Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Attaching M42 adapter permanently to a lens

M42 adapters are dirt cheap on the 'bay. I'm wondering if permanently attaching one to a lens (superglue? Pliobond?) is a viable alternative to constantly exposing the innards of my camera to the elements for the time (and attendant risk of physical damage) needed each time I wish to use one of my M42 lenses? Anyone tried or considered doing this? Any caveats other than not to get the glue on anything but the threads?

Tim

10-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know about third party adapters, but genuine Pentax adapters have a small spring held onto them with a set screw. Said spring is what holds the adapter to the camera. If you remove the spring, I have found that the screw is then long enough to jam the adapter to the lens.
Some M42 lenses have a large enough flange to cover the lock pin on the camera body, so a few carful moments with a Dremel is enough to cut a locking hole in the back of the lens so that the lens will then operate as a K mount lens with regards to mounting and dismounting.
I did exactly this very successfully with a Takumar 17mm fisheye lens.
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've snugged my adapter up to the Helios 44 pretty good by hand. Don't use so much force that you'll bend or break something, but enough to get it tight. When I go to change lenses, it comes off just like any other lens with the adaptor still on the lens.
10-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I've set up all my Super Tak lenses that way. Works fine.

Acrylic fingernail polish applied to the threads of the adapter will build up enough friction to semi-permanently attach the adapter with no risk of it unintentionally unscrewing. Easily removed later if necessary with finger nail polish remover or acetone. The low grip version of 'Lock Tite' thread sealant works too.

Most of the M42 lenses aren't wide enough at the mount to engage the lens latch. If you're careful, you can drill the SIDE of the barrel to accept a pin (or thread for a small screw) to act as a latch surface so it acts as a K-mount.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 10-05-2010 at 09:46 PM.
10-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tim_R Quote
M42 adapters are dirt cheap on the 'bay. I'm wondering if permanently attaching one to a lens (superglue? Pliobond?) is a viable alternative to constantly exposing the innards of my camera to the elements for the time (and attendant risk of physical damage) needed each time I wish to use one of my M42 lenses? Anyone tried or considered doing this? Any caveats other than not to get the glue on anything but the threads?

Tim
A lot of people do this here (not me), but how does your plan protect the innards of your camera, as you claim this will do?

You're still changing lenses, and M42 adapter or not--mounted to the lens or body...you're still exposing the innards to dust when you change lenses.
10-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't know about third party adapters, but genuine Pentax adapters have a small spring held onto them with a set screw. Said spring is what holds the adapter to the camera. If you remove the spring, I have found that the screw is then long enough to jam the adapter to the lens.
Some M42 lenses have a large enough flange to cover the lock pin on the camera body, so a few carful moments with a Dremel is enough to cut a locking hole in the back of the lens so that the lens will then operate as a K mount lens with regards to mounting and dismounting.
I did exactly this very successfully with a Takumar 17mm fisheye lens.
I agree with that.
I don't see any need to glue the adapter. I own 20+ screw mount lenses, and they never unscrew form the adapter (and if they did it wouldn't be any dangerous).
10-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm more in favor of just putting the adapter in the camera and leaving it there. Superglue is optional.
10-06-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I would agree with mike here

There is no big issue swapping screw mount lenses in and out the only issue I see is changing back and fourth between K and M42 lenses. I struggled with this point for some tome and considered resetting infinity focus on my lenses to accept the flanged (cheap) m42 adaptors. In the end I found I liked the M42 lenses so much I built a complete kit. So far I have about 11 lenses from 24 mm to 200 mm. If I go out I will take either my M42 kit or my K mount kit but never both

10-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the responses. My concern was less about dust entering the camera than it was that I might slip when removing the adapter and damage the mirror and other inside parts. The cheaper adapters tend to bind.

Tim
10-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The main disadvantage of permanently fitting the adapter is that you have to remove the spring before. But if you do this, the adapter is not clicking into place anymore but can rotate freely.
If you have a lens with a rather stiff focussing ring or stiff aperture ring, you may turn the lens, which may be annoying or even dangerous.
The only way to overcome this is to drill a hole into the lens.