Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Keebler

when are new lenses released?

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my pentax DA50-200 to something larger (but price wise, I can't do anything more than a 300 to 400).

BUT, being new to the DSLR world, do lens manufacturers have a specific annual cycle or is it whenever they get around to it?

I'm asking b/c i'm looking at 2 different lenses right now (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11683-sigma-70...-75-300-a.html), but I can't decide what to do. I've read messages that the Sigma lense is a bit slower for shooting sports or wildlife, but I'm still new to all of this.

I know one thing - i like the 50-200, but i do want to frame in a bit tighter at times.

So, back to my original point, i was wondering if there was a time in the near future when Pentax might be coming out with some new lenses b/c maybe I would wait then?

Cheers,
Keebler

09-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keebler (as in elves?)

I had the 70-300 and was happy with it. It is a little slow but in good light performs well. Sometimes at the 300mm range I founf the AF hunting a bit more than I liked. I did get some decent shots at a Grand Prix I attended this summer with that lens and I did not have the APO version which I have heard is even better. I sold it , because I went with a a different Lens for a walk around (Tamron 18-250).

Big difference between shooting sports (what kind of sports) and Wildlife. If you want a 70-300mm f2.8 AF for $400.00 - ME TOO ! I have not had the Pentax lens and cannot comment on that.

If you are willing to go manual focus and used that opens a lot more options and a longer focal range as well.

As for new lens being realeased - Pentax just relased a new series DA* out of your posted budget - and waiting for new technology IMHO is just a no win way to go.
09-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Keebler

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Keebler (as in elves?)

I had the 70-300 and was happy with it. It is a little slow but in good light performs well. Sometimes at the 300mm range I founf the AF hunting a bit more than I liked. I did get some decent shots at a Grand Prix I attended this summer with that lens and I did not have the APO version which I have heard is even better. I sold it , because I went with a a different Lens for a walk around (Tamron 18-250).

Big difference between shooting sports (what kind of sports) and Wildlife. If you want a 70-300mm f2.8 AF for $400.00 - ME TOO ! I have not had the Pentax lens and cannot comment on that.

If you are willing to go manual focus and used that opens a lot more options and a longer focal range as well.

As for new lens being realeased - Pentax just relased a new series DA* out of your posted budget - and waiting for new technology IMHO is just a no win way to go.
Thanks for the feedback Daacon. You are right...keebler as in elves - not a very tall guy

Good point about the used. I certainly don't have anything against getting used, but being new to the SLR world, I would really have to test the manual focus. I don't use auto all the time and have actually started using manual at times. I would be worried I would goof a shot, but I guess using the manual would come with practice right.

Does this website have a good list of past lenses? Do you know of any reputable used dealers in Canada? Maximizing cost would be great.

Thanks again. Totally appreciate the feedback.

Time for a cookie!

Cheers,
Keebler