Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What problems can I expect using an M-class lens or older on a K100d?

I've just found an interesting lens that might make a good acqusition, but it doesn't have auto-aperature. It actually pre-dates the M-class lenses, but is still a K-mount. I've seen an earlier post about the K10 having problems metering with M-class lenses, so I was wondering if the K100d had similar issues? Can anyone advise?

09-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have had no trouble with my M lens (50mm 1.4) and the k100d. Takes great pictures! I have several other manual non Pentax lenses, and have no trouble with those either. All K mounts.
09-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Grimlock

There are some reports of K10D having exposure problems when using M or K series lenses. There are also reports that the problem goes away if you change the focus screen with one from *ist DS.

K100D seems to be OK.

cheers
Kenny
09-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
Hi Grimlock

There are some reports of K10D having exposure problems when using M or K series lenses. There are also reports that the problem goes away if you change the focus screen with one from *ist DS.

K100D seems to be OK.

cheers
Kenny
I actually only heard of that problem with M42 to K mount adapters being used.

Have yet to try my newly acquired 1.4 on my K10d, though.

09-10-2007, 01:54 AM   #5

The biggest problem with using old Pentax M and Pentax-A lenses on your digital will be that once you see the excellent images these old lenses deliver, you will wonder how you can possibly justify the price for new lenses!
09-10-2007, 03:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have to echo Chris and expand upon it by saying I often shake my head and wonder why they ever quit making the M42 Takumars.
09-10-2007, 03:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My feelings exactly

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
The biggest problem with using old Pentax M and Pentax-A lenses on your digital will be that once you see the excellent images these old lenses deliver, you will wonder how you can possibly justify the price for new lenses!
Well said!!!

Regards,

Ken
09-10-2007, 04:12 AM   #8

I second what Chis, Mike and Ken said!
Some of the old lenses are just Perfect!

Bostjan

09-10-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
Is it really a question of quality, or the cost of a new lens is the cost of mental laziness.

Auto exposure + Auto Apature + Auto focus = zero thinking

Perhaps that is not quite fair, auto focus, at least allows us to get some fast action shots that otherwise would be lost, but I find that heavy reliance on the remainder of the camera's brain makes us think less about the technical aspects of what we are doing with the camera, specifically depth of field decisions, and lighting or more specifically what we want correctly exposed.
09-10-2007, 06:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
Okay. Thanks for the answers, guys!
09-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have come around full circle myself... began playing with my dad's Minolta, got a Canon AE-1P as a teen (which I still own) and after a few years with other digital cameras, I buy a Pentax K10D and end up buying manual lenses

All I can say is, the difference in the feel, the control is amazing.

There are lots of good lenses being sold on e-bay, but be careful with your sellers. I lucked out and after a month of scoping out lenses, I got my hand on a Pentax M 50mm f2.0, a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 Close to Focus, and a Sears 135mm f2.8 Macro, all K mount. In all, I spent all of about $110 including shipping. In fact, the 135mm was in pristine condition.

So shop around, and if you got pawn shops, scout around! Many times they are willing to part with these old lenses for a decent price.

Good luck with your hunt!