Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 24/1.8 EX DG vs FA*24/2 - any opinions?

Hi all,
I have chance to get either. Both at very good prices (for themselves). Now AFAIK, Sigma is 1/3 of stop faster, much bigger and heavier. And won't hold the resale value as good as FA*. But the FA* is 2x the price... Any opinions on this dilemma would be appreciated.

Thanks

10-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi all,
I have chance to get either. Both at very good prices (for themselves). Now AFAIK, Sigma is 1/3 of stop faster, much bigger and heavier. And won't hold the resale value as good as FA*. But the FA* is 2x the price... Any opinions on this dilemma would be appreciated.

Thanks
how much are they?

personally, I would go for a Pentax 20/2.8
10-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

my take

It is hard to know. You have to try them out and decide whether weight is an issue and whether IMQ is acceptable for you. I disliked Sigma 20mm f1.8. But the 24mm seems to have generated better reviews. In general, I feel the differences between f1.8 and f2 is minimal in the digital age. Both of them are IF, so focusing speed should be not much different.

Both should be well built. But FA* should be on top. I suspect that IMQ is quite different between the two. My FA* (borrowed from a friend) does not show very good resolution ( in comparison with my K24 and my DA15mm. However, it does show amazing contrast even at f2. Contrast is often ignored virtue.

Finally, it is the weight. The Sigma is a monster IMHO.
10-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and FA* was my pick... I just liked it better than Sigma in all respects...

10-07-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

When I wanted to go wider than FA 31, I eventually got myself FA 20/2.8 from a fellow forum member. However, if you want to re-sale the lens later, then FA* is clear preference. A fellow Pentaxian here in Israel has Sigma 24/1.8 and I saw some excellent shots he made with his K20D and this lens. I handled it once or twice and although big, it is not tremendously big, so to say. As an alternative you might want to consider Sigma EX 24-60/2.8 DG which is relatively cheap and very good optically. I have it and it serves me faithfully.

There is another interesting "sleeper": Sigma AF 24/2.8 Macro II. This lens is truly outstanding for its price. One of the 3rd party prime lenses I would not hesitate to recommend...
10-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If price is an issue, then obviously it's your wallet's call.

Regarding reeputation, the FA* is a top dog, while the Sigma is a "good" lens.

I suggest, if possible, that you experiment with both, and decide which one you prefer.

The difference in speed is minimal, and should not be a factor.

You lucky guy you

If ultimate aperture is not an issue, you could save yourself some bucks and purchase a DA21 too
10-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #7

I can talk about the FA* 24/2. I like it a lot, but some pentaxians can't get over with the corner IQ, which is kinda low. I was never disturbed by this, because some aspect can be easily corrected digitally (CA, distortion). Build quality is really good, It's usable from f/2.4 (f/2 is pretty smooth), and from f/2.8 it's really good.
10-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
As an alternative you might want to consider Sigma EX 24-60/2.8 DG which is relatively cheap and very good optically.

There is another interesting "sleeper": Sigma AF 24/2.8 Macro II. This lens is truly outstanding for its price. One of the 3rd party prime lenses I would not hesitate to recommend...
These are both very good alternatives--both really good lenses.