Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #31

Hi, sorry for upping an old thread.

I have Sigma 10mm F2.8 fisheye which is quite good in IQ I think. Also I have Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 zoom lens.

I've thought if I should trade fisheye for ultrawide zoom lens like Sigma 10-20mm or Tamron 10-24mm. What do you think between fisheye and ultrawide? Fisheye makes barrel distortion and it certainly is not good for all porposes but sometimes if makes nice and funny photos.
What I've understood, fisheye is more wide with same focal lenght. And also there was difference how they project 3D world in 2D plane?

Has someone owned both fisheye and normal ultrawide? How about usage of fisheye when ultrawide is awailable?

06-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #32
Veteran Member

My normal AF kit on my K20D are the DA10-17 fisheye (FE) zoom, Tamron 10-24 ultrawide (UWA) zoom, and DA18-250 superzoom. The FE and UWA complement each other; they don't overlap. AOV (angle of view) of the FE is about 100-175 degrees; for the UWA it's about 60-110 degrees. IMHO these three zooms allow more flexibility than any comparable glass. I use the shorter lenses in different situations:

* DA10-17 FE: Very tight spaces where edge deformation doesn't matter; rounded spaces; the intersections of angles; scenes where I want to emphasize the near and diminish the distant, or just stretch the subject; for full-sky shots.

* Tamron 10-24 UWA: Tight spaces where edge deformation DOES matter; emphasis and diminishing and stretching as with the FE, but not so much; the ability to work both tiny-to-medium interiors and non-claustrophobic street scenes.

Both are absolutely vital to me. The UWA sees more use, but are times and places where I *must* have the FE to make the shot. When a hemispherical AOV is needed, only the FE works. Note that these are NOT landscape lenses at their wider AOVs because of their shrink-the-distant action: mountains become molehills, skylines become ragged edges.

I also have a Vemar 12/8 fisheye (full-circle on FF) which is nearly useless, and a Zenitar 16/2.8 (slightly fishy on APS) which is still a favorite, although it sees less use now that I have the Tamron UWA. I also have a cheap 0.25x fisheye adapter that I'll screw onto the front of my DA18-250 or DA18-55 to get full-circle fisheye shots. Not real useful; lots of fun.

An ultrawide is a totally different tool than a fisheye. Not all ultrawides are equal. About 18 months ago I had the budget to buy any of the leading UWAs: DA12-24, Tamron 10-24, or either Sigma 10-20. I chose the Tamron because of its very useful focal range, its lower price and longer warranty, and known QC problems with the Sigmas. I recommend the Tamron.
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The FE and UWA complement each other; they don't overlap. AOV (angle of view) of the FE is about 100-175 degrees; for the UWA it's about 60-110 degrees. IMHO these three zooms allow more flexibility than any comparable glass. I use the shorter lenses in different situations:

* DA10-17 FE: Very tight spaces where edge deformation doesn't matter; rounded spaces; the intersections of angles; scenes where I want to emphasize the near and diminish the distant, or just stretch the subject; for full-sky shots.

* Tamron 10-24 UWA: Tight spaces where edge deformation DOES matter; emphasis and diminishing and stretching as with the FE, but not so much; the ability to work both tiny-to-medium interiors and non-claustrophobic street scenes.

Both are absolutely vital to me. The UWA sees more use, but are times and places where I *must* have the FE to make the shot. When a hemispherical AOV is needed, only the FE works. Note that these are NOT landscape lenses at their wider AOVs because of their shrink-the-distant action: mountains become molehills, skylines become ragged edges.
Thanks for informatic reply. I'm very beginner in photography, just learning things.

So, is it so that FE with same focal lenght is wider that normal WA? What do you mean with shrink-the-distant? (I'm not speaking english so terms are not that familiar).

Last edited by alspe; 06-20-2012 at 09:56 PM.
06-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I am bumping this thread for a later read.

I have been asking many of the exact same questions lately. What to buy... what to buy... ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!