have encountered. I used two of the 16-50s and found the same problems with both. They all went back to the store.

09-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

I'd like to see Pentax step up to the plate and explain how they intend to correct the situation with the 16-50.
09-09-2007, 03:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dave that is disappointing! I wonder if anyone has been more courageous than I was and sent their backfocussing 16-50 to Pentax for adjustment. And if so what the end result was. On a related note, I keep hoping that folks with good copies will share their results to offset the bad reviews (mine included).
For now I am waiting for the "rumoured" release of the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in K mount. If that doesn't materialize by late October, then I will try the Sigma 17/18-50 f2.8; although it is highly rated there are many reports of "poor" copies of the Sigma, too. I am frustrated at the problems with the 16-50, in part, because for Pentax users there are so few alternatives. If you shoot Canon or Nikon, in addition to the OEM lens, you have equivalent Tokina, Sigma and Tamron lenses to select from. Ole I agree that I wish Pentax would step up, but that would be very unique; I do not get the senset that othe Camera makers do that either. And, as long the lenses continue to be in high demand they have no incentive to, other than to be percieved as doing the right thing. A long gone ideal in the corporate world.
09-09-2007, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear this news from you, Dave. I am now starting to get anxious about my forth coming copy as well. Well, after all, I will still have Da 14 to use anyway

09-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Sorry to hear this news from you, Dave. I am now starting to get anxious about my forth coming copy as well. Well, after all, I will still have Da 14 to use anyway
I hope that your copy will be a great one and then you can share the good news and more of your awesome photographs with us.
09-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I picked up both of the new DA* lenses today and shot with them in a trip out to the desert. Unfortunately I came home with no pictures worth sharing. I am so disappointed. The 50-135 is fantastic, as others have said. The 16-50 was a total let down. Back focused more than half the shots taken with it, underexposed a bunch and purple fringing was the worst I have encountered. I used two of the 16-50s and found the same problems with both. They all went back to the store.
Sorry to hear about your experience with the DA*16-50. I'm definitely holding off on the purchase of this lens until Pentax does something to improve its QC on this lens. Pentax may lose me as a customer if they can't admit that there is a problem with this lens. If one doesn't acknowledge a problem, once can't correct it.

Regards,

Ted
09-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Sorry to hear your problems about the 16-50.

Seems that I have been lucky with mine:

09-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #8

Hi. I just spent a few days with my 16-50*. So far I'm really impressed. I have not found anything wrong with it. Super sharp, nice rendering, just a wonderfull zoom.

09-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It was my time. I have had great success with equipment that others have had issues with so it's my turn. I'm disappointed, but I'm over it. I have really nice lenses and get the images I want with them so I'm still happy.
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
sft

That does suck - I have the same issue (my lens is optically quite excellent though - sharp and not bad CA) just that it backfocuses like mad and can also underexpose shots compared to others so I am sending it off to Pentax US so that they can take care of it. Unfortunately the 16-50 seems to have significantly more dud copies than the 50-135 - when you get a good one - it does seem excellent but it's a shame you have to get a good one in the first place!