Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma and Tamron QC

I'm in the process of buying a new Sigma/Tamron lens. Thing is, it's cheaper to buy online than through local dealers here (Tamron doesn't even have much of a presence here).

I'm a bit wary, though, that I might get a dud lens copy, since people all over the internet have been reporting problems. Shipping being quite expensive, what do you think is the average percentage of lenses that turn out to be duds from these two companies?

I just thought I get a pulse from the people who did buy Sigma/Tamron lenses.

09-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi Vinzer

Do you have any specific lenses in mind or are you talking about generalisations ? As it happens, I will be purchasing a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX HSM Aspherical Super Wide-Angle zoom in the next few days. There have been numerous tales on this and other forums concerning misaligned lens elements and inaccurate focussing issues with some early examples of this particular product. However always bear in mind that delicate items such as photographic equipment are often susceptible to unforeseen damage in transit etc. It only takes a shipping container to be dropped accidentally or for a courier to mishandle a box roughly for this type of thing to happen, so don't automatically assume that sloppy quality control in a factory environment is necessarily responsible for the problem !! Incidentally, I bought a Tamron AF 18-250mm Di-II lens 13.9X Zoom at the same time as I got my K10D body & D BG-2 grip a month or so ago and thus far it has greatly exceeded my initial expectations and performed faultlessly.
If buying via Mail Order, my only advice would be to explain your concerns and put some kind of definite agreement in place for exchanging a 'questionable' lens BEFORE placing a firm order with them. I understand that this may well not be possible in your situation, but I always try and source my photographic equipment fairly locally, as it's reassuring to be able to thoroughly check it over in person. One other advantage is that neighbouring retailers will often agree to price-match in order to secure your business and may well offer to help if problems unexpectedly crop up. I'm sorry if all of this sounds a bit like stating the obvious and naturally wish that I could be of some assistance in this matter, but wish you the best of luck in your efforts !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 09-09-2007 at 11:51 AM.
09-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everything on my list of goodies down there was purchased online except for the tripod and head. My K10D turned out to have a problem but I sent it in and its being repaired. I've had no problems with two Sigmas, two used Pentax lenses, and the Tamron lens. The cam and lens were over a thousand each. So far not a bad experience. BTW, all on ebay except the Tamron I bought at sigma4less.com. The only things I've purchased at Ritz were the tripod, some filters, and my tamrac bag. Sometimes you get a dud no matter what, but everything new should have a warranty
09-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Paul, Richard, thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, where I am, there's only one authorized distributor/retailer for Sigma goods, so they can charge whatever they want. As for Tamron, the one store I know of that's operated by the lone authorized distributor closed shop a few months back. Haha.

Oh, anther question. Do Sigmas and Tamrons have international warranty? I just might order from the US then if problems arise, have it fixed locally. I guess that's a better compromise for now.

09-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Tamron and Sigma experiences

I've had mixed results. I got the Sigma 70-300 APO MACRO and just hated it. The lens was actually quite sharp, even at 300mm, but the zoom ring was so tight and irregular that I had to trade it in at the store I bought it. I tried to have it fixed twice and the second time it came back even worse (it'd really stick around 220mm and would jerk the whole camera to get past that, at times).

I currently have a Sigma 17-70 and 70mm MACRO, however, and am really happy with both lenses.

I also have a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 which is a brilliant, sharp lens, I've been very happy with it.

I think if you buy higher end lenses, you might have less chance of getting a dud. I'm not a big sample, though.
//Don
09-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Forum Member

I don't have enough personal experiance to verify it, but generally Tamron ha a better reputation when it comes to QC.
09-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, most of you seem to recommend the Tamron. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the replies!