Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Turbo_Spool900 Quote
Thanks for the reply! Very useful information and much appreciated.

I think I'll try the Zen.
You're welcome. The Zen is a fine lens. But so is the 10-17. Choosing between them is sort of like being asked, "Which of your children is your favorite?" Maybe I should have said, "The 10-17 is more for many special occasions".

One factor is, how many lenses in your kit? My original dSLR combo was the K20D, AF360, DA10-17, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4. I used only those for my first six months, driving across the USA and Mexico, poking into many varied corners. That minimal kit covers a LOT of territory. It's just that when my kit expanded (or bloated), the Zen found its place.

Maybe I'll make this distinction: The 10-17 is more technical, ie it requires a bit of technique, and can deliver outstanding results. The Zen is more workaday.

So get the Zen, but save up for the 10-17, because it's a winner too.

10-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the reply! Very useful information and much appreciated.

I think I'll try the Zen.
When you get your lens, if the focus is wonky (some of them are)....

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye

Mine was. A simple adjustment as described in the link above fixed it nicely.

10-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
The colored filters that mount to the back of the Zenitar are for black-and-white film. Use the clear one for color.
It is important to note that there must always be a filter mounted to the rear of the Zen, even if it is only the clear one. The filter is part of the optical path and without it the lens will not focus properly.

Steve
10-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #34
Forum Member

Thanks for the link. I'll have to make sure mine is in proper working order when I get it.

My gear right now is quite limited. I use mostly the DAL 18-55mm kit lens and a 50mm M f/1.4. I have an M 28mm f/2.8 as well, but I haven't really used it enough to see how well it preforms on my K-x. Space is a major limiting factor in my bag, as well. I can only currently carry two lenses safely, so eventually I'll have to remedy that as well.

10-11-2010, 01:29 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. I'll have to make sure mine is in proper working order when I get it.

My gear right now is quite limited. I use mostly the DAL 18-55mm kit lens and a 50mm M f/1.4. I have an M 28mm f/2.8 as well, but I haven't really used it enough to see how well it preforms on my K-x. Space is a major limiting factor in my bag, as well. I can only currently carry two lenses safely, so eventually I'll have to remedy that as well.
The September Single idea is a good solution for that, every month only one lens, that trains you to look different (of course difficult icw one time holidays / birthday / weddings, but in you case you could do the 15-55 + 1 and rotate the other lens).
10-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How much did you pay?
- I am "again" going for the same lens (excluding transport below 75 Euro...), stupid LBA
10-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #37
Forum Member

I haven't bought it yet. I'm going to wait a week or two when I have some money coming in and consider my financial position.

Definitely going to buy it, though and the cheapest I found it was around $200 USD on eBay.