Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The A*85 outshines the DA70LTD and FA77LTD combined.
(I have all three).
It truly is a superb lens.
I stand corrected!

10-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The A*85 outshines the DA70LTD and FA77LTD combined.
(I have all three).
It truly is a superb lens.
It's more prone to CA than my FA* 85/1.4 though
10-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's more prone to CA than my FA* 85/1.4 though
Agree, actually most lens of that era were designed for B&W and hence color (and CA) was probably not a consideration. We still use them since those are great lenses but do they really have those updated optical design and corrected elements today's limited lenses have? I doubt.
10-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Old Pentax 85mm lenses are made too desirable by Pentax, by not making new 85mm lenses. Which is just not very smart in my opinion. Many aps-c users want to use 85mm lenses, right?

10-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Agree, actually most lens of that era were designed for B&W and hence color (and CA) was probably not a consideration. We still use them since those are great lenses but do they really have those updated optical design and corrected elements today's limited lenses have? I doubt.
The old MF lenses were designed for SLR cameras using colour and b&w film.
A lot of the CA issues DSLR users have with these older lenses, were not as a pronounced or do not exist on a SLR.

These older lenses will always work better and make use of the correct FL when used on a full framed film body.

Phil.
10-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Actually, it's just that digital sensors are far less forgiving than film was. That along with the ability to blow an image up to several feet by several feet on a monitor and then trash the lens for flaws that would never show in a print has made people unrealistic about lens performance, and willing to overlook the many fine qualities an optic may have because they are able to find one flaw.
Chromatic aberration is less of a problem now than it was when some of these older lenses were current because it is just one more thing that can be corrected in post processing.
The A*85/1.4 combines speed and sharpness along with really nice bokeh in a mechanical package that is a joy to use.
10-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I want it!

10-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
Old Pentax 85mm lenses are made too desirable by Pentax, by not making new 85mm lenses. Which is just not very smart in my opinion. Many aps-c users want to use 85mm lenses, right?
Right, I recently saw the Canon 85mm/f1.8 which is around $300 and stunning performer.