Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

help! K-x with an XR Rikenon Ricoh 70-150mm F3.5 lens

So, I bought my first DSLR a couple of weeks ago, a nice Pentax K-x. and I've very pleased with it!

I just bought a package of items from someone, used. Including a Pentax 28mm F2.8, and this Ricoh 70-150mm Zoom Macro 3.5

The lens fits on just fine, no pin sticking issues or anything.

but for some reason, anything beyond 12 feet away from me, it won't focus on.

I can set it to macro and get a beautiful focus right up to just beyond 6 inches away, and anything up to 12 feet away all works well, but as I continue turning the focus towards the 150ft and then infinity, it just sliiiightly reduces the blur along the way.

The Ricoh is a K-mount, but is there some kind of spacer or adapter I need to make it sit properly to focus at the longer ranges??

There's also a couple of screws or something loose inside when I shake the lens.. I may venture into taking it apart to see where those screws are supposed to be..

I'm in Canada, and haven't found anywhere yet that can service the lens for me. If anyone knows anywhere in London that will do a service for a decent price let me know.

Or even if there's somewhere I can find disassembly instructions just so I have something to follow when I take it apart myself.

Thanks in advance!
-Paul

10-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Something loose inside" does not sound good. It would appear that the lens focusing thread is out of alignment (no infinity focus) or the focusing helix is loose which might be why you have something rattling around inside. Fixing the infinity focus is not terribly difficult on older Pentax lenses, I've done it once or twice, but I do not know if the Ricoh is the same inside. If the helix is loose or something else is loose inside it is likely a job for a repair shop. Not sure the expense would be worth it for an older manual focus zoom.

You might look at the classic camera repair forum, they might have some info on tearing a Ricoh apart.

Also, be aware that Ricoh lenses can have an extra pin that happens to fall into the Pentax autofocus drive slot. You did note that there were no sticking pins on your lens but it is something to be vigilant about.
10-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I opened up the back end of the lens, and found what was rattling, the ?"bayonet"? thing that sticks out, the part that is supposed to open and close the shutter when you slide it, on the inside it had another piece of metal which was supposed to be screwed on with 2 screws.. the rattling was that piece of metal, and 1 of the 2 screws. So I got an eye glass kit and used one of those screws for the 2nd screw.
So, rattling is fixed.

I believe the older Ricoh lenses are similar to the older Pentax lenses. so I'm going to have to look into this lens focusing thread, or focusing helix you speak of.

Do you have any links available that can walk me through the general idea of fixing those issues?

Thanks.
10-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Try a search for "repair 50mm focus" and you will find a good bit of information. This one looks like it might be pertinent: Pentax 50mm repair 1 .

From personal experience:
Do your research up front, make sure you are comfortable doing this, assemble all the tools you will need, make sure you have lots of time, no caffeine, a well lit work area, magnifying glass or glasses, computer near by for web reference.

Get a large zip lock bag, some of the dis-assembly causes small springs and parts to fly about randomly, take it apart in the bag and at least the parts are confined to the bag.

Do not attempt if you are not willing to fail and dump the lens. This is always a possibility, especially the first time. It gets easier as you learn all the tricks, and hazards.

Good Luck!

10-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

1+ on the good luck...sounds like something is broken inside the lens. You did not mention whether this is a push-pull one-touch zoom or a two-touch design. If it is a one-touch, I suspect that something is seriously busted inside. The loose parts you secured are evidence that someone else was there before you and was not able to manage the fix.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-05-2010 at 05:16 PM.