Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

LBA or a simple Christmas list...??

I have been trying NOT to accumulate stuff. Having moved a bit too much, I am tired, and realize that everythings adds up, and occupies space. Me-thinks about a relatively complete kit for most uses:
1. Sigma 28mm/f1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF Macro autofocus lens (although I'm not that into macro)
2. Pentax FA77mm/f1.8 Ltd (of course)
3. Pentax 100mm/f2.8 DFA (instead of the Tamron 90mm)

If the gap between the 28mm and 77mm feels too wide, I am considering giving up the 28mm Sigma, and instead, get the Pentax FA35mm/f2 AL or DA 35mm/f2.8. Just trying to keep it to 3-4 lenses at the maximum.

If my misery continues, then maybe (just maybe..) the F135mm/2.8 (IF). Can't possibly have everything, whether or not it is affordable is secondary (sigh).

Any thoughts?

This list, of course, looks like a multi-year Christmas list for many Christmases to come, and that is going to require me to be a really good boy, for that many more years!

10-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
I have been trying NOT to accumulate stuff. Having moved a bit too much, I am tired, and realize that everythings adds up, and occupies space. Me-thinks about a relatively complete kit for most uses:
1. Sigma 28mm/f1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF Macro autofocus lens (although I'm not that into macro)

If the gap between the 28mm and 77mm feels too wide, I am considering giving up the 28mm Sigma, and instead, get the Pentax FA35mm/f2 AL or DA 35mm/f2.8. Just trying to keep it to 3-4 lenses at the maximum.

If my misery continues, then maybe (just maybe..) the F135mm/2.8 (IF). Can't possibly have everything, whether or not it is affordable is secondary (sigh).

Any thoughts?

This list, of course, looks like a multi-year Christmas list for many Christmases to come, and that is going to require me to be a really good boy, for that many more years!
If your not into macro, than why have the macro lens on the list? I'd get the F 135mm if I were you instead of the DFA
10-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any thoughts?

Depending on what the actual IQ of the lens turns out to be I'd consider the new DAL 35mm f2.4 instead of either the Sigma or the FA 35mm. The Sigma, like most Sigma's is much bigger than either of the other two, and while there is a bit of difference between 28mm and 35, it isn't all that great. If your pocket book can stand it also check out the DA 35mm F2.8, yes it's a macro, but also so much more. And if the pockets are truely deep, consider the FA 31mm ltd. It actually is worth all that money.
I'd also echo yeatzee above and suggest a 135 instead of the DFA 100. Except that I'd go with the K 135 F2.5. It is simply one of the best lenses Pentax has ever made.

NaCl(my two cents and worth every penny)H2O
10-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Depending on what the actual IQ of the lens turns out to be I'd consider the new DAL 35mm f2.4 instead of either the Sigma or the FA 35mm. The Sigma, like most Sigma's is much bigger than either of the other two, and while there is a bit of difference between 28mm and 35, it isn't all that great. If your pocket book can stand it also check out the DA 35mm F2.8, yes it's a macro, but also so much more. And if the pockets are truely deep, consider the FA 31mm ltd. It actually is worth all that money.
I'd also echo yeatzee above and suggest a 135 instead of the DFA 100. Except that I'd go with the K 135 F2.5. It is simply one of the best lenses Pentax has ever made.

NaCl(my two cents and worth every penny)H2O
Oh no..... pockets are not thaaat deep. The FA31 is out of question. I like the idea of the K 135 F2.5 you guys mention. Helps keep cost down. I haven't seen too many of those around. I see raving reviews on the DA35/f2.8. This as a macro is fine. I guess there isn't much I am missing between 77mm to 135mm then. With the resolution of the 77mm, anything of interest could easily be cropped.

My preference for the Sigma was mainly for the speed, followed by wide angle. Again, I could crop out what I needed to, although I don't like doing that too much. Nevertheless, lets see what the "people-speak" of the DAL 35mm f2.4 sounds like.

10-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you used the F 135mm salt?
10-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't look at the DA35 Ltd as a macro lens, more of a wonderful lens that close focuses. You really do need to be close to use it for macro, but it is an outstanding lens and highly recommended. I personally like primes, but have you considered something like the tamron 28-75 f2.8 which is supposed to be a great lens.
10-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Any thoughts?

If you are going to use primes only, I think you have some gaps. but let's start with the 3 you propose.

28mm, 77mm, and 100mm.

not bad choises, but I would make the 100mm (or perhaps 90) as a true macro lens.

I think you have a gap or two, and should really consider at least a 50mmF1.4.

You may also want something in the 14-16mm range. 28 is not wide enough on a DSLR

so lets say the list looks like this

DA14
either the 28 you suggest or a 35 but not both
the 77 (perhaps also consider here an 85?)
the 100mm macro
if you want it a 135mm.

Now here is the point. with these lenses, depending on you rown taste and "need for speed" you could simply go out and get a 16-50 and a 50-135. It's why pentax made these lenses, and if you are not going to use the primes wide open, the zooms may suit you better.

It's just another option.
10-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
I wouldn't look at the DA35 Ltd as a macro lens, more of a wonderful lens that close focuses. You really do need to be close to use it for macro, but it is an outstanding lens and highly recommended. I personally like primes, but have you considered something like the tamron 28-75 f2.8 which is supposed to be a great lens.
Exactly my thoughts, and the reason I included it in the list. The reviews make this a good choice, irrespective of the fact that it has a macro feature I may rarely entertain using, let alone actually use (I just can't get that intimate with bugs; now floral - that may be an option). I actually have the Tamron 28-75, and love it. A bulky lens, but a great walk around lens, nevertheless.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you are going to use primes only, I think you have some gaps. but let's start with the 3 you propose.

28mm, 77mm, and 100mm.

not bad choises, but I would make the 100mm (or perhaps 90) as a true macro lens.

I think you have a gap or two, and should really consider at least a 50mmF1.4.

You may also want something in the 14-16mm range. 28 is not wide enough on a DSLR

so lets say the list looks like this

DA14
either the 28 you suggest or a 35 but not both
the 77 (perhaps also consider here an 85?)
the 100mm macro
if you want it a 135mm.

Now here is the point. with these lenses, depending on you rown taste and "need for speed" you could simply go out and get a 16-50 and a 50-135. It's why pentax made these lenses, and if you are not going to use the primes wide open, the zooms may suit you better.

It's just another option.
For the true wide angle, I was thinking of just using my 18-55 ALII. If the light is low, and I need to do a night skyline, I would just use the tripod. The DA14 is a bit too much $$$ for the use it might see.
The 28 v/s 35 - I hear much too good about the 35; you're right, can't have both.
The 77 v/s 85: If I can find an autofocusing 85, great. But again, the 77 seems to have such great utility. The FOV is a little tighter with the 85.
The 16-50 and a 50-135: I need to read a little about those. It never occured to me to look at these zooms, but of the 2, the latter sparks a little more interest. I should go back and read some more...

I have the following already: SMC M28/2.8, SMC M50/1.7, Tamron 28-75/2.8 and SMC M100/2.8. I am turning towards building some auto-focus, fast primes into the collection. The Tamron is a great all purpose lens, no doubt. Having that lens is exactly the reason why I am able to hold on and not just buy impulsively.

You guys have such incredible insight, and invaluable suggestions. The combined years of experience I hear means a lot to me....

10-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

if you don't mind MF look at the samyang (AKA bower, pro optic, vivitar et. al.) 14 mm and 35mm lenses.

I have the 85 and am quite pleased with it.

I didn't know you r other lenses, and that changes things a little especially the tammy 28-75

I would then advise a different mix, most likely the sigma 10-20, and if you are not pushed on the long end at all, get what ever 100mm+ prime suites you.

unless you do an awful lot of shots at F1.8 the 77 might just take a back seat most of the time to the tammy
10-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What about a trio of DA limiteds? 15, 35 and 70.
10-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

it would leave me wanting wider apertures but it would be compact
10-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #12

Original Poster
I think you have nailed it with this trio!
15 - a bit too wide for my immediate needs, so I think Ill buy some time with the 18-55 ALII until such a specific need requires more capital investment in this area. (yeah, its slow, but not too bad).
35 - I am interested in this, and would hope to try and get this (f?).
70 - Not that its an inadequate bad lens, but I was figuring a used 77 (f1.8).

That Tamron XR Di 28-75/f2.8 is sharp, but I am looking to try and stay with primes. As for the various 85's out there, I should probably give that a try. Seems to be sharp, from the "people-speak" out there.

Almost 90% of my use is capable of being met with the Tamron. One of the other suggestions was to consider a 17-70mm lens, a 77 or 85mm, and then 135mm. Yet another was the 16-45mm, a 77 or 85mm, and then 135mm.

At the end of it all, I do want primes... fast primes. I am planning to this over time. If I can bear the agony, maybe 1 lens a year (any more will require authorization from my finance minister, aka wife)
05-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #13

Original Poster
So, finally, I got the Ultron 40/f2. The lens is simply amazing. Colors are stunning, and its sharp as can be. MF is indeed a pleasure. The focal length is actually very comfortable, and makes it great for walking around with the split-prism screen in place. So for now, I'm going to keep the 18-55 ALII, the A28/f2.8, M50/f1.7 (just for the heck of it) and the Tamron 90. The following are going to be sold soon: the Tamron XR Di 28-75/f2.8, M100/f2.8.

I still have time to decide if I want to keep it or switch it out to the 43mm (for about $150 more), but I doubt it.

This is the little one in her car seat (Ultron 40mm wide open).
Attached Images