Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
More on why you shouldn't use polarizers with wide-angle lenses:

How to Use Filters
I wouldn't take that knucklehead's advice on anything.

I've used a CPL with my 16-45, mostly at 16mm, and have not seen anything that looks like the posted photo on Rockwell's site. Maybe this effect is for ultra-wides on full-frame cameras? Sometimes the shading varies across the frame, but it's still a nicer photo than without. Most of these were taken at 16mm with a CPL (the ones that weren't were taken with a 10-17mm fisheye):

Picasa Web Albums - Dan Bonhomme - Joshua Tree N...

There are different sky colours in this photo, but again, not a problem IMO. I'd much rather this than washed out blue.

10-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find both the DA15 and DA40 do great with no filters at all. I got a 49mm CPL and played around with it but decided the lenses are just fantastic without filters in the majority of situations I like to shoot in. The 40 also needs a hood (prone to flare), so if you put a filter on it you'll need a more traditional hood or it will vignette with the stock one stacked on a filter (mine did anyway).

I really like the majority of the skies I get with the 15 and no filter:

Then I save the filters for the lenses I have that lack the "pop" of the Limiteds have like the kit lens or older primes.

Last edited by mattb123; 10-08-2010 at 10:20 AM.
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I rest my case with Matt's post. Also check out the detail. Beautiful shots, Matt, especially the last one.
There's something special about this lens, and I don't think even Pentax knows exactly what it is.
However, not all Limiteds I've used have this same pop. They all pop, but not as brilliantly as the 15mm.
10-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I find both the DA15 and DA40 do great with no filters at all. I got a 49mm CPL and played around with it but decided the lenses are just fantastic without filters in the majority of situations I like to shoot in. The 40 also needs a hood (prone to flare), so if you put a filter on it you'll need a more traditional hood or it will vignette with the stock one stacked on a filter (mine did anyway).

I really like the majority of the skies I get with the 15 and no filter:

Then I save the filters for the lenses I have that lack the "pop" of the Limiteds have like the kit lens or older primes.
Really nice photos there Matt! Looks like I don't need a CPL then.