Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #1

Lens help please

Hi Everyone!
I am trying to find information on this Lens. Would any of you happen to know ANYTHING about a FOCAL 28/200mm F4.0 -5.6 Macro One Touch Zoom Pentax PU mount Lens? I truely have searched every where and am at a loss. I want to sell it, but I know nothing about it other than it was my mothers, it is new, and it is still in its original box (price tag still affixed $159.00 Kmart)

Thank you in advance for ANY information you may be able to share.
Blessings,

Attached Images

10-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'll guess it's by Tamron (unless it says MADE IN KOREA). The 'PU' means Pentax Universal or M42 screwmount. Like JC Penny and Sears, K-Mart (Focal) primes were often quite good but their manual zooms were never the best. I don't see its twin on eBay now; I'd guess you'd be lucky to get US$25 for it. I have something similar labeled PROMASTER that cost me all of US$13 a year ago. If you need a little cash and/or some freed-up shelf space, start it on the bay at 99 cents and see what happens. Otherwise give it a whirl and see if you like it.
10-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
funny you should ask..

Just picked one up with Sakar label - 610g of glass. Very curious design, as its minimum focus is different depending on the zoom setting: never owned a lens that does that before! Mine is bayonet mount and has the A setting though, not screw mount, and takes 67mm filters not 72. Mine literally arrived last night, and today I feel lousy so no tests just yet. They'll appear at granitix.blogspot (link is in my sig) when I know more.

*Edit* the Sakar is indeed Made In Korea.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 10-07-2010 at 05:01 PM.
10-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's what I know based on my search for info over the 70-210mm version.

They were sold in Kmart during the mid 80's. I've read that they were either made by Minolta or a knock-off Korean manufacturer for sale in dept. stores. Due to the poor contrast in image quality that the lens provides, they have not held their resale value. Example in my review.

The lens I did the review on can easily be had for $10-$20.00. (I paid $10.00 for mine). It was the cheap price tag of a mint condition lens that originally attracted me to my lens. It takes the right lighting conditions and a little bit of image processing to get decent images from the lens, but it is a usable lens.

Going on what I know about my 70-210mm, and seeing as how yours has a longer focal length, I would assume that this would sell for about $30.00. There's not much demand for the Focal QTII lenses and every now and then you can find them on eBay for anywhere from $10-$30.00 in excellent condition. If it goes for more than that, I would be surprised.

10-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
its minimum focus is different depending on the zoom setting: never owned a lens that does that before!
Is yours a parfocal lens? Meaning that once in focus, you can zoom in and out without losing focus?
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Is yours a parfocal lens? Meaning that once in focus, you can zoom in and out without losing focus?
Yes, as long as I don't twist so it's not varifocal. Somehow as it zooms the point of minimum focus changes, I guess the physical stop in the lens is set diagonally? I've used some curious lenses over the years (since 1983!), and plenty where min focus changes once you enter 'macro' focal length - but not a variable minimum like this.

BTW my copy is quite good - its main drawback is 700g and poor minimum focus (six feet). Color and contrast are very good, flare not great and sharpness about what it should be for an elder lens. I'd give it an 8 on the scale, I'll get in the database soon and add my thoughts.
10-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I have the Vivitar version of this lens. It was manufactured by Kobori. Interestingly, Vivitar marketed it as a f/3.5-5.3.

Vivitar 28-200mm f3.5-5.3 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

The Vivitar has a wide aperture flange, won't mount on an KAF2 mount without modification. It also has the Ricoh pin, but it retracts when you turn the ring off of P(A).

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.