Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #1

Sigma 400mm AF

I'm hoping someone can tell me a little bit about this lens. I have done a lot of searching, and everything I find seems to be on the APO lens. This lens does not have any APO marking on it. It looks like this:

It is a f/5.6, AF 72mm front filter, with integral hood. It is marked 'multi-coated', but has no macro or APO markings. The seller has the front cap, and a Pentax rear cap. He does not have the case (if it came with one) or manual.

Is it any good? What is it worth in good condition? Glass appears to be clean and clear, with no obvious fungus. The lens body has a few scuff marks, but is in decent shape.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

09-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

Have it. Posted samples in another post similar to this (the one with the mirror lens). It has high speed AF and has nice construction. I said all in the other topic :P.

Edit: This one.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/10754-sigma-400mm.html
09-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
from what i've seen this is a decent lens. i had one of the non macro, apo, AF model and it was truly disappointing.. other that the model i had i've seen good results from the other 3 models. i think photodo rated mine at a dismal 1.8
09-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

To my extremely limited knowledge there are 3 versions. The MF and the early non APO, which have a front filter of 72mm and are what Roy has mentioned as photodo 1.8 (of course that being said, there would be people out there using it and probably happy with it). Then there is APO version that has apo written on in it adn 77mm front filter. This is the one that is very sharp and scores about double what the other does on photodo (also reviewed on photozone from memory). Doesn't yashica have its own mount??? (dont know just thought I seen stuff for yashica or contax / yashica?) Regards Phil

09-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That's the one I have. I paid $175 for it in June 2006 in good condition.

Optically, it does alright, but no one would mistake it for an FA*. There are far worse lenses out there, even some with the Pentax name on them. On the K10D, it autofocuses fairly quick. On the DS, it's so-so.
09-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. The lens pictured is not the actual lens I am looking at, just a pic I found online. The curent price that is being asked for it is too high, so I think I will have to wait a while and hope that I can get a price reduction if it doesn't sell.
09-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Forum Member

I think , for up to like 250$ it's a fantastic lens for the buck..